Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

funnet
The Czech Republic

join:2001-10-20
Wayne, MI

My conclusion. Ameritech DSL Vs. Wow cable modem

Ameritech DSL -(In my area) Never ever a slowdown, always steady at 1,200 kbps down/240kbps up. Downtimes are rare, last one was several weeks ago for about a hour. However, they use PPPoe which sucks. Unresponsive tech support. $59 a month.

Vs.

Wow Cable Modem - (In my area) There seem to be alot of slow down reports in my area. High ping reported. Speeds usually about 1,300/299. Many downtimes seem to be reported. However, uses DHCP, which is a plus, I mean static ip would be better but dhcp is a lot better than Ameritech's PPPoe software. Responsive tech support. $55

My opinion of wow has changed from great to thinking I might be better off to stay with Ameritech DSL. If WOW ever get all this "issues" resolved, I will be the next person to switch. They seem to be trying, so maybe it won't be long before everything is stable and going good.
[text was edited by author 2002-06-24 11:51:30]

Ulwyn

join:2002-01-04
Gloucester City, NJ

said by funnet:
Wow Cable Modem - (In my area) There seem to be alot of slow down reports in my area. High ping reported. Speeds usually about 1,300/299. Many downtimes seem to be reported. However, uses DHCP, which is a plus, I mean static ip would be better but dhcp is a lot better than Ameritech's PPPoe software. Responsive tech support. $55
I'm pretty sure the most expensive Internet package WOW offers is $50 (if you don't have their cable TV), not $55...not a huge difference, but still adds up...

J D McDorce
Premium
join:2001-12-29
Westland, MI
reply to funnet

In addition to Ulwyn's comment on pricing, I would also like to note that many of WOW's issues are location-based, which really isn't much different than what one can find in the Ameritech forum. I don't know where you get your speed info from, but I live about 4 miles north of you and get steady speeds of 1510/294 on WOW after the cap change.

If I lived as close to Ameritech's CO on Michigan Ave as you do, I probably would have opted for EL via Covad for $49.95 when I cancelled Comcast in mid-January. However, now that WOW is available, I'm sticking with WOW.

cougargt

join:2000-10-21
Dearborn, MI

I have to agree. I was going to switch to Covad in Feb. but there was a small problem that stop the line from being set. I waited it out for WOW and before the cap I was getting 2000+/500+. Right now I'm more like 1490/295. But it's still running fine. The only thing that could change my mind is that they don't raise the cap back and the newsgroups don't get going. Why are the newsgroups so empty?????????

tomkid442

join:2002-05-16
Troy, MI
reply to J D McDorce

said by J D McDorce:
In addition to Ulwyn's comment on pricing, I would also like to note that many of WOW's issues are location-based, which really isn't much different than what one can find in the Ameritech forum. I don't know where you get your speed info from, but I live about 4 miles north of you and get steady speeds of 1510/294 on WOW after the cap change.

If I lived as close to Ameritech's CO on Michigan Ave as you do, I probably would have opted for EL via Covad for $49.95 when I cancelled Comcast in mid-January. However, now that WOW is available, I'm sticking with WOW.
What was with that cap change? i was never called or notified that there would be one, i feel kind of cheated.
Also, EarthLink sucks. i had them before i switched to WOW...i got unreliable speeds (advertised "blazing speeds"....but if blazing speeds are 150/300 yes, 150, then WOW speeds must be faster than the speed of sound, because I ALWAYS get advertised speeds(or above) of 1500/300-500, (whatever they say there upload is, mine varies in that range) until they lowered the cap, i would be getting 2 MB+

Ulwyn

join:2002-01-04
Gloucester City, NJ

I think that legally, as long as the cap is at or above the advertised speed of 1500/300, they aren't required to notify you of any changes...
It was unofficially announced on one of the chat boards that they'd be lowering them until they got more bandwidth secured, and then the caps would be raised back up.
[text was edited by author 2002-06-24 15:08:29]

Sean Network

join:2002-06-30
Wayne, MI
reply to funnet

Man whats ur problem! I have only had 3 downtimes for 5 months, and also it's like the fastest internet out there!

HalfLifer
Yep

join:2001-12-16
Fraser, MI

WOW isnt the fastest. Comcast has more download speed, but less upload, while theres OOL at 10mbps/1mbps.
--
Netgear RP114 w/DrTCP Filters.Comcast HSI @ 1650/115kbps.

J D McDorce
Premium
join:2001-12-29
Westland, MI

While I agree that WOW isn't the fastest internet on the planet (although some of their Colorado offerings rival OOL), I still consider them to be the fastest available at my house. While Comcast may have raised their cap to 1800 kbps, I never saw higher than 800 kbps when their cap was 1500 kbps and my neighbors (who still have CHSI) haven't broke 1000 kbps even with the new cap.

Higher caps do not always equate to faster speeds. It all depends on what the bottleneck in the system is.

bit2600

@adelphia.net
reply to funnet

If you think about it... WOW caps each node at around 200-400 customers... most of their competition runs anywhere from 1500-2000 customers per node... what does that equate to? More reliable service and better bandwidth. I love my service with WideOpenWest and would never switch to another broadband provider.