spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Compman21
join:2001-08-09
Lockport, IL

Compman21

How do i open a Linksys Router

I have a old 1 port router laying around that only the switch works, im thinking about building my own router using linux,ect. but i cant get the stupid cover off the router to get to the board. (and for you warrenty freaks out there, this router is way past warrenty) So if u know how or have links please let me know as im about to cut er open lol.

PapaDos
Cum Grano Salis
MVM
join:2001-02-08
Drummondville, QC

PapaDos

MVM

????????

You have a one port switch ?????
You want to "build" your own router using Linux and for that you need to destroy the Linksys router ?????

I am completely lost ...

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

1 recommendation

Bill_MI to Compman21

MVM

to Compman21
Well I like to help those that like to open things. ...

Is this a BEFSR11? On the sides there's a vertical seam that should be 2 different colors (Blue/Black?). The trick it to pry apart at this seam to pop the front off - it's a slick design.
Compman21
Lockport, IL

Compman21

Yeah i got my 1 port open but then decieded hell with it and popped open my 4port router to discover my problem with it (A Compacitor had been blow up)... I wondered what was ratteling around in there..heh..So im going to try and get a compacider and stick redo the whole thing, maybe add more rom to it heh hell while im at it i should try somehow getting my pent 300 chip on this board somehow to make the router faster :P

pH1
Rawr
join:2001-12-31
Canada

pH1 to Compman21

to Compman21
post some pics once you open it please

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

1 recommendation

Bill_MI to Compman21

MVM

to Compman21
Aw... sounds like you left the active material out of that "compacitator". Don't tell anyone but us engineers only package smoke in them things. The unit works fine until you let the smoke out of those packages then it's broken.

Pictures? If you've seen one Samsung processor with an ARM7 core and a bunch of peripherals you've seen 'em all.

Zorack
join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV

Zorack to Compman21

to Compman21
w00t if you do that and it works(the 300mhz processor and add becoups of ram,)ya I wanna know too,I bet that would be sweet!

JrC384k
join:2000-09-24
Chicago, IL

JrC384k to Bill_MI

to Bill_MI
Will this break it? I have a hub that I don't use and is still functional. I wanna take it apart but I don't wanna break it.
Compman21
Lockport, IL

Compman21

ahaha look what i started..and yes i will post pics
Compman21

1 recommendation

Compman21

Pics
Compman21

1 recommendation

Compman21

more Pics

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

1 recommendation

No_Strings

I know it's bad form, but for the love of Michael Faraday, can you please learn to spell capacitor?
JGMACK
join:2002-04-20
Hollywood, FL

JGMACK to Compman21

to Compman21
A lak off compacity to spel bi the deezyner of the knu souper roota.

JrC384k
Chicago, IL

JrC384k to Compman21

to Compman21

I Love all of you!!!! Especially Bill_MI

Thanks for telling me how to take this thing apart. It had a "broken" 3rd port ever since I got it. I never wanted to RMA it since I had a LAN to provide to. Well I took the thing apart and I fixed the problem. Looks like quality control isn't at its best. Two "wires" from the broken jack were bent so they touched each other inside right above the point where they meet the PCB. A simple tootpick separated the two wires and now the port is fixed....

To show my thanks here are step by step photos of the procedure.
JrC384k

JrC384k to Compman21

to Compman21

Re: How do i open a Linksys Router

More....
JrC384k

JrC384k to Compman21

to Compman21
Even more...

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to Bill_MI

MVM

to Bill_MI
Gosh whoever would have guessed that Bill would know how to remove the cover!?!? I'm betting covers don't last long at your place Bill before you have taken things apart and rebuilt them.

Bill you remind me of a research dude I once knew who covers rarely made it past his living room when he brought stuff into his house (no lie he had empty covers, boxes etc all over his living room, needless to say he was single as his living room was little more then a preliminary disassembly area). Nothing electronic in his house had a cover on it and usually everything had been improved by customizing as well. Most of his stuff he had, he built from scratch (meaning built his own circuit boards on up) as well (Stereos, Computers, Testing Equipment, Creations etc). The guy was truly amazing.

Blake
[text was edited by author 2002-07-04 03:07:28]

JrC384k
Chicago, IL

JrC384k

I like to take stuff apart too. The Linksys boggled me since there were no screws. I didn't wanna rip the little rubber feet off to look for screws since that would show I tampered with it. I didn't wanna pull the two top halves apart because I was afraid I would break it (note that if I did do that, it would have been broken). I never would have thought to do that. Once I did as Bill said, it all fell into place.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

Whoa... what did I start here? LOL!

Jr, that must be a V2 since it has 1 board. My early-V1 is a few months over 2 years old now and has 2 boards with a tin-post connector between them. The processors are the same. Hey.... your FLASH isn't in a socket is it? (the square chip with the label). That would make it harder to self-recover from corrupted firmware.

BTW, you're good if you didn't leave *any* tool marks. I wasn't that meticulous.
[text was edited by author 2002-07-04 07:59:42]

JrC384k
Chicago, IL

JrC384k

Uh...I mentioned above that it was a broken hub. I don't use it anymore but I bust it out every now and then for a LAN party. No tool marks here. I didn't even have to pry the front off. I just grabbed it by the legs and pulled.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI

Bill_MI

MVM

Duh!!! That's Compman's V2!!! Sorry 'bout that confooosion of mine.
Compman21
Lockport, IL

1 recommendation

Compman21

Last better pic of the broken capacitor
Compman21

Compman21

Ah and yes to answer a email i got from someone on the boards..yes the red wan light was on that was its final "red flag" now all it does it look like a light show and nothing more lol.