Piscataway, NJ

1 recommendation

mbernste

MVM

Comcast Proxy Listing

comcastproxies.zip
10,517 bytes
(comcastproxies.xls)
For those who might have problems getting to some sites or are experiencing routing issues, you might want to try an alternate proxy. Enclosed is a listing of the Comcast proxies. Special thanks to tomkcr for originally posting the Comcast proxy listing. For those who wish to have the listing in order by state, feel free to download the attached file. I took tomkcr's list and threw it into Excel, broke it up by "." sorted it and concatenated it back together (phew!)
mewing21
join:2002-05-25
Clementon, NJ

mewing21

Will this make your connection faster or just the same?

NickD
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Princeton Junction, NJ

NickD to mbernste

Premium Member

to mbernste
We wouldn't use the Comcast proxy even if they paid us.

items
Is Items Good For America?
join:2002-06-26
Lancaster, PA

items

We can obviously see which areas Comcast felt investitures in HSI should fall into place on the ladder when @home went under. Reliable mail, news or... proxies. Yup. Proxies are always the first thing I think about going with an ISP.

Mike

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

1 recommendation

mbernste to NickD

MVM

to NickD
Whether you like it or not you are using the proxies. Unlike @Home in which you had a choice, Comcast institutes the proxies at the headend (local headend proxy) and that is what IE uses if you have "automatically detect settings." If you use an alternate proxy from the list, then it will use that proxy instead. Comcast never agreed to stop using proxies when that whole privacy thing surfaced, they just promised to stop recording individual IPs to specific sites.
Anon
Anon

Anon

Anon

Are you sure about that? Almost looks totally enforced over here. Port 80 redirect at the head end weither you have a proxy turned on or not OR automatic proxy detection.
Fairly simple to do in the network gear, and I would assume a provider like comcast, to keep bandwidth utilization lower, would be caching pages. Fairly common practice....

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

I'm pretty sure. During the transition period for about two weeks many people, including myself, could not access certain sites due to a misconfiguration of Comcast's new proxies. Putting in alternate proxies (in this situation a non-Comcast proxy)resulted in being able to access the sites, regardless of what proxy configuration Comcast was (and is) using. Additionally, I know that several Comcast users for varying reasons do not use the Comcast DNS servers, but third party servers.

NickD
Premium Member
Princeton Junction, NJ

NickD to mbernste

Premium Member

to mbernste
I don't have automatic detection and don't use their proxy I use is my local Proxomitron, which doesn't use a proxy. On »www.whatismyipaddress.com/ I get my own IP address. I can ping my proxy server by doing ping "proxy".
furgoon
join:2002-02-21
Somewhere

furgoon to mbernste

to mbernste
Call me crazy...but this list looks like a listing of all the DNS servers that Comcast employs. Please correct me if I am wrong.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by furgoon:
Call me crazy...but this list looks like a listing of all the DNS servers that Comcast employs. Please correct me if I am wrong.
You're crazy

The addresses of the DNS servers are very similar. Usually off by 1 or 2 numbers on the last position of the IP addresses listed in the file.

For example swedesb01(Swedesboro,NJ)
DNS addresses = 68.46.144.5 & 68.46.144.6
Proxy addresses = 68.46.144.7 & 68.46.144.8
FFH5

FFH5 to mbernste

Premium Member

to mbernste
At least for my local area, Comcast is not sending my internet connection thru a transparent proxy server by default.

Proof??
When accessing the internet on purpose by pointing to my local Comcast proxy(68.46.144.7), the RWIN reported by sites that can determine that(like PCpitsop and others) is 16060 and Timestamps are on.
When accessing the internet with proxy turned off(the normal way I work), the RWIN is 65535 and Timestamps are off like I have set in the registry. I think this shows that Comcast is NOT sending my connection thru their proxy server without my actively selecting that.

PetDude

join:2001-02-20
Annapolis, MD
102.4 14.2

PetDude to mbernste

to mbernste
If you would like to prove to yourself that you are not going through a transparent proxy, there are several ways to test for it, right at this site.

First, try the IP reflector here: »/whois . If you are going through a proxy, the IP of that proxy might be reflected, depending upon the implementation. If not, you will see the IP assigned to your computer (or router). Since this isn't fool-proof, go to the next step if your unique public IP is displayed.

Second, just go to the front page of this site. After the initial transparent proxy debacle that Comcast put us through, Justin added a feature to the site to warn users if they are going through a proxy. If so, when you visit the front page, you will see a warning in red letters at the top that says: "proxy detected! cas02.rtchrd01.md.comcast.net (what does this mean?" with the name of the proxy you are going through instead of the one seen in this example. It's easy enough to test. Just plug in one of those proxy server in your browser and go to the front page. Uncheck the proxy setting then refresh. You will see the light.

NickD
Premium Member
Princeton Junction, NJ

NickD to mbernste

Premium Member

to mbernste
I don't get the proxy warning on BBR.

pazuzu5
join:2001-06-14
King Of Prussia, PA

pazuzu5 to mbernste

to mbernste
Hmmmmm, I know at least with Squid it's possible to fools the proxy test sites into thinking it's a non-proxied connection... I verified it at that Lagano site...

dwhayden
join:2000-12-23
Greenwood, IN

dwhayden to NickD

to NickD
I wouldn't doubt it if this only happens if you installed the Comcast software. I'm willing to bet Comcast updated IE to point to their proxy if you have the automatic detect checked. From my understanding that auto detect doesn't do anything unless you configure your IE using the Internet Explorer Admin Kit.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to pazuzu5

Premium Member

to pazuzu5
said by pazuzu:
I verified it at that Lagano site...
I've never been detected as going through a proxy, even when all the noise was being made a few months ago. If I set up IE with one of the proxies in the list it gets detected, including the Lagano site.

BTW - here are the ones associated with my DNS but not on the list:
68.82.0.7 cas01.lebnon01.pa.comcast.net
68.82.0.8 cas02.lebnon01.pa.comcast.net
[text was edited by author 2002-07-08 16:06:16]

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to pazuzu5

Premium Member

to pazuzu5
said by pazuzu:
Hmmmmm, I know at least with Squid it's possible to fools the proxy test sites into thinking it's a non-proxied connection... I verified it at that Lagano site...
What is the URL of the Lagano site you refer to??

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by tomkcr:
What is the URL of the Lagano site you refer to??
http://www.lagado.com/proxy-test