All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Laurenlover
join:2002-06-19
Ottawa, ON

Laurenlover

NEED HELP TWEAKING ROGERS!!

i just ordered rogers@home hi-speed, which they claim to be about 3meg down about 500kb up, and im seeing speeds around 1100 down and 180 up, here is my tweak test »ny-monitor.dslreports.co ··· nXPpppoe but when i change my rwin to that desired amount, i get alot of re-transmissions and alot lower efficiency rating, i've seen alot of other people get close to 2800 on rogers and i was just wondering if anybody could help me (i also need help tweaking my MTU cuz when i do what the faq says, it doesnt change), any imfo you can provide will be helpful, short of telling me to get another ISP :P

surflord
Bulby
join:2001-11-28
M9M0B5

surflord

your MTU should be 1500 with cable not 1492 which is for PPPoe connections. Try downloading a patch that will change your registry. I believe www.speedguide.net has Cable Internet registry tweaking patches.
Laurenlover
Ottawa, ON

Laurenlover

umm i doubt changing my mtu from 1492 to 1500 would make all that amount of difference, besides i just did it and nothing has changed really, i dont know why my connection loses efficiency the higher my RWIN goes, when its supposed to be that speed in the first place, am i forgetting something?, btw, im on WinXP incase that matters

pctechguy2
join:2001-10-07
Mississauga, ON

pctechguy2 to Laurenlover

to Laurenlover
Ahhhhhyes.....the infamous bit cap strikes again......In the Rogers home page I'm almost positive that new subscribers get a nice shiney 1500 down and 196 up....based on this your areagetting almsot what they have advertised....I have never even gotten closr to what they say.....even with tweaks.....Im also on winXP 384 meg ram and 10 gig free hd space

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

mau108 to Laurenlover

Premium Member

to Laurenlover
Turn off Windows Scaling, and Time stamping and set your rwin to 43800 .

Take a look at the screen shot above

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Laurenlover

Premium Member

to Laurenlover
Yep, you might be the victim of the newly announced system wide bandwidth throttling of 1.5mbit downstream and 192kbps upstream. A few people from Ottawa here in the forum reported that their speeds were already cut down. I am in Toronto, and my speeds are still in the 2.2-2.4mbit down and 385kbps up. For how long, I don't know. Just call them up and bitch until they give you a positive answer on the capping in your area.
Laurenlover
Ottawa, ON

Laurenlover to mau108

to mau108
i did what you suggested about, still i am getting these results: Your download speed : 1264263 bps, or 1264 kbps.
A 154.3 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 186828 bps, or 186 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

and it says to change my RWIN to a slightly lower number i believe 37800 is what it said, but seems to be working fine on your RWIN, so i guess ill just leave it, D: @ bit caps, they arent even lowering the price or anything, and in my area i have no other choice for a high end BB connection other then rogers, or sympatico :/ but sympatico is out of the question, i can only get the shitty nortel 1 meg modems, and my connection is less then desirable, like 700kb TOPS off peak periods, upload around 112. ARE THERE ANY ISP's THAT DONT PLAY FOLLOW THE LEADER??!?

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

mau108

Premium Member

said by Laurenlover:
. ARE THERE ANY ISP's THAT DONT PLAY FOLLOW THE LEADER??!?
IGS.net

Yup and looks like your speed has been capped on Rogers.