uniqs

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

I am Riding the Pipe (sorry Ericsson!) - DOCSIS'ed

I am not going to tell what speeds I'm getting yet ... I really don't want to jinx this! (I fear that if I tell, the world will fall apart again!)

Suffice it to say that my speeds are even better than I hoped for (based on the Terayon which should have got me 1.2/180 with 1.5/192 caps).

This is definitely the way to go for gamers ... 6 to 8 ms pings to the flfrd gateway.

Have you seen the specs for the Piperider modem ... up to about 40Mbits/sec down and about 1 up!

Cool modem!

Stuart

tymex
join:2002-06-10
canada

tymex

said by sbrook:

This is definitely the way to go for gamers ... 6 to 8 ms pings to the flfrd gateway.

Have you seen the specs for the Piperider modem ... up to about 40Mbits/sec down and about 1 up!

Stuart
You could be the few first guys on your CMTS, wait till your CMTS got populated, then see your latency. The spec doesn't matter a bit, the ethernet interface is 10BaseT 1/2 duplex. The cap chokes it further down to 1.x mbps.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Re: I am Riding the Pipe (sorry Ericsson!) - DOCSI

I recognize that, but it's still one hell of a lot better than the Terayon when I was the first and only on this node

I understand the spec ... but what I meant by that was the fact that with DOCSIS 2 around the corner, in a few years, we'll have all the speed we need at this end of the connection. Now the question is, will the Tier 1 still exist and able to sell bandwidth!

Stuart

tymex
canada

tymex

said by sbrook:
I recognize that, but it's still one hell of a lot better than the Terayon when I was the first and only on this node

The technology is better with better latency, but when a node is loaded up, there is not much difference. Just watch. The Astra PR model you got is not capable of DOCSIS 2.0 which allows finer grain control than DOCSIS 1.0 or 1.1.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Well, there's sure a difference compared with my Terayon

As mentioned elsewhere, when they capped my upload to 192, in spite of the download cap being 1.5, due to hardware limitations it sets to a max of 4*download ... i.e. 800. Which meant on a good day with a following wind I got 700 down, and in the evenings, sub 300.

This after 6 months of 1.2/360 as normal. (night loading was bad though).

Given where we are, the node won't load too high anyway. The nodes on this cable run from flfrd serve maybe 200 homes tops ... of which 70% have cable and probably half have internet. So at worst this is a lightly loaded node group.

Stuart

tymex
canada

tymex

said by sbrook:
Given where we are, the node won't load too high anyway. The nodes on this cable run from flfrd serve maybe 200 homes tops ... of which 70% have cable and probably half have internet. So at worst this is a lightly loaded node group.

flfrd 200 homes tops? I doubt. A node can cover a huge area.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

No, that's not what I said ... This node is about 200 homes tops ... it's semi rural and just installed last Dec.

I know where the node box is and all the two way D/A's are since they're all on poles ... and it comes on about 20km of coax from flfrd ...

For nearly 3 months, I was the ONLY subscriber on this node ... the CS techs told me that many times - along with comments about how lucky I was!

[text was edited by author 2002-06-19 22:21:16]

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by sbrook:
... and it comes on about 20km of coax from flfrd ...
that must be some kick ass coax cable...to travel that distance with minimal loss.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

There are D/A's (Distribution amplifiers) along its length about every km, but they are kick ass cables ... must be 3" diameter overall. Running on poles across windy open farms would probably kill fibre!