Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Heineken77

join:2001-12-26
Etobicoke, ON

Great Link! - Find Canadian ISPs!!

Hey Fellow Canadians,

Here is a fantastic link to site that links Canadian ISPs that offer Broadband connections. You can see there are still plenty of Broadband ISPs that offer great speeds and no transfer caps! Another great thing about this link, is that I didn't even realize that we had so many options!

AEI is looking sweet right about now to me!

DSL 1200/160 (kb/sec) $ 29.95
3500/800 (kb/sec) $ 49.95

However they do state that they impose a 20 gig/month transfer limit. Even still, I was doing some research and some have said that they don't impose that.

If you remember awhile back, I went to Telus aDSL...and they state a bandwidth cap on their website, however when I spoke to various customer service reps, they all said that they don't impose it. Go figure.

Anyhow....that 3500/800 ((crazy upstream!)) is looking very sweet to me. There are other ISPs on the site that I'm about to refer you too that equal this speed, mabye for $20 more .. and no caps. Search around as I haven't went too deep into the site myself yet.

I would love to hear all of your opinions on the various companies you have found there, and which ones you think would be a good choice - and why, and whether or not you're going to make the switcheroo as well!

»www.canadianisp.com

Click on your respective province in the top bar of the site and do a search for your city.

Cheers!
Heineken

Bob Carrick
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2000-04-24
New York, NY

I just have to say thanks for talking so kindly about my new website. We are getting new ISPs signing up every week, building new tools every week, the site is only 16 days old so it's really young and we have so many plans coming for the site.
--
Bobhttp://www.carricksolutions.com - The largest PPPoE Help Website, including Tango Manager, EnterNet, WinPoET, MacPoET, Sympatico Access Manager,RASPPPoE, CFoS, NetVoyager, Broadjump SAM

Heineken77

Etobicoke, ON

Hey Bob!!

hehe..I saw you post the link, and I didn't even realize that it was your website. That's a wonderful thing you got going on for us in Canada, and I thank you very much! So far your site is very interactive, informative and has a great layout! I really like the fact where people can make reviews on their respective ISPs, as well as the rating scheme you have for people to enter in their opinions. It's hard sometimes finding sites, where you have to click each link, go directly to their site....scan until you finally find the pricing speed down/up....on your site it's all there, and I really like that!

Good luck on the site, I hope to see you around for a very long time. Regarding another Canadian ISP that I didn't see mentioned there is Telus aDSL..and they are expanding across Canada, recently making their move into Ontario.

Thanks again Bob
Heineken

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada
reply to Heineken77

Heineken just so you know AEI has a download cap. They let you have 20/20GBytes so its not that bad and the speed rocks. I have been looking at them for a week or so to now and I like what I am seeing.

Steve
--
18.98Ghz of Cancer killing power commin at yah.

OLDb34tBoX
Premium
join:2001-03-07
reply to Heineken77

I'm looking into AEI too, I just sent my availability check in.

Heineken77

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Heineken77

Glad to hear that both of you are looking into AEI I'm seriously considering them now too. Hell for 3500/800 for generally the same cost I'm paying Rogers $49.95 ...this seems like a SWEET deal!

Again, my main concern about this would be latency issues compared to Rogers....

Quad....what if AEI does strictly enforce the 20/20gb max transfer limit per month....how many hours a day would you figure we'd have to play on Gamespy a month in order to surpass this limit? Also, do you figure when XBOX Live comes out, this limit won't even be an issue.

Heineken

Heineken77

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Exit

Hey Crunch,

What made you decide to look into AEI over IGS (Information Gateway Services) Hear anything better about AEI or anything that makes you feel more secure going with them?

IGS offers 3000/800 at the same price as AEI without the transfer cap:
»www.canadianisp.com/cgi-bin/isps···Services

Finally ... 1 more question.

I'm assuming these services are DSL. Telus offers aDSL at 2500/600 ... even though Telus is slower in transfer speed, would latency be better due to the fact it's aDSL and not just regular DSL? I don't quite understand the difference.

OLDb34tBoX
Premium
reply to Heineken77

X-Box Live will still run through your existing ISP, I don't know why it's so hard to introduce a service, many companies are already dominating the market.

20/20GB's, is ENOUGH You should download either DU Meter or Analog X Netstat, and measure yourself how much bandwidth you use...
The average person (and I know some people will disagree) spends about 2-3GB's a month, 20/20 is plenty, I can see clearly now the bitcap's higher..Heh, 20/20.
--
"That Tommy Hilfiger pose, can't block my verbal flows." - Tachichi

Heineken77

Etobicoke, ON

hind sight and all of that lol

Did you check out IGS? They're looking pretty nice about now. Just want to make sure their package offers 3000/800 for the $49.99 stated on the canadianisp.com website, and if they confirm it, and I'm closer to their CO than I am to AEI's .. I might just go with them. No transfer caps with them and servers are aloud. Just wondering what would make someone choose AEI or IGS so I don't make a mistake and choose the wrong one

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to Heineken77

said by Heineken77:
I'm assuming these services are DSL. Telus offers aDSL at 2500/600 ... even though Telus is slower in transfer speed, would latency be better due to the fact it's aDSL and not just regular DSL? I don't quite understand the difference.
DSL stands for digital subscriber line..aDSl is asymetric DSL, which means the upload is a slower speed than the download speed, sDSL, or symetric DSL means the upload and download speeds are the same, there are also other forms of DSL, but aDSL is the most popular-their really isn't such a thing as regular DSL-there are just several different kinds of DSL technologies.
--
...but i need those baskets back!

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to Heineken77

said by Heineken77:
...and if they confirm it, and I'm closer to their CO than I am to AEI's .. I might just go with them.
the CO is a fixed point where your telephone wires are connected to... therefore your distance to the CO, is always going to be the same regardless of who your ISP is.
--

OLDb34tBoX
Premium

reply to Heineken77

downloadISP1.zip 3,244 bytes
(ISP1.bmp)
No IGS here, these are my only options.
[text was edited by author 2002-06-30 22:27:28]

Heineken77

Etobicoke, ON

Yes it is there

IGS ... Information Gateway Services

Heineken77

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Heineken77

Thank you for the clarification Jeffer....appreciated greatly

OLDb34tBoX
Premium
reply to Heineken77

said by Heineken77:
Yes it is there

IGS ... Information Gateway Services
Oh yeah..lol
Excuse me, I'm a little slow today. =P
They both look very good, I'm gonna start to compare each one right now.
--

OLDb34tBoX
Premium
reply to Heineken77

I think IGS looks better, they offer Static IP's and servers are allowed, so they get a checkmark in my books. w00t!
--

OLDb34tBoX
Premium
reply to Heineken77

Yeah, okay I'm changing my ISP A.S.A.P. they're both available in my area. w00t! w00t!!!
--

OLDb34tBoX
Premium
reply to Heineken77

Hey Heineken, here is an ISP that cares.
»www.ott.igs.net/features.html

Quake3 Server??..GET OUTTA HERE!!! =]
--

Heineken77

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Heineken77

LOL! Don't worry Quad bro, I'm slow most of the time...so for you being slow today...it just doesn't add up to me yet

IGS looks sweet! Like you said w00t!! Servers aloud...Quake server! They're sounding real nice, and to top it off no transfer caps. I'm going to give them a call when their offices are open, going to call AEI as well, and I'm going to switch to one of the two very soon as both of them offer service to my area as well

Will keep you all informed, and would like to here info as you guys find out more, and would be interested in finding out what you finally decide!

Cheers

elva lover

join:2002-05-08

ya know what... igs keeps changing their availability page. 2 days ago, i wasn't eligible for the 3000/800 service. then yesterday, i was. and now, i can't again. their availibilty results page looks different too. 2 days ago, it was a plain page. then yesterday, there was a legend and stuff. now today, it's regular again. what gives?

leafzfan50

join:2002-05-02
reply to Heineken77

Hey guys, don't forget to add the $10/month modem rental fee. You have to add it to your regular monthly fee.

elusion
Premium
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON
reply to Heineken77

Well I am screwed, I can't get those services, guess I'm stuck with rogers.

Heineken77

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Heineken77

Elva Lover - Best thing to do would be to call them to be sure

Leafzfan50 - I realized they added that additional fee. I also just got off of the phone with AEI and they charge a $25 service fee + purchase of a modem. Wonder if I should get an internal or external. External modem is $50-60 more.

Another question to you all:

regarding modems....I was with Telus, and they sent me a D-Link DSL 300I ADSL Ethernet Modem. Would this modem work with any aDSL service, or is it set only to work with the Telus service? Or is a modem a modem? This will save me a great deal of $$ if Telus doesn't somehow code these modems to work only with their service!

Rogerian- Call AEI! Mabye even call IGS. The funny thing is, I called AEI and gave them my number and they said it wasn't available in my area. I went to their website, entered in the number I gave them and surely enough, the website agreed with the service rep. ((he was probably using the same site to find out if my number was compliant or not))

... so out of curiousity, I have 2 lines in my house, I entered my 2nd house phone number and it came back available. I proceeded to call AEI back and gave them my 2nd number, and they said yes sir, we offer service to you! Wonder what that's all about.

I asked him how far I was from the CO and he said there was no way for him to tell ((funny how other services seem to be able to give us this info)) .. and he then went on to say that if after installation I'm not receiving the full signal, they'll give me a full refund.

So this is my situation. AEI is it so far, IGS' sales office is closed today so I'll try giving them a call tomorrow. As long as their pings are as low as rogers...I will make the move. When doing a line test, in the result line ... is that the latency of my line currently?

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

said by Heineken77:
.. is that the latency of my line currently?
that is the latency to their test sites over a few hops, i think...your first few hops are always lower than the average you get in the test.
--

[text was edited by author 2002-07-02 02:03:12]

Heineken77

Etobicoke, ON

So when one talks about which line has lower latency ... say I want to do a side by side comparisson of both connections .. what do I need to do in order to find out the latency. I mean is there a certain way that you find out .. ok ... your line is XY latency and this one has a latency of YZ so take the XY connection as the latency is much better/less?
[text was edited by author 2002-07-02 01:05:28]

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

there is usually too many variables to determine which one will have better latency...if you had good phone lines and good cable lines and compared them equally, i would say the cable would be slightly lower, however, the DSL service would probably be more stable...the difference in the ping times would probably be minimal, but the stability is what could be annoying-ping spikes can cause annoying lag in a game. keep in mind, i am sure many people in here have cable and host games and can have great ping stability and low pings, there are really too many variables in a question like that..your best bet is to just try a DSL service for yourself and see how it works with your lines and system, because either can be different for everyone.
--

Heineken77

Etobicoke, ON

Thanks for the reply once again Jeffer. I see your point, and rearding ping spikes, I have noticed that quite a bit lastnight due to the work they were doing on the network, and the high pings I have been seeing from teleglobe.

To top that off, I guess the more users on my node, the more unreliable my connection. DSL seems to be the more stable of the two as you also stated, and with the minimal difference in ping times, mabye DSL is the way to go.

Regarding DSL...do you have any idea as to my previous question regarding the modem compatibility as stated above a couple replies up by me?

Cheers
Heineken

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

about your modem question...hmmmm, from what i have been reading they should all be pretty much the same...the best bang for the buck currently seems to be AEI DSL service..$49.95/month for a 3500/640 service with a bandwidth cap of 20/20..they do require you to provide your own modem, which you already have, so it seems pretty good..come on over the Sympatico forums and read some various threads on these matters...sympatico's ultra service seems to be getting excellent performance, but the bandwidth cap is half (10/10) and the price is $20 per month higher than AEI, although they do include a modem in that price, in case your is not compatible...there are several people that know a fair amount in the sympatico forums, that could certainly help you with that-or you can always call ISP's to see if your modem is compatible.
--

Heineken77

Etobicoke, ON

thanks for the info jeffer.

AEI said that the modem I have from Telus is programmed to work only with their service. I didn't purchase the modem Just borrowing it lol

I'll check around in the Sympatico forum like you said. Thanks for the help. Just that I don't want to have to pay $200 for a modem to get with AEI..find out that I don't want to stay with them...and then what....sure I have a DSL modem, but what if it's not compatible with the next DSL ISP I sign up for .. and what if I decide to go back to cable. LOL .. see...I really don't want to be out $200.

The guy at AEI said if I knew how to program the modem or if it was possible to do so, then I could use it with their service, as other people are using this modem with them. However they didn't get theirs from Telus.
[text was edited by author 2002-07-02 23:27:58]