uniqs

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to elva lover

Mod

to elva lover

Re: Got hit by the 1.5/192 cap during the day...

They let it slip from time to time!

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to elva lover

Premium Member

to elva lover
I dont know, but twice when I called they told me how many people were on the node, and on my street. I remember when I first got Shaw 4 years ago there were 5 people on the node including me, hehe... How times change.
Ir0nLung
join:2002-06-21
canada

Ir0nLung to HiVolt

to HiVolt
wait, so is there or is there not a chance that rogers will resume or retrieve somehow their lovely speeds??

also can i do *anything to improve my up speed, thats one of the reasons i moved from crapatico, and now after a couple of weeks up speed cut right in half to 20k..

would it help if a called them or what?

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Not a chance of increased upload speed until the new top tier is announced later in the summer and if you're willing ot pay more.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by sbrook:
Not a chance of increased upload speed until the new top tier is announced later in the summer and if you're willing ot pay more.
I wonder when they introduce the higher speed service, if they will charge that retarded $50 service charge to change it, just like they have with the Lite, if you wish to switch from the regular to lite. freakin BS if you ask me, a couple of keystrokes and its done... lol.
Rorek
join:2002-04-26
Toronto, ON

Rorek to elva lover

to elva lover
Everytime that I've asked they've told me how many people were on my street.

I was having similar speed problems a few months ago, but I was also randomly getting disconnected, so I called and complained a number of times and no one knew what was going on, but could see that the latency sucked ass.. it was eventually solved by someone coming to my house and they came to the conclusion that the pole that I get my feed off of was craptasticly designed and needed an amplifier, so they fixed that I think and gave me a new modem and now I'm back up to 300K...

rAfChOw
Premium Member
join:2001-03-19
Toronto, ON

rAfChOw

Premium Member

I have also been infected by the cap:

2002-06-24 16:05:18 Speed test (nyc.speakeasy.net) 1226/182 kbps
2002-06-21 20:41:16 Speed test (nyc.speakeasy.net) 1192/181 kbps
2002-06-14 13:01:20 Speed test (nyc.speakeasy.net) 1847/359 kbps
2002-06-04 18:36:10 Speed test (nyc.speakeasy.net) 1237/361 kbps
2002-06-02 14:08:37 Speed test (nyc.speakeasy.net) 1998/344 kbps
2002-05-31 17:39:50 Speed test (nyc.speakeasy.net) 2035/256 kbps

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by rAfChOw:
I have also been infected by the cap:

Yep, seems like more and more areas are getting hit now. Bloody bastards!

green1074
Premium Member
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON

green1074 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
My question is, why is everyone that has been capped getting an upload of 180+, and a download of 1000+? While I am stuck with a download of 700+, at a max of 850, and my upload is at 112+, a max of 122, is it possible I have been capped at a wrong amount? I was getting amazing speeds before, 2200+ connection, with an upload of 365+, I don't understand.

rAfChOw
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

rAfChOw

Premium Member

said by green1074:
My question is, why is everyone that has been capped getting an upload of 180+, and a download of 1000+? While I am stuck with a download of 700+, at a max of 850, and my upload is at 112+, a max of 122, is it possible I have been capped at a wrong amount? I was getting amazing speeds before, 2200+ connection, with an upload of 365+, I don't understand.

Did you try using different RWIN values?

green1074
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

green1074 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
You know I did raf, I tried everything, anyways I am going to get a modem exchange. I have my ways. I think I got capped at a wrong amount or something.
Ir0nLung
canada

Ir0nLung to green1074

to green1074
damn, so rogers done it now for good. i called them and the tech dude said "everybody" on the network is cappped, i asked why he said dunno, just found out "today". i asked well when i signed up the speeds werent 1500/192, he just said well thats the way it is, thank you for choosing rogers have a good evening.

what i dont get is why they're cappin when they know customers will leave?? how does that benefit them?

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Heh, they know customers won't leave, because in the same price range you cant get anything faster. Sympatico is slower than 1.5/192, and they have caps. Of course if you want to pay $70 per month go with 3mbit dsl..
HiVolt

HiVolt to green1074

Premium Member

to green1074
said by green1074:
You know I did raf, I tried everything, anyways I am going to get a modem exchange. I have my ways. I think I got capped at a wrong amount or something.
I didn't even change my RWIN or anything.... highest i've gotten was 1350kbps down, which isnt that bad.... mostly it sits around 1100-1200. I'm not complaining about the download speeds so much, because most of the time I can get 140-150KB/sec on file transfers, i just hate the upload speed, most I can get now is 22KB/sec... that blows for file sharing, hehe...

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to green1074

Mod

to green1074
You on a Terayon TeraPro there Green ?

This was EXACTLY the problem I had.

Seems there are CMTS cards that do a hardware cap of 4* the upload speed unless the download speed is less than that. Some do 6* upload.

Do the arithmetic ... 4*192 = just shy of 800!

I complained long and loud to Rogers and ended up with a modem change to a DOCSIS ... so they overlaid my node with a DOCSIS CMTS in parallel ... got a piperider ... now I have NO speed complaints.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

These CMTS cards you speak of sbrook... what are they and where are they located? I have no such speed problem on my Terayon TeraPro. Its the same old ugly black one I've had for 4 years.
Ir0nLung
canada

Ir0nLung to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:
Heh, they know customers won't leave, because in the same price range you cant get anything faster. Sympatico is slower than 1.5/192, and they have caps. Of course if you want to pay $70 per month go with 3mbit dsl..

say where can i get this 3mb dsl for 70$ cause if the up speed is what it "used" to be on cable hell il take two, and also is there a bandwitdth cap..

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Well there are a bunch of DSL ISP's offering 3mbit down and between 640-800kbps up for around that price, for a residential line. Of course not all areas are supported, mine in fact isn't 3mbit capable, only 1mbit. Try www.canadianisp.com and you can find something there...

green1074
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

green1074 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
so in english, what do I do sbrook? I was thinking of dancing with my modem, thats what I did the last time. Dancing is good

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Complain!

Send an email to the support group and mention that this is a very similar problem to another user and that you want it escalated to a manager. As soon as the upload cap went in, your download speed fell unacceptably too. I've im'ed you with some other info!
sbrook

sbrook to HiVolt

Mod

to HiVolt
The CMTS is in the head end.

The TeraPro isn't big old ugly or black ... it's a sleek slim tear drop shaped blue modem.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

My Terayon is big old ugly and black. Its the first model, TCM100 I believe, and the tear drop is TCM200. I got Shaw in 1998, heh... They didnt have the nice ones then. Dont get me wrong, I used to get 10mbit down and 1mbit up with this old thing, back when Shaw was here!

rAfChOw
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

rAfChOw

Premium Member

That's the same one as I have. I used to have the shark fin one and a tech replaced it with this one. It helped my speeds back then, now my speeds are $h!t again.

green1074
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

green1074 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
Same problem as rafhow, except my speeds now have dropped amazingly low, anyways a tech is coming to my house tommorow, I hope I get a modem exchange, preferably a dociss, since my area is compatible.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I should find out if my area is DOCSIS compliant, and maybe put my old modem out of its misery... heheh
Ir0nLung
canada

Ir0nLung

i want to get my modem replaced, but what do i tell them? the only problem with it is as of 2 days ago the speeds are dropping by 40k and they wont go up and the cable output is burnt for some reason, thats how it came in the box...

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Break it. Fry it. Dump it in water while its on. Think of something. hahaha.