Search similar:

uniqs

Evil Mojo
@cpe.net.cable.rogers

Evil Mojo

Anon

Using a router

Hello everyone,

I use Rogers high speed at home and I have recently bought a Linksys Router so that the three computers in my home can all use the internet.

I have encountered a problem setting up the router however. For the WAN IP Address, I selected Obtain IP Address Automatically and when I restarted the modem and the router, it does not obtain an IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway Address nor the DNS. As a result, none of my computers can connect to the internet.

Aside from this problem, everything else is working perfectly. The router was able to assign different IP addresses to each of my computers and the computers were able to access files on the network.

Are there some special settings I have to set for Rogers? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Evil Mojo
neeloy
join:2002-03-08
North Las Vegas, NV

neeloy

No, your settings are fine, just call into rogers and ask them to reset you mac address lock (or flush your arp table, same diff). After they do that it should work.

Exit

join:2001-04-10
Canada

Exit to Evil Mojo

to Evil Mojo
That could take a while. Just plug the modem back into the computer it was in before. Release the IP from that computer and do NOT renew it. Then plug the modem into the router and it should now get an IP. Or you could call Rogers

Steve

Evil Mojo
@cpe.net.cable.rogers

Evil Mojo to Evil Mojo

Anon

to Evil Mojo
it works! thank you very much
scooter2002
join:2002-08-11

scooter2002

how can you use a router with Rogers? I have one and it won't connect on either computer. This router worked perfect with sympatico instructions were simple. If anyone can give me detailed step by step instructions from plug in modem and router to configuring windows and router

would be greatly appreciated. I am from Etobicoke if that helps

thanks
manilaice
Lo.Fi
join:2001-07-04
analogavenue

manilaice

said by scooter2002:
If anyone can give me detailed step by step instructions from plug in modem and router to configuring windows and router

the detail is lost merely because i don't know what brand of router you're using, but the concepts remain the same. what you need to do to set up the router is the following:

1) connect all of your connections, that is, from the modem to the router's WAN port and from the router's ports to the computer(s).
2) figure out what your router's admin page IP address is. it's usually listed in the manual and if not, probably on the support pages of the company's website. or some forums. or something. but this isn't a hard number to find. it should start with 192.168.x.x
3) you could probably ping the router to see if you're connected properly or if anything funny is going on with your local connection, but it should be okay. if you do feel the need, go to start, run, type 'command' then when the dos prompt comes up, type in 'ping 192.168.x.x' where that is the IP address you've now found. if there's problems, you won't be able to even find the router. but in that case, that's a much bigger problem. if everything's alright, onwards!
4) now that you've got the ip address, go into internet explorer of any of those machines connected to the router, and type in »192.168.x.x or whatever address is listed in the manual for the admin setup page. most home-use routers nowadays are configured via a web page which is built into the router and you can access with your web browser.
5) it may ask you for a login so make sure you have that too, again, listed in the manual or the company's support pages.
6) once you have logged in, if you don't have an auto-setup option or a wizard that walks you through, then make sure you have the following settings. the system name you can leave blank, the domain name is automatically provided assuming you've got a connection with your modem, WAN IP address is auto, and DNS server is auto.
7) depending on whatever router you have, you may have to set your connection, whether it be PPPoE or DHCP. to put it in crude terms, Sympatico = PPPoE and Rogers = DHCP. since you're on rogers, specify that you have a DHCP account and everything is obtained automatically. what may be happening with your router is that since you were on sympatico before, you had to set up a PPPoE login and now it's looking for that connection and it's not finding it. the settings may just need to be changed.
8) save your new settings on the router, reset your computer and everything should be good to go. if not, the wonderful folks here at dslr will keep helping you out.

again, let me reiterate that the detail is lost because i don't know what brand of router you have, but if you follow these steps, then you should be good to go.

good luck!

RouterUser
@206.222.x.x

RouterUser

Anon

Was browsing and saw the question - I use a router myself on Rogers so thought I could help. Neeloy has identified the issue most likely to be stopping Rogers service from reaching the LAN puters. However, on some (most I think), you can 'clone' the MAC address on the router. The ISP has captured the MAC address of your ethernet card when you first set up your connection and it will reject connections from any other MAC addresses unless (a) you call Rogers and ask them to reset the MAC block or (b) you 'clone' your original ethernet cards MAC address into your router - that way Rogers still sees the same MAC address. I have a SMC Barricade that offers a clone MAC address option - I logged into the administrators screen from the PC that was previously connected directly to Rogers, click clone and then all was fine.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX to Evil Mojo

Premium Member

to Evil Mojo
Well... I got a linksys hub.. I can't get it to share the same connection without buying a separate IP from Rogers. Whereas, with Sympatico (Old ISP), their server would allow me to connect simultaneously with different IPs on each connect. Now every time I switch comps, I have to release IP from the one I *was* using and renew it to the one I'm switching to.

I guess that's one down side of Rogers

Another one which really annoys me is that they capped speeds to 1.5megs the DATE that I had it installed. I purposely cancelled Sympatico because of their bandwidth limits (5gb up/down). I DON'T want to pay $7.95 / gb.. If Rogers ends up doing this too, they can say goodbye! I'll try to find an alternative =\

Rogersbum
@cpe.net.cable.rogers

Rogersbum to manilaice

Anon

to manilaice
Yeah, I have D-Link 614+ and it refuses to get an IP from Rogers. I don't understand, when I plug it in as a client behind my SMC barricade, it works fine and obtains an IP from the SMC router...but when it's connected directly to the cablemodem it can't get the IP. The guys at rogers say they can see the DHCP request come in, and get granted, but the thing doesn't pick anything up.

Like i said, it works fine behind the SMC, and it worked fine on ATTBI's service...whats going on here?

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano to BliZZardX

MVM

to BliZZardX
said by zInfinity_:
Well... I got a linksys hub.. I can't get it to share the same connection without buying a separate IP from Rogers. Whereas, with Sympatico (Old ISP), their server would allow me to connect simultaneously with different IPs on each connect. Now every time I switch comps, I have to release IP from the one I *was* using and renew it to the one I'm switching to.

I guess that's one down side of Rogers

Another one which really annoys me is that they capped speeds to 1.5megs the DATE that I had it installed. I purposely cancelled Sympatico because of their bandwidth limits (5gb up/down). I DON'T want to pay $7.95 / gb.. If Rogers ends up doing this too, they can say goodbye! I'll try to find an alternative =\
Correct. You can't use HUB or switch with Rogers unless you pay for another IP. You have to use router.
Hub or switch does work with Sympatico because they offer you 3 IPs for free.