uniqs
illusionis
join:2002-07-03
Canada

illusionis to HiVolt

to HiVolt

Re: Rogers' highest tier to be 3000/384

said by HiVolt:

Hahaha.... Screw Rogers, I don't give a hoot what they pay. I switched to broadband for a reason in 1998. Not about to switch back cuz of some lame provider's insane restrictions, after 4 years of having unrestricted access.

You don't care, and expect them to? To them, you're not a customer, you're a liability... you cost them more than you pay. It's only out of their kindness that they still keep you on. So stop whining.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by illusionis:

You don't care, and expect them to? To them, you're not a customer, you're a liability... you cost them more than you pay. It's only out of their kindness that they still keep you on. So stop whining.
Excuse me? If their service was perfect, and they wouldn't do these behind the scenes speed reductions, maybe I would have a better opinion of Rogers. Read this if you want to know my story behind my "whining".

»www.ihaterogers.ca/rants4.htm

The one on the top is mine. Those are just SOME horror stories I've had with Rogers.
illusionis
Canada

illusionis

said by HiVolt:
Excuse me? If their service was perfect, and they wouldn't do these behind the scenes speed reductions, maybe I would have a better opinion of Rogers. Read this if you want to know my story behind my "whining".

»www.ihaterogers.ca/rants4.htm

The one on the top is mine. Those are just SOME horror stories I've had with Rogers.

Their service is way better than dial-up, on a price/speed and price/monthly transfer ratio, is it not?

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by illusionis:
Their service is way better than dial-up, on a price/speed and price/monthly transfer ratio, is it not?
Indeed it is, that's why I switched to Cable 4 years ago. My beef is just that I've seen the service quality degrade so much, speed reduced, sneaky tactics to raise prices, unprofessional tech support, I'm just a little bit fed up with Rogers.
illusionis
Canada

illusionis

said by HiVolt:

Indeed it is, that's why I switched to Cable 4 years ago. My beef is just that I've seen the service quality degrade so much, speed reduced, sneaky tactics to raise prices, unprofessional tech support, I'm just a little bit fed up with Rogers.

However, since it is still the best service out there, there really isn't any reasont to complain. I've seen ISP's sucker newer users to pay $35 a month for dial-up... why don't you complain about that instead?

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by illusionis:

However, since it is still the best service out there, there really isn't any reasont to complain. I've seen ISP's sucker newer users to pay $35 a month for dial-up... why don't you complain about that instead?
Why would I complain about that? I'd laugh at the idiots that get suckered into "deals" like that. Pick a better comeback buddy.
illusionis
Canada

illusionis

www.aaainet.com

$20US a month, or $35 canadian... almost as much as Rogers Cable, but for 56K... and there's a LOT of companies who do that and are flourishing, preying off new users. If you really want fairness, complain about that, instead of an AMAZING company that just went down to EXCELLENT because of caps.
[text was edited by author 2002-07-13 23:00:28]

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX to illusionis

Premium Member

to illusionis
said by illusionis:
said by HiVolt:

Now if I used the internet for just e-mail and surfing... F!@* cable, I'll go back to 56k!

BUT CABLE WAS MEANT TO BE USED LIKE THIS! WITH MILLIONS OF USERS ONLINE SIMULTANEOUSLY! DOWNLOADING AND UPLOADING DATA EVERY SINGLE SECOND! IF THEIR STUPID NETWORKS CAN'T SUPPORT IT, THEY OBVIOUSLY CAN'T RUN AN ISP!

Something like each street is limited to 45mbps. If your neighbour watches TV, it slows down your connection by a few kbps... but if they are surfing off the same pipe, it'll really affect you. Cable is a noisy technology, but also a very fast one if it can be run properly...

Now answer this... Roadrunner Cable / AOL Time Warner (U.S ISPs) can support 3megs down and 900kbps upload. They pay the same amount that we do with the difference of currency.... But they don't seem to have any probs... What's the problem with Rogers?
[text was edited by author 2002-08-29 23:58:59]

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

1 recommendation

sbrook

Mod

said by zinfinity:

BUT CABLE WAS MEANT TO BE USED LIKE THIS! WITH MILLIONS OF USERS ONLINE SIMULTANEOUSLY! DOWNLOADING AND UPLOADING DATA EVERY SINGLE SECOND! IF THEIR STUPID NETWORKS CAN'T SUPPORT IT, THEY OBVIOUSLY CAN'T RUN AN ISP!

Wrong.

Cable was not designed to be used like that at all! Broadband on Cable was based on an enhanced dialup model of about 5-10 years old where there wasn't all the rich content we see today. It was intended predominantly for browsing and mail and the odd bit of rich content.

To be economically viable at sub $50, an ISP, whether dialup or broadband, must oversell his capacity on the basis that not everyone on the system is going to be active all at the same time. This is the very reason for the speed throttling, and the data caps to come.

If you want a network in which you can upload and download constantly every minute of every day, especially at broadband speeds, then you need at least T1 capability. A T1 will cost you in the ballpark of $1000 per month, plus line rental charges from your telco - maybe $1500 per month.

So, your $50 cable connection which can provide peak performance near T1 capability has to be oversold at least 20 times. (We'll include your line rental as a part of the cost of providing TV).

Now given that you're overselling at least 20:1, that means that you can't possibly give a consistently high service level to everyone simultaneously. You want higher service standards, you have to pay for it. I wish there was a way to pay for higher standards from a cable operator ... but for now, there isn't.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX

Premium Member

... whatever, the infastructure is still able to handle all that bandwidth.

Imagine... 6 years ago, you get 10mbps for $39.95 / month.. then today, you get 1.5mbps for $55.95 / month... You call that fair?

Now... I don't know what you think of this.. but I call it being ripped off. You can't advertise a speed one year and change it the next without notifying your customers. And the speeds changed dramatically... from 10mbps to 1.5 megs in 4 years is mind boggling!

They said last year, "100x faster than conventional dial up service" .. So yes, that was around 3-4 megs.. but now were here, a year later, and they still say the same thing, whereas the speeds are NO WHERE near it. Then not to mention how many people have the problem with their modems disconnecting... They SERIOUSLY have to improve their service, and seeing you're not one of their customers, you have no say in this..
[text was edited by author 2002-08-30 22:51:51]