share rss forum feed

jbcalg
Premium
join:2001-10-08
Calgary, AB
reply to shaner

Re: Rogers' highest tier to be 3000/384

said by shaner:
As far as the speed issue goes, Rogers will maintain that their network integrity needs customers to be throttled...
LOL you mean the customer's speed to be throttled, or the customer's themselves?
--
Team Discovery vs Cancer - - - Team Ecology helping Mother Earth

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

said by jbcalg:
said by shaner:
As far as the speed issue goes, Rogers will maintain that their network integrity needs customers to be throttled...
LOL you mean the customer's speed to be throttled, or the customer's themselves?

Hahaha! I can just hear ol' Ted right now. "This business would run so damn smooth if it weren't for all these whiny customers! Throttle them all!"
--
I got my Sympatico HSE in a London box. Where did yours come from?

Dark_Cobra

join:2002-04-12
North York, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·FreePhoneLine
reply to HiVolt

Not happenin

accordin to a tech dude 2day, there will be a faster service, but it aint no 3000/384... they have no clue on the price, the caps, or when its commin out...

allz i know, i aint paying more for service i already had...
--
AMD T-BIRD 1.2GHz -OCed to 1.344Ghz - 256Meg - 4x 32 AGP - 39.5Gig - CABLE (*Crap*) - XP PRO - 2000 PRO -I AM IMMORTAL, I HAVE INSIDE ME BLOOD OF KINGS, YEAH, I HAVE NO RIVAL, NO MAN CAN BE MY EQUAL

The Fist

join:2002-07-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to shaner

Re: Rogers' highest tier to be 3000/384

Well Mad Tv Fanatic has been priceless in getting me into the loop of what the hell has happened with Rogers and my connection. Thanks for your comments, they are right on and answered alot of questions for this newbie. Im pissed off and totally dumbfounded at this. Who ever heard of price increase w/ quality decrease and expect customer patronage? Screw this. But what do I do now? I want speed, and am willing to pay a fair price for it. Anyone know of any companies that still offer this seemingly outdated service?

p.s they called you an abuser for using the internet alot? Talk about going back on promises. That is total shit. Heres an idea Rogers: invest some of the money we pay you into keeping your current customers by instituting the means to provide for your future costumers. How u ask? Well the saying goes "the answer to 99 out of 100 questions asked is 'money'" you have it. Use it! Or im gone.

toronto20012
Premium
join:2001-08-10
Markham, ON
reply to HiVolt

I've also asked about their new speeds and the tech guy said he didn't know. I hate their service now cause my modem goes offline every 2-3 days. It pisses me off when you are trying to download some files and your service get disconnected. But when you resume the file after, the files curroupts and that sucks sh*t! Anyways, Rogers should change their service so it's fair to us!
--
The faster, the better!

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to The Fist

said by The Fist:
Heres an idea Rogers: invest some of the money we pay you into keeping your current customers by instituting the means to provide for your future costumers. How u ask? Well the saying goes "the answer to 99 out of 100 questions asked is 'money'" you have it. Use it! Or im gone.
there isn't a lot of money left after the Blue Jays lost US$52 million last year-at least they finished number one in baseball at something
--
...but i need those baskets back!

illusionis

join:2002-07-03
Canada
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Hahaha.... Screw Rogers, I don't give a hoot what they pay. I switched to broadband for a reason in 1998. Not about to switch back cuz of some lame provider's insane restrictions, after 4 years of having unrestricted access.

You don't care, and expect them to? To them, you're not a customer, you're a liability... you cost them more than you pay. It's only out of their kindness that they still keep you on. So stop whining.

illusionis

Canada
reply to The Fist

said by The Fist:
Well Mad Tv Fanatic has been priceless in getting me into the loop of what the hell has happened with Rogers and my connection. Thanks for your comments, they are right on and answered alot of questions for this newbie. Im pissed off and totally dumbfounded at this. Who ever heard of price increase w/ quality decrease and expect customer patronage? Screw this. But what do I do now? I want speed, and am willing to pay a fair price for it. Anyone know of any companies that still offer this seemingly outdated service?

p.s they called you an abuser for using the internet alot? Talk about going back on promises. That is total shit. Heres an idea Rogers: invest some of the money we pay you into keeping your current customers by instituting the means to provide for your future costumers. How u ask? Well the saying goes "the answer to 99 out of 100 questions asked is 'money'" you have it. Use it! Or im gone.
Then go... you're an ignorant person anyways... Rogers spends more than the money they get back, due to bandwidth and other costs.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

1 recommendation

reply to illusionis

said by illusionis:

You don't care, and expect them to? To them, you're not a customer, you're a liability... you cost them more than you pay. It's only out of their kindness that they still keep you on. So stop whining.
Excuse me? If their service was perfect, and they wouldn't do these behind the scenes speed reductions, maybe I would have a better opinion of Rogers. Read this if you want to know my story behind my "whining".

»www.ihaterogers.ca/rants4.htm

The one on the top is mine. Those are just SOME horror stories I've had with Rogers.
--
Crunch for Team Discovery!
Also visit www.ihaterogers.ca

Uriel3

join:2001-11-26
reply to illusionis

said by illusionis:
...Then go... you're an ignorant person anyways... Rogers spends more than the money they get back, due to bandwidth and other costs.
Calling Roger's subscribers ignorant automatically disqualifies you as a fire fighter. If Roger's is spending more than they are getting back it's not solely due to what they are now paying for bandwidth but rather because of incompetence, bad administration, lack of foresight, false advertising, mismanagement, wastage, padding the pockets of the ones at the top and to pay for the type of propaganda that you are spitting out here.

Clipper

join:2002-05-23
Stoney Creek, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:
The CRTC should do something about its, and should force Rogers to let other ISP's use their cable to provide cabletv and internet services
They already have that in place. if a 3rd party resellers wants to use their lines, rogers has to let them. Cogeco has 3 or 4 resellers of their service in muskoka regions. Im sure if a small company want to resell rogers service, then rogers has no choice but to let them. The problem is that its not very profitable for smaller cable ISP to do this.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Uriel3

said by Uriel:
said by illusionis:
...Then go... you're an ignorant person anyways... Rogers spends more than the money they get back, due to bandwidth and other costs.
Calling Roger's subscribers ignorant automatically disqualifies you as a fire fighter. If Roger's is spending more than they are getting back it's not solely due to what they are now paying for bandwidth but rather because of incompetence, bad administration, lack of foresight, false advertising, mismanagement, wastage, padding the pockets of the ones at the top and to pay for the type of propaganda that you are spitting out here.
Amen brother.
--

illusionis

Canada
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:
Excuse me? If their service was perfect, and they wouldn't do these behind the scenes speed reductions, maybe I would have a better opinion of Rogers. Read this if you want to know my story behind my "whining".

»www.ihaterogers.ca/rants4.htm

The one on the top is mine. Those are just SOME horror stories I've had with Rogers.

Their service is way better than dial-up, on a price/speed and price/monthly transfer ratio, is it not?

illusionis

Canada
reply to Uriel3

said by Uriel:

Or maybe it's because of the 120gb downloads and 30gb uploads a month of customers that they pay this much? Some people download every new game that hits the market, every DVD rip, every SVCD, and runs 24/7 servers to share it. And considering at least 15gb is released daily of pirated software and movies alone... do the math.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to illusionis

said by illusionis:
Their service is way better than dial-up, on a price/speed and price/monthly transfer ratio, is it not?
Indeed it is, that's why I switched to Cable 4 years ago. My beef is just that I've seen the service quality degrade so much, speed reduced, sneaky tactics to raise prices, unprofessional tech support, I'm just a little bit fed up with Rogers.
--

illusionis

Canada

said by HiVolt:

Indeed it is, that's why I switched to Cable 4 years ago. My beef is just that I've seen the service quality degrade so much, speed reduced, sneaky tactics to raise prices, unprofessional tech support, I'm just a little bit fed up with Rogers.

However, since it is still the best service out there, there really isn't any reasont to complain. I've seen ISP's sucker newer users to pay $35 a month for dial-up... why don't you complain about that instead?

Uriel3

reply to illusionis

said by illusionis:
... do the math.
Doing the math should not be one sided or should I say short-sighted, I personally transfer between 40 to 70 maximum total dn/up MBs per day, a 5GB monthly download cap is 160MB per day and I believe that a 10GB down and 5GB upload bit-cap would be more reasonable and advertising it would drown Sympatico and the 36,000 cancelled subscribers within the last 36 days would flee to Roger's and not to other DSL/ADSL providers. I can see a cap being enforced in uploads but find it hard for Roger's to justify such a small 5GB dn cap if the plan is to match Sympatico. I would suggest you also do the math providing you can get your hands on the actual figures being expended vis-a-vis bandwidth costs ratio to other operating/capital costs and you will come to the conclusion that the primary problem does not rest with excessive download transfers but rather with excessive overhead operational and less than adequate long range planning. I can not sympathize with customers paying for home service while uploading as a business server. To penalize subscribers to the level very close to the customer base is going to financially hurt Roger's in the long run.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to illusionis

said by illusionis:

However, since it is still the best service out there, there really isn't any reasont to complain. I've seen ISP's sucker newer users to pay $35 a month for dial-up... why don't you complain about that instead?
Why would I complain about that? I'd laugh at the idiots that get suckered into "deals" like that. Pick a better comeback buddy.
--

illusionis

Canada
reply to Uriel3

said by Uriel:

Doing the math should not be one sided or should I say short-sighted, I personally transfer between 40 to 70 maximum total dn/up MBs per day, a 5GB monthly download cap is 160MB per day and I believe that a 10GB down and 5GB upload bit-cap would be more reasonable and advertising it would drown Sympatico and the 36,000 cancelled subscribers within the last 36 days would flee to Roger's and not to other DSL/ADSL providers. I can see a cap being enforced in uploads but find it hard for Roger's to justify such a small 5GB dn cap if the plan is to match Sympatico. I would suggest you also do the math providing you can get your hands on the actual figures being expended vis-a-vis bandwidth costs ratio to other operating/capital costs and you will come to the conclusion that the primary problem does not rest with excessive download transfers but rather with excessive overhead operational and less than adequate long range planning. I can not sympathize with customers paying for home service while uploading as a business server. To penalize subscribers to the level very close to the customer base is going to financially hurt Roger's in the long run.
I agree that 5gb is too low... 15gb down, 5gb up seems more reasonable. However, some customers are doing 120gb down and 30gb up a month... not really fair, now is it? Rogers is offering a new deal, people who don't like it has no commitment to stay. However, much as they whine, they still cling to Rogers... because they're still one of the best.

illusionis

Canada

reply to HiVolt

www.aaainet.com

$20US a month, or $35 canadian... almost as much as Rogers Cable, but for 56K... and there's a LOT of companies who do that and are flourishing, preying off new users. If you really want fairness, complain about that, instead of an AMAZING company that just went down to EXCELLENT because of caps.
[text was edited by author 2002-07-13 23:00:28]

VindictiV
Pebkac Error
Premium
join:2001-11-27
Burlington, ON

1 recommendation

reply to HiVolt

I wouldnt go so far as to say amazing to excellent.

Lowering the caps and charging more without any notification to the customer is just bad. Bad in practice, and bad in the implementation.

To compare Rogers to other ISP's that are worse does not absolve Rogers of fault. Your argument basically says they are the best because they suck the least out of this group of selected ISP's. Not a very strong argument really. It still means they suck.. just that they dont suck as much.
So, the bottom line is you are telling everyone to accept that they suck, and accept that the service level and business tactics used are great because someone else does it worse?

Two turds side by side, one is runny and the other is firm.. the amazing wonder turd is the firm one!
Nice.

I understand bandwidth usage caps. I think they should be in place. The lowering of the modem cap I think is BS, especially with a price increase; and further to that without any notification hoping noone would notice.
There is 'what is legal' and 'what is ethical', and I think the ethical path has been tredded on here.

That all said Ive defended Rogers in the past and will continue to do so where warranted. My service has been really good since Ive had it.
However, I dont think lowering the modem cap AND implementing a usage cap are both necessary. Some genius thinks 500k is ok to take off now.. then next year it'll be another 256k.. then another 256k.. hell no one will notice.

I work for a cable ISP, but the opinions I have here are as a Rogers customer. Usage caps ok.. it'll curb the users that are congesting the network. To limit the modem cap is bad business in my thinking. The battle between short term thinking and long term business strategy got muffed here.
Short term thinkers like how the numbers look and the money they saved by cutting the caps. The long term thinkers would know this impacts the company image and has more far reaching consequences on their customer base.
It is so much easier to keep a customer than to get a new one.. something many companys seem to forget.
--
There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people. - Dogbert

Uriel3

said by VindictiV:
....Some genius thinks 500k is ok to take off now.. then next year it'll be another 256k.. then another 256k.. hell no one will notice.... Usage caps ok.. it'll curb the users that are congesting the network...The battle between short term thinking and long term business strategy got muffed here. Short term thinkers like how the numbers look and the money they saved by cutting the caps. The long term thinkers would know this impacts the company image and has more far reaching consequences on their customer base.
It is so much easier to keep a customer than to get a new one.. something many companys seem to forget.
I couldn't agree more. Too many companies take their regular customers for granted because of complacency and Roger's is no exception. Whenever these companies i.e. Bell Sympatico, Roger's advertises a promo such as free hook-ups with 6 months at half price they never consider throwing even a small crumb to their long term loyal customers who in the final analyses are responsible for their base planning without which all their planning strategies would fly out the window. No wonder the mounting animosity and lack of appreciation coupled with lack of vision are taking its toll.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House

said by Uriel:

I couldn't agree more. Too many companies take their regular customers for granted because of complacency and Roger's is no exception. Whenever these companies i.e. Bell Sympatico, Roger's advertises a promo such as free hook-ups with 6 months at half price they never consider throwing even a small crumb to their long term loyal customers who in the final analyses are responsible for their base planning without which all their planning strategies would fly out the window. No wonder the mounting animosity and lack of appreciation coupled with lack of vision are taking its toll.
Unfortunatly, part of this problem lies on the consumer themselfs. Canadians as a whole don't really stand up for themselfs, take an issue ask a bunch of people on the street and the answer your more then likely to get is "they know what's best" or "as long as it doesn't affect me".

It's rather sad to be true all in all, and most business knows this and will do whatever they can to rake it as much money with as little expendature as possible.

We who write in these forums are a small minority, as such a small minority unless we can cause the rest out there to wake up will get stuck with the same poor conditions as the rest of the people. Or continue to get the shaft because business knows it can get away with it.

Some of you will probbly think I'm anti-canadian or something, but think and ask youselfs...what I said, is it not true?

Constructive flames are welcome.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Mashiki:
Unfortunatly, part of this problem lies on the consumer themselfs. Canadians as a whole don't really stand up for themselfs, take an issue ask a bunch of people on the street and the answer your more then likely to get is "they know what's best" or "as long as it doesn't affect me".

It's rather sad to be true all in all, and most business knows this and will do whatever they can to rake it as much money with as little expendature as possible.

We who write in these forums are a small minority, as such a small minority unless we can cause the rest out there to wake up will get stuck with the same poor conditions as the rest of the people. Or continue to get the shaft because business knows it can get away with it.

Some of you will probbly think I'm anti-canadian or something, but think and ask youselfs...what I said, is it not true?

Constructive flames are welcome.
I agree with you, this country is far too diverse culturally for people to stick together to stand up to these companies. Look what happens in Europe when things don't go right. People park their freakin tractors on highways and that's all, no traffic allowed. This happened in England at the height of the gas price crisis. Or when the entire country (or most of it) refused to buy gas in one day, i forget which country that was. Government quickly calculated its losses in only that ONE day, and the prices were dropped. Here, nobody cares to stand up for their rights.
--

VindictiV
Pebkac Error
Premium
join:2001-11-27
Burlington, ON
reply to HiVolt

Well the good part is I am in a position to voice my opinions and have them constructively listened to where I work, which benefits our customers. It doesnt help myself as a user though because I am not in my own service area.

I will say this though; company's dont do this sort of thing on a whim. Someone or some group of people has drawn attention to themselves and the best way to protect themselves is to prevent instead of enforce. Its easier and more cost effective to do that.
We blocked port 25 on resi cable modems for the same reason; too many people getting our mail servers blacklisted because they were running open relays. I cant keep having our mail servers blacklisted, so we blocked the inbound port on the modem. Problem solved.

In this case I think some people have been using extraordinary amounts of bandwidth, constantly. The ISP would rather put them on a leash instead of punishing them after they do something wrong.

So, business wise I understand it the motivations; but I dont totally agree messing with the bandwidth caps (not usage caps) was the way to go. To each their own I guess.
--
There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people. - Dogbert

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to Mashiki

said by Mashiki:

You're right, but I think the vast majority of Canadians just don't give a rat's ass about this kind of stuff. It's the kind of stuff "hackers" would only care about, not me. I just don't think people care about caps one way or another.
--
I got my Sympatico HSE in a London box. Where did yours come from?

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House

said by shaner:
You're right, but I think the vast majority of Canadians just don't give a rat's ass about this kind of stuff. It's the kind of stuff "hackers" would only care about, not me. I just don't think people care about caps one way or another.

That's a very good point, too bad people would be shocked what "hacker" really means. I mean some of the best software engineers are hackers, even o'l Bill G. is still considered one of the best hackers in the world.

The limited sucess in changing how the news world uses hacker, script kiddie, cracker, ect has not spread beyond the use of my local newspaper and the local news channel.

illusionis

Canada

Bah, why make a difference? There's only two categories, the elite, and the non-elite.

hotzet

join:2002-07-28
Ottawa, ON
reply to shaner

Remember: if you have one of Rogers techs come to your house for an install/whatever, MAKE SURE you INSIST that you ALWAYS keep ALL power, Ethernet and coax cables. Maybe their service people are trained in deadly arts... God knows most aren't trained for broadband issues or customer support!

algeranon

@mindspring.com
reply to HiVolt

Are you ready for the hole-buster ?

Is there a cost to downgrade my Hi-Speed service to the Hi-Speed Lite service ?

Description
Cost of downgrading to Rogers Hi-Speed Lite.

Answer
Yes, there is a $50 downgrade fee for Rogers Hi-Speed Internet customers downgrading to Rogers Hi-Speed Lite.

well, you do want to be able to access that new connection don't you... of course you do... that will require an additional fee!