uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gramzster
Click, Click

join:2002-07-02
London, ON

Rogers DHCP n' me

Hey Everyone,
Ever since I got Rogers (in June 2000), I have always had issues with their DHCP server. Sometimes my computer (running windows 2000 server) is unable to renew it's ip address after the lease expires and my computer's internet connection is left in the dark. It eventually works 3 hours after I play with it (ya know, turning off the modem.. things like that) and eventually restarting the computer (that's the only way it will renew it.. It does not respond to renewing it using 'IPConfig /renew' command). Today, I decided that I wanted to try my connection on another device (cisco router). So I released my ip address from my computer, and plugged in the modem and configured the device, but no luck obtaining an ip address. So I decided to plug my modem back into my computer, and when I attempted to renew my address, it once again was unable to obtain an ip address and I find the only way to fix this is turning off the computer and turning it back on.

Has anyone else had problems like this?

Oh, and does Rogers use anything (besides the hostname) for control of their ip addresses like keeping a record of your network card's MAC address?

Thanks

skillton

join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON

yea rogers uses the nic's mac adress to asign ip's... try resting ur modem for like 20 mins... just leave it off and then plug in the cable and the network cable then turn it on... it mite work...

jlupien
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Ladysmith, BC
reply to Gramzster

Have you got zone alarm installed? We see this quite often where DHCP re-requests have been blocked, but the initial request is allowed to go through. Might be something to check if you have any firewall though.

Dark_Cobra

join:2002-04-12
North York, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Gramzster

Ya, that happens to me too... im running a duel OS (98 and XP, for various reasons i wont go in to)... and every now and then i get the same prob... On my XP it seems to renew the IP on every boot... same with when i was running 2K pro, and 2K sever. i found, most of the time, a simple reboot will fix the prob.... the only thing is that i havent gotten a new IP in like 3 months... thou i think thats cuz i keep for getting to release my 98 connection...
--
AMD T-BIRD 1.2GHz -OCed to 1.344Ghz - 256Meg - 4x 32 AGP - 39.5Gig - CABLE (*Crap*) - XP PRO - 2000 PRO -I AM IMMORTAL, I HAVE INSIDE ME BLOOD OF KINGS, YEAH, I HAVE NO RIVAL, NO MAN CAN BE MY EQUAL

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Gramzster

Yeah I have similar issues with Rogers DHCP servers. When it fails to renew the IP it just sits there, doing nothing. I too run Win2k Server. ipconfig /renew does nothing and spits out errors. Usually turning off the modem for 2-3 minutes, then plugging it back in resolves the issue... Countless calls to Rogers about this issue go upon deaf ears, they keep saying its my Win2k Server that's the problem, because they don't support the business operating system... Horseshit if you ask me, but what can I do... I've just about given up on calling Rogers on outages, they never fix it and claim its always a problem on my end...
--
Crunch for Team Discovery!
Also visit www.ihaterogers.ca

leafzfan50

join:2002-05-02
reply to Gramzster

If you are using a router, go into the routers config, and clone your NIC MAC address in the router. Only way it will work. TO get into the router config, there should be an IP address provided in the router manual. Uncheck any proxy's in LAN SETTINGS and then type in the router config IP in internet explorer(something like 192.168.xx.xx.) Then search around for something that says CLONE MAC ADDRESS. This varies with different routers, so I wont be able to tell you exactly where it is. Hope it works.