spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Ir0nLung
join:2002-06-21
canada

Ir0nLung

QUESTION>??

i have a question or an idea, first i manage a building of 112 units and im the super, so i was wonderin what kind of an internet would i need to get in order to supply about 30-40 units with it and how much it would cost...

mind you these people use their net only for checkin their emails and surfing the net. but they still pay $50/mth, also i do all the drilling and wiring and all that..

so if anyone has any info they can share with me pls do because im serious bout this, and i dont know if it'll work..

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Well, you would need to get a business connection, such as a T1 or some other dedicated line, that you could legally split into multiple apartments. Don't think of getting a residential connection from Rogers or Bell, if they find out you'll get into some serious problems. And as for the part about them only checking email, its not just email. Once they have dedicated internet, they will start using it, trust me. You need to think about it and speak to someone that has perhaps done the same thing, or knows about it.
Ir0nLung
canada

Ir0nLung

yea i was thinking of a t1 or along those lines, but who? dont know anyone that did it.. do u know any sites about prices of this or anything? i see u live in toronto same as me do u know anyone that has done this?

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

You can search for some ISP's that provide dedicated lines.... T1's can be expensive, probably in the vicinity of $1500 per month, so divide that by lets say 40 users, and its around $40 per month. And dividing T1 downstream among 40 people wouldn't yield very satisfactory results, if most of them started surfing... T1's maximum thruput is 192KB/sec, and if all 40 people start downloading, that yields a pretty pathetic 4.8KB/sec, same as 56k dialup. Even if a quarter of those people use it at once, the speeds are less than what one would expect from $40 per month residential DSL or cablemodem service. You might be going over your head I think, especially because its so many users you want to hook up. Did your tenants approach you with this idea or was it something you thought of?

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON

mau108 to Ir0nLung

Premium Member

to Ir0nLung
»www.attcanada.ca/busines ··· /t1.html
mau108

mau108 to Ir0nLung

Premium Member

to Ir0nLung
Go for OC3 or T3.

Earn about 40 bux off each person, thats 1600 bux a month which is I believe sufficient for a T3 connection.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Oh and I forgot to mention, that the T1 or other dedicated business line you might get will definitely charge for bandwidth used, so you might get hit with huge charges if your users decide to download large files, or do any file swapping online. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't do it.
Ir0nLung
canada

Ir0nLung

hermm, i gotta figure somethin out either splitting one of them 70$/month or supplying the whole damn building..

but see the thing is these people dont use their net for what i do.. i know all of them and they work from sunrise to sunset, all they want is to be able to surf and check mail or occasionally download a game or somethin... they dont run fileservers or anything like that, and none of them have kids.

i dunno i have to look into this cause im not satisfied with rogers new cap business and i need to find a way around it... but thnx for the info though!!

Exit

join:2001-04-10
Canada

Exit to Ir0nLung

to Ir0nLung
»Building an ISP: Step 1 - Headend

»Building an ISP: Step 2 - Infrastructure

»Building an ISP: Step 3 - Customer Installation

Take a look at what this kid did. Its purely amazing. Brings a tear to my eye

Steve

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Ir0nLung

Premium Member

to Ir0nLung
if these people only use the internet for email and other basic stuff, why would you want to fork out the big bucks and be on the hook for $1500/month..just let them get their own dial up service-if enough of them are online at the same time the speeds will be the same, no worries about excess bandwidth charges, and it will work with everyones computers without any problems.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Ir0nLung

Premium Member

to Ir0nLung
Well, you are a super, and your building probably has a contract with Rogers to provider cable tv service, so maybe you can talk with Rogers about some sort of internet plan for the building.
Ir0nLung
canada

Ir0nLung to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
hehe, this was their idea. and if theyre already paying 50$ why not get somethin better, trust me bandwidth excess is not a problem as i said before.

but setting all this up is thats what worries me and the prices...
Ir0nLung

Ir0nLung to HiVolt

to HiVolt
shit, i never thought about that.. its under contract to LOOK communciations and ROGERS..

but what kind of service would they offer.. im gonna check up on this in the mornin.

thnx for the idea, never would've thought of this

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Ir0nLung

Premium Member

to Ir0nLung
Tell your tenants about Rogers Hi-Speed Lite, its 3 times faster than dialup 128kbps down and 64kbps up, for $24.95 a month. Thats quite enough for email and the occasional download. And the price is consistant with most dialup ISP's unlimited plans, and you dont need to dial, and tie up the phone line. Honestly, don't get too far ahead of yourself, trying to be the building's internet provider. What happens if they dont pay you on time, or start screwing around? The bills will be big from the supplier of your connection.