uniqs
share rss forum feed

weales

join:2002-06-30
Hampton, ON
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

Short of cable by 1000 feet.

Like the title says, I'm short of getting cable by 1000 feet. It all started back in July of lasy year when I got a flyer in the mail that said cable on the internet was coming to my area (Hampton) in July. I called Roger's the next day and asked if it was really available. They said yes and I proceeded to fill out the info and they said someone would be around in 3 days or so to hook me up.

A week went by and no one showed up. I called back to find out now it wasn't available in my area. I then found out that my brother's friend got it and he only lives a 3 min drive from me. So I get back on the horn to found s they cut the service short of me by only a 1000 feet. The person on the other end said these exact words in a very rude manner "You'll never get service, ever."

I wasn't done yet, so I called back several times and every time I called they gave me a different answer. So I started writing emails to find out and this time they all gave me the same answer, no.

I explained my situation, I told them I lived on a busy road (Taunton road which turns into Steeles) told them it was for a business purpose, told them I had a big business next store to me and a bunch of houses were around me. Still they said no.

I simply do not understand Roger's cause a friend of mine lives near Markham and has it but lives on a backwater road with no one around him.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this or have any ideas on what I could do? DSL is supposedly not available in my area, Express Vu is a rip off in my opinion and I honestly do not feel like forking out 2000 dollars on a 2 way satellite dish.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

quote:
I simply do not understand Roger's cause a friend of mine lives near Markham and has it but lives on a backwater road with no one around him.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this or have any ideas on what I could do? DSL is supposedly not available in my area, Express Vu is a rip off in my opinion and I honestly do not feel like forking out 2000 dollars on a 2 way satellite dish.

Rogers has limits on their cable system. They are related to service area and permission to use (rent) hydro poles. Unless your area is slated for immediate residential development (and I know that area of Durham Region well), You are indeed out of luck. And as I recall, Hampton was not expected to get much development...
--
Bell HSE user by default...

elusion
Premium
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON
reply to weales

That almost happened to me weales, But luckily, they gave me a RG-11 cable, its really thick, can hold the signal, other from that, I wasn't going to get cable. It took an additional 3 weeks for them to come back, took 4 hours for them to run the cable from wherever. Ask about the RG-11.
--
In the game of Broadband, you always loose when you go the Rogers route.I'm not Canadian :P

neeloy

join:2002-03-08
North Las Vegas, NV
reply to weales

Are you requesting Rogers business cable? or home cable? For business cable they will usually quote you a fee to have a cable run to your location. If that doesn't work, there is a possibility that I could offer you DSL for $129/mo. IM or e-mail me your address for more info.

skillton

join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON
reply to weales

offer me dsl
i live in scarboro too
cheaper tho

neeloy

join:2002-03-08
North Las Vegas, NV

lol. Well this is more a business class DSL. It comes with a SLA and is available 7 kms from the CO. Its not cheap, but good for people who really need it or rely on it. Sorry!

travisc

join:2001-11-09
Uxbridge, ON
reply to weales

neeloy, where's the CO out there? My dad lives in Enniskillen and is current stuck with ExpressVu's cruddy satellite internet service.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

said by travisc:
neeloy, where's the CO out there? My dad lives in Enniskillen and is current stuck with ExpressVu's cruddy satellite internet service.
The CO for Enniskillen is in Hampton, I think. When I lived in Blackstock (986-xxxx), it was long distance to the next exchange, which was Hampton. It came up as far as Scugog Township boundary.
--
Bell HSE user by default...