spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hman1

join:2002-01-17
Canada

For all Ecricsson Piperiders...Post here!

Please post your speedtest and tell if you like your modem or not. Im here to check out if I should get this modem. My connection/modem is crap and Im gonna bitch to Rogers for a new modem but first I have to see what i am getting. An average of if its good.

Thanks

skillton

join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON

man i told u different modems dont really make a difference... its the cmts and phub the're on that make a difference... theres no point in asking people what kinda speeds they get with their ericsson modems... the only reason most people get good speeds is cuz the docsis cmts's are almost empty... any docsis modem is good... it doesnt matter... all cable modems can get speeds way over the rogers caps... u mite not even get a docsis modem...
anyway i got the ericsson i get around 2000+kbps/370+kbps at all times... the most i ever got was around 2967/390 and i had the modem for 2 weeks
»/archive/rogers.com
check out that page to see some of the highest speeds i got
the ericsson modems rogers uses are about 2-3 years old i think
the're the hm200c... the newest modems from ericsson (now aastra broadband) are hm204c which are docsis 1.1 compliant
i think the hm200c is only docsis 1.0
anyway good luck getting a better cmts and a docsis modem

hman1

join:2002-01-17
Canada
reply to hman1

Yeah your right, I should stop. This post is officially closed. I still post some updates on the other posts. I wanna get one soon.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to skillton

Generally, a DOCSIS (compatible or type) modem should provide slightly better speeds on any given line (but we're only talking under 5% here) and slightly better speeds on a poorer quality cable network than say the TeraPro's do, which could be significant.

You will definitely get better speeds because of node loading *if you're moved off a heavily loaded CMTS* to a lighter served one. Note that Motorola modems may be connected already to a DOCSIS CMTS, so you may not see any improvement there at all.

One of the advantages supposedly of DOCSIS based systems is that they can supposedly split the nodes a lot easier.

I got *vast* speed improvements over my Terayon not because of the modem type, but because of a hardware imposed cap in the cmts line cards which forced a lower limit than the actual software cap. My physical line was capable of far more even on Terayon modems.

So, again, don't expect to see any vast improvements. There are lots of things that can cause poor speeds.

mau108
Mau
Premium
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to hman1

Motorolla -

2002-06-20 19:51:12 EST: 2357 / 315
Your download speed : 2357016 bps, or 2357 kbps.
A 287.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 315656 bps, or 315 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

At 8:00 PM
--
...:::M.A.U.1.0.8:::...

tymex

join:2002-06-10
canada
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook:

You will definitely get better speeds because of node loading *if you're moved off a heavily loaded CMTS* to a lighter served one. Note that Motorola modems may be connected already to a DOCSIS CMTS, so you may not see any improvement there at all.

The docsis overlay initially have better performance, when most subscribers are moved over, the "old" modems will have better performance.

If you care to check, you are on a different CMTS from whatever old CMTS you were using.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

Isn't that what I more or less said ?

And of course I'm on a different CMTS - TeraPro and DOCSIS are not compatible CMTS.

tymex

canada

You said " Motorola modems may be connected already to a DOCSIS CMTS". No! (what is the technical basis for that speculation?)
[text was edited by author 2002-06-21 13:30:48]

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

1st, I was on a Terayon TeraPro (non-DOCSIS) so I had to be moved to a DOCSIS CMTS.

2nd, many Motorola modems are indeed operable from Motorola DOCSIS dual standard CMTS systems - depends on the installed CMTS.

GodSpeed5

join:2001-11-15
York, ON
reply to hman1

I use an Ericson Piperider, I get 1200+ kbs on speed tests, and around ~300kbs upload!

Way better then Sympatico, plus tech support is great

tymex

canada

reply to sbrook

said by sbrook:
Motorola DOCSIS dual standard CMTS systems - depends on the installed CMTS.
Can a cite a reference?

As far as I know, Rogers Cybersufr users when converted to DOCSIS no longer attach to a motorola CMTS. They are attached to a CISCO.

[text was edited by author 2002-06-21 15:58:50]

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

said by tymex:
said by sbrook:
Motorola DOCSIS dual standard CMTS systems - depends on the installed CMTS.
Can a cite a reference?

As far as I know, Rogers Cybersufr users when converted to DOCSIS no longer attach to a motorola CMTS. They are attached to a CISCO.

Clearly it depends on the CMTS. Motorola manufactures a dual standard CMTS according to their web site ... It's been reported (can't remember if by Shaw or Rogers users) that they have Motorola and DOCSIS modems on the same CMTS.

Some info from earlier posts in here and the Motorola web site.

mau108
Mau
Premium
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to hman1

Here are the specs for the motorola modem.

»www.gi.com/cybersurfr_home.html

This is the modem Im using.

No speed cap yet
--
...:::M.A.U.1.0.8:::...

tymex

canada
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook:

Clearly it depends on the CMTS. Motorola manufactures a dual standard CMTS according to their web site ...

Specific URL?

said by sbrook:

It's been reported (can't remember if by Shaw or Rogers users) that they have Motorola and DOCSIS modems on the same CMTS.

What is the procedure they used to determine they have Cybersurfr and DOCSIS on the same CMTS?? They might _THINK_ they are on the same CMTS but in fact they are not.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

I told you what I found. I'm not going looking again.

What are your qualifications for being so absolute ? Do you work for Rogers ? What do you do ?

neeloy

join:2002-03-08
North Las Vegas, NV

Why does it matter guys? Same CMTS or not, the DOCSIS modems are probably going to be on a separate line card, so the DOCSIS will be faster until those line cards are equally congested. Its not CMTS backplane bandwidth that we are lacking here.

Maybe there's something I'm missing...

tymex

canada

said by neeloy:
Why does it matter guys? Same CMTS or not, the DOCSIS modems are probably going to be on a separate line card, so the DOCSIS will be faster until those line cards are equally congested. Its not CMTS backplane bandwidth that we are lacking here.

I have yet to see any evidence to support the view that same CMTS is used. They are on cisco ubrs.
[text was edited by author 2002-06-22 22:59:07]

neeloy

join:2002-03-08
North Las Vegas, NV

Ummm, CMTS stands for Cable Modem Termination System, a Cisco uBR, Universal Broadband Router is a CMTS.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to tymex

If you read what I said ... which is that a Motorola modem *may* already be connected to a DOCSIS CMTS ... not that it *IS* connected. And if it should happen to already be connected to a DOCSIS CMTS, one may not see any improvement.

Now, since you seem to apparently know more about this stuff, and from all accounts, probably work for Rogers, instead of continually questioning the knowledge I'm trying to impart, why don't you come out and tell us all exactly how it's all put together, instead of these continual attempts to put the things I know something (but certainly not everything) about down. I have no problem with being corrected when someone presents clear factual knowledge, but really quite resent being sniped at as you're doing.