spc
Search similar:

uniqs

JrC384k
join:2000-09-24
Chicago, IL

JrC384k

New (used) hard drive error.

I just got a new (for me) but used Western Digital hard drive (40GB ATA100 7200rpm). Since I had to RMA 2 WDs before, I ran the diagnostic program after partitioning and formatting the drive (It may be a free drive but I still don't trust it). Well, this drive came up with some problems. First it gave me error code 0257. I checked it online and it said
said by Error 257:
Error Correction Code. Between two to nine errors have been detected. ECC is a hardware correction technique that corrects errors. If ECC occurs, use Data Lifeguard repair option for additional error correction. Please re-test the drive with Data Lifeguard. Action to take, re-test drive
So I re-tested the drive this time it said it had problems on it that could be repaired so I tried to repair it. After a few minutes of "repairing," I got an error 0212. This one said
said by Error 212:
Transparent Auto RElocate. An error was reported by the drive during the Write command (to cause the auto-relocation) or the Read Verify command (to verify the relocation happened). Action to take, replace drive
Well this will be #3 for me. How is the Western Digital RMA department? Still slow?

dragon
MVM,
join:2001-01-30
Spring, TX

dragon

MVM,

said by JrC384k:
How is the Western Digital RMA department? Still slow?

i've always had a fast response time with wd. contact wd's tech support and give them the hd info and error code. if it's under warranty, usually there are two options: 1)send the hd in and they send a replacement, or 2) give them your credit card and they will send you the replacement first, in case you happen to have data on the drive that needed saving. you would then have 30 days to return the defective drive or they charge you for the drive.

smoothdog
join:2001-11-27
Deltona, FL

smoothdog to JrC384k

to JrC384k
If you've got a cc use the option for them to ship you one.Takes 3-5 days and you get package material to return your defective drive in.

JrC384k
join:2000-09-24
Chicago, IL

JrC384k to dragon

to dragon
This isn't that bad. Back in the day (1996) when I had to replace WD drives, it took a month and some days to get a drive back from them. If they really are this fast then I guess they are getting better (because of new RMA facility?)

Edit:

So how do I ship this thing to them? I have packing materials (an old Maxtor box, an anti-static bag, and foam lining that came in the Maxtor box). The box has Maxtor all over it. Do I wrap it in some brown paper first? Also can someone give me a guesstimate on how much it would take to ship it USPS Priority with tracking and confirmation?
[text was edited by author 2002-07-13 16:08:19]