spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Heineken77
join:2001-12-26
Etobicoke, ON

Heineken77

Cable vs DSL - Latency Question?

I'm wondering what will be the absolute best to play online with Microsoft's Xbox Live ((multiplayer gaming)) ... Cable or DSL?

From some of the various Line Quality Tests I've performed I normally note a 69-70 latency reading in the result line.
I realize that 99% of lag free gaming is dependant on your connection's latency. That said, what type of broadband connection do users generally experience
the least amount of latency with the lower pings, DSL or Cable?

I understand that this could all be company dependant, and
regardless of whether the connection is cable or aDSL, either/or could have less latency? I'm not highly educated in this area.

Also I'm wondering if say a person on cable playing someone on cable .. and dsl playing someone on dsl is the best thing to do. I mean, do the 2 mix well, or again does it come down to latency, regardless of what medium of connection to the internet?

Thanks for your time
Heineken

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON

mau108

Premium Member

Rogers has great uploads(360 k bits MAX), but if ure area is not docsis, ure gonna have some high latency.

With Bell (DSL) and interleave off, you get low pings of 10ms to 20 ms. But upload speed is limited to 140 k BITS.

green1074
Premium Member
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON

green1074 to Heineken77

Premium Member

to Heineken77
He might not get that upload mau, remember the caps. You should call rogers and ask them if you get hi-speed, if your area would be docsis compliant, if it is, that's the best way to go, get a docsis modem. Lower pings.

OLDb34tBoX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-07

OLDb34tBoX to Heineken77

Premium Member

to Heineken77
Heineken77, I can host an 7-8 person game with 3000/384 cable using Gamespy's Tunnel service, and a 10 person game with xbconnect.

It will really depend on where the people are plying from, but I've had people in Cali ping me at 75, but the lowest my connection will ping at is 48ms.

Average during an 8 person game with xbconnect is about 75-100 using Rogers 3000/384 service.

You know you can play Online with the X-Box since last December. =P

Exit

join:2001-04-10
Canada

Exit to mau108

to mau108
said by mau108:
Rogers has great uploads(360 k bits MAX), but if ure area is not docsis, ure gonna have some high latency.

With Bell (DSL) and interleave off, you get low pings of 10ms to 20 ms. But upload speed is limited to 140 k BITS.

How can you get interleaving off. As far as I knew they had it on for everyone and thats just the way it was. Right or not?

Steve
Heineken77
Etobicoke, ON

Heineken77 to green1074

to green1074
Hello DJ and Rogerian, thank you for your replies. Unfortunately they capped my upload to 192kb/s (Rogers.com) ... Even still, that upload should be sufficient for what I want to do. Still just contemplating moving over to DSL if the pings will be atleast as good or better than cable. This is also due in part to the fact that Rogers will be implimenting transfer caps, and I do not want to stay with them if there's a possiblility of finding DSL at an equal or better level of latency
Heineken77

Heineken77 to OLDb34tBoX

to OLDb34tBoX
Hey Quad Good to see another fellow XBOX fan Like you, I've been using Gamespy and playing Halo online since December as well With cable 2000/385 which I used to get, I could host 4 boxes as well, however now I'm capped to 1250/180, so this is no longer possible. To top that off, even when I play with 1 box and 1 person, my friend lives in NY using Optimum Online Cable, he always tells me that he experiences lag.

So now I'm considering moving to DSL

Heineken

OLDb34tBoX
Premium Member

OLDb34tBoX to Heineken77

Premium Member

to Heineken77
You should try XBCONNECT it should bring your pings down a good 20ms per player. Why not get your friend to host a 6+ person game? =]
OLDb34tBoX

OLDb34tBoX to Heineken77

Premium Member

to Heineken77
I'm guessing you also received one for X-Mas?
Heineken77
Etobicoke, ON

Heineken77

Hey Quad I've tried xbconnect, and I also normally let my friends host. I just still would like to get out of Rogers because of all the crap they're pulling on us by capping our speeds and transfer rates. My main concern is that I don't want to go to DSL if that will make my playing experience poorer

BTW....what's your screen name on XBConnect and Gamespy? We should play sometime!
Heineken77

Heineken77 to Exit

to Exit
I too would be interested about interleaving answers to crunch's question...as well as what interleaving means LOL!

OLDb34tBoX
Premium Member

OLDb34tBoX to Heineken77

Premium Member

to Heineken77
Just look for, "House of Frozen Corpses"
That's my server name, I don't play too often, but when I do it's usually for the whole night. =P
Heineken77
Etobicoke, ON

Heineken77

LOL OK cool will do. I hear that, the game is addictive! Turn it on, and you're in for a nice reduction of hours slept!

OLDb34tBoX
Premium Member

OLDb34tBoX to Heineken77

Premium Member

to Heineken77
Yeah, I don't know what it is either, but time passes by twice as fast in Halo than any other FPS I have ever played.
"Time flies when you're having fun"
Heineken77
Etobicoke, ON

Heineken77

That's for sure! I started playing lastnight at 5pm ... didn't go to sleep until 6am.....12 hours of Halo can't be healthy! lol

green1074
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

green1074 to Heineken77

Premium Member

to Heineken77
Interleave means that every ATM packets sent between the modem and the DSLAM's port is error checked. if an error is found by the modem when receiving an ATM packets from the DSLAM's port it will re-ask the same packet again which will probably be ok. After that the modem will unpack the ATM packets to re-built the ETHERNET packet which will be sent to your ethernet card(NIC). Almost the same thing happen when your modem sends ATM packets to the DSLAM's port. The port checks every ATM packet for errors and when a packet is damaged the DSLAM's port will re-ask it to the modem before relaying it to the gateway.
On a fast channel those verifications are simply dropped which means a shorter proccessing(ping)time.

BUT

A bad ATM packet will not be replaced and the resulting ETHERNET packet will be, of course, erroneous and the whole ETHERNET packet will have to be re-sent by a much far away point than just the DSLAM's port. this can cause slower speed and even complete loss of service when error happen regularly on your ADSL line.

Heineken77, have you tried to get docsis?? Your pings would be MUCH MUCH MUCH better.

skillton
join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON

skillton to Heineken77

to Heineken77
pings will be lower by about 15ms
Heineken77
Etobicoke, ON

Heineken77 to green1074

to green1074
Hi Rogerian,

I actually have a Terayon TCM200 .. so I am not 100% sure whether or not it is docsis or not. What should I do, call rogers and ask them if my area is docsis compliant? It so then what, ask for a modem? Don't want to sound stupid, hoping to sound like I have some idea what I'm talking about when I call them lol

I live in Etobicoke.

skillton
join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON

skillton to Heineken77

to Heineken77
ur area is docsis compliant... etob was one of the 1st docsis compliant areas... ur modem aint docsis...

green1074
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

green1074 to Heineken77

Premium Member

to Heineken77
You cant just call and ask for a docsis modem, something has to go "wrong" with your connection or your present modem. As skillton said, your current modem isn't docsis, so call them and have something go terribly wrong with your connection/modem.
Heineken77
Etobicoke, ON

Heineken77

Thanks for that info Tupac.

Thanks for the advice Rogerian lol...I'm going to have to come up with an innovative idea to make that work hmmmmm