spc
uniqs
gunshot
join:2002-05-18
Guelph, ON

gunshot to TheMatrix

to TheMatrix

Re: Rogers' highest tier to be 3000/384

if you all got solid proof of rogers capping your speed and $5 increase in service then drag them to court. a $5 price hike suppose to give you even better service, not drop your cable to a 56k modem connection.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Well, I have solid proof on both accounts. But I would get laughed out of court, because Rogers' user agreement & policy is about 100 pages long and includes every possible clause to protect their own ass, and screw the customer. As for the proof, the new speed cap is listed on their website, and for the $5, its been on my bill the past 3 months. And what can I do? Absolutley jack.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

As soon as you paid that extra $5, in the eyes of the law, you accepted the price increase.

As far as the speed issue goes, Rogers will maintain that their network integrity needs customers to be throttled. This is the best way, they'll argue, to ensure that the constant outages they were famous for, don't happen as often. I don't think a lawsuit would stand up in court because they do have a pretty airtight TOS, and they're still delivering service comparable to DSL in price and quality?.

BTW, does anybody know what happened with that class action lawsuit against Rogers over the constant outages they had when they were still with @Home?

jbcalg
Premium Member
join:2001-10-08
Calgary, AB

jbcalg

Premium Member

said by shaner:
As far as the speed issue goes, Rogers will maintain that their network integrity needs customers to be throttled...
LOL you mean the customer's speed to be throttled, or the customer's themselves?

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

said by jbcalg:
said by shaner:
As far as the speed issue goes, Rogers will maintain that their network integrity needs customers to be throttled...
LOL you mean the customer's speed to be throttled, or the customer's themselves?

Hahaha! I can just hear ol' Ted right now. "This business would run so damn smooth if it weren't for all these whiny customers! Throttle them all!"
The Fist
join:2002-07-11
Mississauga, ON

The Fist

Well Mad Tv Fanatic has been priceless in getting me into the loop of what the hell has happened with Rogers and my connection. Thanks for your comments, they are right on and answered alot of questions for this newbie. Im pissed off and totally dumbfounded at this. Who ever heard of price increase w/ quality decrease and expect customer patronage? Screw this. But what do I do now? I want speed, and am willing to pay a fair price for it. Anyone know of any companies that still offer this seemingly outdated service?

p.s they called you an abuser for using the internet alot? Talk about going back on promises. That is total shit. Heres an idea Rogers: invest some of the money we pay you into keeping your current customers by instituting the means to provide for your future costumers. How u ask? Well the saying goes "the answer to 99 out of 100 questions asked is 'money'" you have it. Use it! Or im gone.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by The Fist:
Heres an idea Rogers: invest some of the money we pay you into keeping your current customers by instituting the means to provide for your future costumers. How u ask? Well the saying goes "the answer to 99 out of 100 questions asked is 'money'" you have it. Use it! Or im gone.
there isn't a lot of money left after the Blue Jays lost US$52 million last year-at least they finished number one in baseball at something
illusionis
join:2002-07-03
Canada

illusionis to The Fist

to The Fist
said by The Fist:
Well Mad Tv Fanatic has been priceless in getting me into the loop of what the hell has happened with Rogers and my connection. Thanks for your comments, they are right on and answered alot of questions for this newbie. Im pissed off and totally dumbfounded at this. Who ever heard of price increase w/ quality decrease and expect customer patronage? Screw this. But what do I do now? I want speed, and am willing to pay a fair price for it. Anyone know of any companies that still offer this seemingly outdated service?

p.s they called you an abuser for using the internet alot? Talk about going back on promises. That is total shit. Heres an idea Rogers: invest some of the money we pay you into keeping your current customers by instituting the means to provide for your future costumers. How u ask? Well the saying goes "the answer to 99 out of 100 questions asked is 'money'" you have it. Use it! Or im gone.
Then go... you're an ignorant person anyways... Rogers spends more than the money they get back, due to bandwidth and other costs.

Uriel3
join:2001-11-26

Uriel3

said by illusionis:
...Then go... you're an ignorant person anyways... Rogers spends more than the money they get back, due to bandwidth and other costs.
Calling Roger's subscribers ignorant automatically disqualifies you as a fire fighter. If Roger's is spending more than they are getting back it's not solely due to what they are now paying for bandwidth but rather because of incompetence, bad administration, lack of foresight, false advertising, mismanagement, wastage, padding the pockets of the ones at the top and to pay for the type of propaganda that you are spitting out here.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Uriel:
said by illusionis:
...Then go... you're an ignorant person anyways... Rogers spends more than the money they get back, due to bandwidth and other costs.
Calling Roger's subscribers ignorant automatically disqualifies you as a fire fighter. If Roger's is spending more than they are getting back it's not solely due to what they are now paying for bandwidth but rather because of incompetence, bad administration, lack of foresight, false advertising, mismanagement, wastage, padding the pockets of the ones at the top and to pay for the type of propaganda that you are spitting out here.
Amen brother.
illusionis
Canada

illusionis to Uriel3

to Uriel3
said by Uriel:

Or maybe it's because of the 120gb downloads and 30gb uploads a month of customers that they pay this much? Some people download every new game that hits the market, every DVD rip, every SVCD, and runs 24/7 servers to share it. And considering at least 15gb is released daily of pirated software and movies alone... do the math.

Uriel3
join:2001-11-26

Uriel3

said by illusionis:
... do the math.
Doing the math should not be one sided or should I say short-sighted, I personally transfer between 40 to 70 maximum total dn/up MBs per day, a 5GB monthly download cap is 160MB per day and I believe that a 10GB down and 5GB upload bit-cap would be more reasonable and advertising it would drown Sympatico and the 36,000 cancelled subscribers within the last 36 days would flee to Roger's and not to other DSL/ADSL providers. I can see a cap being enforced in uploads but find it hard for Roger's to justify such a small 5GB dn cap if the plan is to match Sympatico. I would suggest you also do the math providing you can get your hands on the actual figures being expended vis-a-vis bandwidth costs ratio to other operating/capital costs and you will come to the conclusion that the primary problem does not rest with excessive download transfers but rather with excessive overhead operational and less than adequate long range planning. I can not sympathize with customers paying for home service while uploading as a business server. To penalize subscribers to the level very close to the customer base is going to financially hurt Roger's in the long run.
illusionis
Canada

illusionis

said by Uriel:

Doing the math should not be one sided or should I say short-sighted, I personally transfer between 40 to 70 maximum total dn/up MBs per day, a 5GB monthly download cap is 160MB per day and I believe that a 10GB down and 5GB upload bit-cap would be more reasonable and advertising it would drown Sympatico and the 36,000 cancelled subscribers within the last 36 days would flee to Roger's and not to other DSL/ADSL providers. I can see a cap being enforced in uploads but find it hard for Roger's to justify such a small 5GB dn cap if the plan is to match Sympatico. I would suggest you also do the math providing you can get your hands on the actual figures being expended vis-a-vis bandwidth costs ratio to other operating/capital costs and you will come to the conclusion that the primary problem does not rest with excessive download transfers but rather with excessive overhead operational and less than adequate long range planning. I can not sympathize with customers paying for home service while uploading as a business server. To penalize subscribers to the level very close to the customer base is going to financially hurt Roger's in the long run.
I agree that 5gb is too low... 15gb down, 5gb up seems more reasonable. However, some customers are doing 120gb down and 30gb up a month... not really fair, now is it? Rogers is offering a new deal, people who don't like it has no commitment to stay. However, much as they whine, they still cling to Rogers... because they're still one of the best.
hotzet
join:2002-07-28
Ottawa, ON

hotzet to shaner

to shaner
Remember: if you have one of Rogers techs come to your house for an install/whatever, MAKE SURE you INSIST that you ALWAYS keep ALL power, Ethernet and coax cables. Maybe their service people are trained in deadly arts... God knows most aren't trained for broadband issues or customer support!