how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

leafzfan50

join:2002-05-02
reply to Heineken77

Re: Great Link! - Find Canadian ISPs!!

Hey guys, don't forget to add the $10/month modem rental fee. You have to add it to your regular monthly fee.

elusion
Premium
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON
reply to Heineken77

Well I am screwed, I can't get those services, guess I'm stuck with rogers.

Heineken77

join:2001-12-26
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Heineken77

Elva Lover - Best thing to do would be to call them to be sure

Leafzfan50 - I realized they added that additional fee. I also just got off of the phone with AEI and they charge a $25 service fee + purchase of a modem. Wonder if I should get an internal or external. External modem is $50-60 more.

Another question to you all:

regarding modems....I was with Telus, and they sent me a D-Link DSL 300I ADSL Ethernet Modem. Would this modem work with any aDSL service, or is it set only to work with the Telus service? Or is a modem a modem? This will save me a great deal of $$ if Telus doesn't somehow code these modems to work only with their service!

Rogerian- Call AEI! Mabye even call IGS. The funny thing is, I called AEI and gave them my number and they said it wasn't available in my area. I went to their website, entered in the number I gave them and surely enough, the website agreed with the service rep. ((he was probably using the same site to find out if my number was compliant or not))

... so out of curiousity, I have 2 lines in my house, I entered my 2nd house phone number and it came back available. I proceeded to call AEI back and gave them my 2nd number, and they said yes sir, we offer service to you! Wonder what that's all about.

I asked him how far I was from the CO and he said there was no way for him to tell ((funny how other services seem to be able to give us this info)) .. and he then went on to say that if after installation I'm not receiving the full signal, they'll give me a full refund.

So this is my situation. AEI is it so far, IGS' sales office is closed today so I'll try giving them a call tomorrow. As long as their pings are as low as rogers...I will make the move. When doing a line test, in the result line ... is that the latency of my line currently?

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

said by Heineken77:
.. is that the latency of my line currently?
that is the latency to their test sites over a few hops, i think...your first few hops are always lower than the average you get in the test.
--
...but i need those baskets back!

[text was edited by author 2002-07-02 02:03:12]

Heineken77

Etobicoke, ON

So when one talks about which line has lower latency ... say I want to do a side by side comparisson of both connections .. what do I need to do in order to find out the latency. I mean is there a certain way that you find out .. ok ... your line is XY latency and this one has a latency of YZ so take the XY connection as the latency is much better/less?
[text was edited by author 2002-07-02 01:05:28]

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

there is usually too many variables to determine which one will have better latency...if you had good phone lines and good cable lines and compared them equally, i would say the cable would be slightly lower, however, the DSL service would probably be more stable...the difference in the ping times would probably be minimal, but the stability is what could be annoying-ping spikes can cause annoying lag in a game. keep in mind, i am sure many people in here have cable and host games and can have great ping stability and low pings, there are really too many variables in a question like that..your best bet is to just try a DSL service for yourself and see how it works with your lines and system, because either can be different for everyone.
--

Heineken77

Etobicoke, ON

Thanks for the reply once again Jeffer. I see your point, and rearding ping spikes, I have noticed that quite a bit lastnight due to the work they were doing on the network, and the high pings I have been seeing from teleglobe.

To top that off, I guess the more users on my node, the more unreliable my connection. DSL seems to be the more stable of the two as you also stated, and with the minimal difference in ping times, mabye DSL is the way to go.

Regarding DSL...do you have any idea as to my previous question regarding the modem compatibility as stated above a couple replies up by me?

Cheers
Heineken

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

about your modem question...hmmmm, from what i have been reading they should all be pretty much the same...the best bang for the buck currently seems to be AEI DSL service..$49.95/month for a 3500/640 service with a bandwidth cap of 20/20..they do require you to provide your own modem, which you already have, so it seems pretty good..come on over the Sympatico forums and read some various threads on these matters...sympatico's ultra service seems to be getting excellent performance, but the bandwidth cap is half (10/10) and the price is $20 per month higher than AEI, although they do include a modem in that price, in case your is not compatible...there are several people that know a fair amount in the sympatico forums, that could certainly help you with that-or you can always call ISP's to see if your modem is compatible.
--

Heineken77

Etobicoke, ON

thanks for the info jeffer.

AEI said that the modem I have from Telus is programmed to work only with their service. I didn't purchase the modem Just borrowing it lol

I'll check around in the Sympatico forum like you said. Thanks for the help. Just that I don't want to have to pay $200 for a modem to get with AEI..find out that I don't want to stay with them...and then what....sure I have a DSL modem, but what if it's not compatible with the next DSL ISP I sign up for .. and what if I decide to go back to cable. LOL .. see...I really don't want to be out $200.

The guy at AEI said if I knew how to program the modem or if it was possible to do so, then I could use it with their service, as other people are using this modem with them. However they didn't get theirs from Telus.
[text was edited by author 2002-07-02 23:27:58]