dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

someone2313

Anon

Opening all Ports?

how do i open all ports? Like just the regular cable connection I have. I don't want any firewalls and I want to OPEN all the ports

joe0307
Z3
join:2001-06-25
The Villages, FL

joe0307

Put it in DMZ

linksys tek
join:2002-06-27
La Puente, CA

linksys tek to someone2313

to someone2313
then what was the purpose of the router?

joe0307
Z3
The Villages, FL

joe0307 to someone2313

to someone2313
Normally you dont want to leave your router in DMZ.
If you need certain ports open, use port forwarding.
The main purpose of a router for me was to share a broadband connection.

Bisucas
join:2001-10-15
France

Bisucas

Disable Block Wan requests

Hofbrau
@dsl.snfc21.pacbell.n

Hofbrau to linksys tek

Anon

to linksys tek
"then what was the purpose of the router?"

Its a gateway, not a router, unless you arent using the WAN port and the NAT.

Regardless, obviously, the primary point of and reason for using a Linksys (or any other vendors) NAT gateway device, is to SHARE an internet connection. Tough concept to understand, indeed.

The firewall and other security functionality of the NAT process, is entirely ancillary to the main purpose of these devices, which is simply to provide the means to share a single internet connection amongst multiple PCs/devices.

To suggest that the desire to use DMZ with such gateways somehow "defeats the purpose" of such gateways, is ignorant, at best.

If indeed you are actually employeed by Linksys, they certainly arent benefiting from that contract...

Co gi ta te,
H of br au
Shotayute
join:2002-05-17
Hollywood, FL

Shotayute to someone2313

to someone2313
I think the linksys tek was asking what is the purpose of he router if you want to open up all the port and not use the firewall ability of it

someone2313 to linksys tek

Anon

to linksys tek
the purpose of having the router is so I could share my cable connection with my other computers. I want to open a lot of ports for my computers to used, it seems like all the ports are using up. Why not just open all the ports?

"Put it in DMZ"
How do I put it in DMZ?

"Disable Block Wan requests"
What does that do?

I really don't need the firewall, I just don't like it.
someone2313

someone2313

Anon

What is DMZ?
Shotayute
join:2002-05-17
Hollywood, FL

Shotayute to someone2313

to someone2313
what is it that you want to do exactly on your computer, because im not sure if you understand what ports are....puting your computer in the DMZ zone open up all your port and put your computer wide open on the internet for hackers to do basically anything they want with your computer...is that what you want?

Im sure you have a reason as to why you may want to open up all ports, but whatever your reason is, im sure they is an alternative to what you want...

joe0307
Z3
The Villages, FL

joe0307 to someone2313

to someone2313
DeMilitarize Zone. Goto advanced tab of the routers setup page, and select the DMZ tab. Then just enter the IP of the computer you want to be open to the outside world.

Bisucas
join:2001-10-15
France

Bisucas

Disable Block Wan requests basically opens up all ports so all computers "get into" DMZ, not just one

Lord Anubis
Can'T Fight The Inevitable
join:2002-06-19
Here & There

Lord Anubis

said by Bisucas:
Disable Block Wan requests basically opens up all ports so all computers "get into" DMZ, not just one

actually, the block wan request option of the router doesn't do this. when enabled, it just lets the router hide the wan ip so that people outside will not be able to ping the wan ip of the network. when disabled, it lets the outside world ping it subsequently. dmz is another capability of the router and is way off from BWR