uniqs
share rss forum feed

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada

Its time for an uprising my friends

2002-06-21 00:22:42 EST: 1172 / 182
Your download speed : 1172453 bps, or 1172 kbps.
A 143.1 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 182773 bps, or 182 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

Thats all I need to say. I'm sick of these stupid ISP's with their monopolies thinking they can do what ever the hell they please with their customers. I for one am now on the search for a new ISP and if I don't find one that suits me I am going back to dial up. I'm sooooooooooo sick of all this BS. Sorry but I had to vent so that I didn't do something drastic like call rogers and swear at them (again and again)

Please feel free to add to this rant and what ever you do do NOT try and tell me this is something they have to do cuz its falling on deaf ears.

Steve
--
18.98Ghz of Cancer killing power commin at yah.

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
Canada
I just dropped them a line and told them this

Let me start off by saying that I am disgusted with what you are doing. Raising the price of your service and then cutting the speed in half has to be one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard of. You say its to improve service? How? Where is the logic? Lets slow the speed down so they can have faster internet? NOT!!

If you have the balls please post a message on the boards at dslreports.com in the rogers forum. You can find it here
»Rogers

We will be awaiting your response. I'll let everyone know that you are very happy to let us know the logic in you price raise + lower speed cap = better internet experience formula.

Steve
--

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
Hehe mrspec3, I'm with you dude, but what do you think we could possibly do? Im just as ticked off as you that my speeds got slashed in half. Look how many people signed the HSE petition against caps. You know what I was told when I called Rogers (numerous times), first of all the techs knew squat about the caps, and when I mentioned that I could download at 300KB/sec before and now I can barely hit 150KB/sec, they told me I should consider myself very lucky, because the speeds I was getting were almost unheard of... This is how ignorant and uneducated Rogers stafff is. Yesterday at about 4pm one tech told me that their systems for my area were reset a day before, HINT HINT the same freakin day the speed was capped. I dropped the HINT on the guy, he didnt want to acknowledge anything. He specifically told me if the service were to be reduced, I'd get an email first... Well BS. I didn't. I wish we could do something as a user base, but I just don't think we can. In my area, when Rogers took over from Shaw in December 2000, they've since lowered the speeds TWICE, and raised the price by $5. How nice eh? Corporate monopolies drive me nuts... Thats my 2 cents...
--
Thanks Leafs for a great season & playoffs.

elusion
Premium
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON
reply to Exit
I had to vent, I was going ballistic, my speeds are lower than sympatico now, the upload is DISGUSTING, 121 kilobits, sometimes 112, I can't believe this, I am so disgusted. I called them and talked about it, anyways, steve im behind you 100%, tell me if you find a provider that is not dsl, because I can't get dsl at my house as yet.

tomveil2002

join:2002-06-17
Toronto, ON
reply to Exit
I agree something must be done. I have sent emails to Global News Comsumer Smarts, CityTV Silverman Helps, and the Toronto Sun hoping one of them will pick up the cause. For a service to charge the same while cutting service with no warning is an outrage.
If they cut peoples cable channels by half and charged the same be sure you would hear about that.
What are the alternatives to Rogers and Sympatico at this point?

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
They also raised the price in april by $5, and now in June they cut the speed in half... Half the speed, should mean half price, hehe...
--
Thanks Leafs for a great season & playoffs.

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to Exit
For me, its note even half, its quite disgusting. What is 848/112? To me this is *ISH*, no reason paying 44.95 to waste my frigging money.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

Yeah that is pretty pathetic green.... you used to hit over 2mbit easy eh?

Perhaps its time to change that avatar, LOL... make a new one "Rogers Lo-Speed Internet"...
[text was edited by author 2002-06-22 00:55:30]

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
reply to elusion
Isn't it great ... cap at 3, get 2. So you'd think cap at 1.5 should get you 1.5 ... NOPE ... lucky to get 1.0

Uriel3

join:2001-11-26
Rogers may say that the speed cap is 1500/192 but all my tests are telling me that the cap is more like 1200/185.:(

mau108
Mau
Premium
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON
reply to Exit
holy shiiiiiiiiiitzzzz

U guys are getting capped and my speeds are sky rocketing :S
--
...:::M.A.U.1.0.8:::...

skillton

join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON
reply to Uriel3
said by Uriel:
Rogers may say that the speed cap is 1500/192 but all my tests are telling me that the cap is more like 1200/185.:(
well theres alot of tcp overhead so probably around 1280-1350/192

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to Exit
2002-06-22 15:17:27 EST: 779 / 121
Your download speed : 779627 bps, or 779 kbps.
A 95.1 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 121951 bps, or 121 kbps.
my connection is getting better each day, isn't it great? At least I got a 121 upload, ISN'T THAT AMAZING?
--
In the game of Broadband, you always loose when you go the Rogers route.I'm not Canadian :P

Uriel3

join:2001-11-26
reply to skillton
said by skillton:
...theres alot of tcp overhead so probably around 1280-1350/192
The TCP overhead from my experience is usually minimal. Would be very interested to see whether anyone can verify those speeds.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
but the DUmeters and things should be measuring the raw traffic ... so the protocol should be counted.

skillton

join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON
reply to Exit
you can see the tcp overhead in the dslr tests... for 2500kbps it looks like @ least 200kbps if not more

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
Canada
reply to Exit
»/speedtests/25···easy.net

That was one of my bests test of all time. You can sure see the overhead there

Steve
--

Heineken77

join:2001-12-26
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Exit
An uprising!!! ahhhhh Now this is the kind of talk I like to hear! Unfortunately, Corporate America - In this case Corporate Canada lol - could really give a rats ass about the general public and what their customers deserve and request.

I wish there was an organization that would fight for the mere mortals that we are against these high powered 'gods' that seem to think that they can do whatever they want and get away with it.

Not only are we stuck in a monopoly ... thanks to Rogers cornering the cable market, but now they are going too far. I was outraged when I heard that they were going to be limiting our gigs/month in bandwidth...but now they gave us another kick in the coleones by cutting our speeds in half.

Beautiful! There has to be something that can be done. Although, on the other hand, life isn't fair...and I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that we will be given the bend over push .. and there won't be a god forsaken thing that we can do about it