Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Looks like I'm Rogerred for life!

Well, looks like I'm officially stuck with Rogers for a while, if I want to have high speed.... Made inquiries with Bell Canada about DSL, not even 1mbit DSL is available for my number, and 3mbit is way out of the question... Too far away from the CO. If Bell doesn't service my line with DSL, no small ISP will either. Ted Rogers has me by the balls. And I'm not going back to dialup, no freakin way after having cable for 4 years hehe. I just hope that Rogers offers this new higher speed package soon...
--
Crunch for Team Discovery!
Also visit www.ihaterogers.ca

Bob Carrick
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2000-04-24
New York, NY

There is always wireless, point to point, satellite. Etc. We only have about 65 ISPs listed on the site now, but some of those options already exist and as the site gets more exposure more ISPs will sign up and you may just find you do have the choice.
--
Bobhttp://www.carricksolutions.com - The largest PPPoE Help Website, including Tango Manager, EnterNet, WinPoET, MacPoET, Sympatico Access Manager,RASPPPoE, CFoS, NetVoyager, Broadjump SAM

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

I looked into that.. So far there's only 3 wireless companies listed, 2 of them are above $200/mo, and the other has no info at all on their website about wireless access. And there is no point-to-point ISP either. What is Point-2-Point anyway? And I'm not even gonna bother with satellite, might as well stay with Rogers.
--

Bob Carrick
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2000-04-24
New York, NY

Point to Point would be like a t1 or ds3 etc, etc.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Hehe, like I can afford that... Maybe if I sell my soul to the devil! Oh well, for now its Rogers or dialup! I'll take Rogers. I can't believe all this time I thought I had choice to go to DSL (stupid sympatico online checker still says its available), and it turns out I don't.
--

drprat

join:2002-02-02

said by HiVolt:
Hehe, like I can afford that... Maybe if I sell my soul to the devil!

With rogers as ur isp, U ALREADY HAVE!!! haha....

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

said by drprat:

With rogers as ur isp, U ALREADY HAVE!!! haha....
.....And don't I know it...

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:
Hehe, like I can afford that... Maybe if I sell my soul to the devil! Oh well, for now its Rogers or dialup! I'll take Rogers. I can't believe all this time I thought I had choice to go to DSL (stupid sympatico online checker still says its available), and it turns out I don't.

Well then setup your own ISP, undercut rogers and sell bandwidth to the people in the city via wireless. That's all I can think of

A few people in diffrent places do this already, make some query's about it and see what happens. Maybe you can launch a successful counter to "bell, or rogers" that most of us get stuck with on the east side of the country.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

Heh, yeah maybe I'll ask Bill Gates to adopt me or something, then I'll have the resources needed to start my own ISP.

Mashiki

Woodstock, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House

said by HiVolt:
Heh, yeah maybe I'll ask Bill Gates to adopt me or something, then I'll have the resources needed to start my own ISP.
If anything I've ever learned it's anything is possible. All you need are the right contacts and know a few decent people at a good bank. Hell if you can lay a decent business plan you can probbly get a goverment grant to start up, or even intrest free loans.

drprat

HAHA... i don't mean to sound negative, but in a city of this size and two media giants it's near impossible to setup ur own dialup ISP, let alone broadband ISP... i've read of some hick town (meaning extremely tiny) in the US building their own DSL network by making deals with comcast or some other ISP.... they even have a website and all (sorry i don't remember)...

all we can do now is sit there and watch as these corporate giants use our capitalist society to their advantage =)

-prat

Mashiki

Woodstock, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House

said by drprat:
HAHA... i don't mean to sound negative, but in a city of this size and two media giants it's near impossible to setup ur own dialup ISP, let alone broadband ISP... i've read of some hick town (meaning extremely tiny) in the US building their own DSL network by making deals with comcast or some other ISP.... they even have a website and all (sorry i don't remember)...

all we can do now is sit there and watch as these corporate giants use our capitalist society to their advantage =)

-prat
Yes, well here is the question. Do you truely think that way, or what you seen of the corporate world, the way it works and how corperations treat people make you think that way? Laws do exist to protect smaller compaines from being crushed by monopolies. But, the "small hick" town your talking about was the home of multi-millionaires and such (lawyers, doctors, ect). They forced the ISP's to sell them bandwidth, and lay the cable in the land from the anti-monopoly laws.

So, what's stopping you in canada? Fear of failure? Possibly, lack of services run? No, tell me a company that doesn't want to make money. Lack of money? A good possiblity, write a good business plan, and present it to your MP to secure a goverment "internet" loan. After all, they do want the entire country wired right?

drprat

in toronto:

it's simple: cable lines owned by rogers
phone lines owned by bell
- therefore we must find alternatives

so as mashiki mentioned above, wireless is the only solution, but is it feasable? hmmmm... let's see... first we'll need an AMAZING business plan to sway the banks and gov't into giving us a loan, a loan which would be in the hundreds of thousands + (in my opinion) (+ the gov't of canada is interested in havin broadband avail in remote and unserviced areas, not major centres like the GTA)... second, we'll need some ppl (skilled in several areas) that are willing to either quit their day job or a hoarde of ppl willing to split their time to run the business.... third, we'll require a permit to use the air (not sure about cost, but i'm sure it's UP there)... finally, we'll have to make a deal with some corp to carry our traffic.... and don't forget the data centre, offices, support centre, etc....

i found the article i was talking about:
»www.msnbc.com/news/761972.asp

u are correct about the town being rich with lawyers, etc. but their circumstances simply can't be compared... these ppl have to put up a $300 setup fee plus pay $60 (US figures) a month, *all for DSL service*.... that's not including the $12,000 they scrounged together for the equipment + the months of litigation, etc.

i guess we could start in a small and willing area in toronto, but... i dunno....

i guess what i'm getting at is if u really wanna get "heard" or make difference in this society there's a LOT of red tape ur gonna have to break through....

jus my view... then again what do i know, i'm only 16...

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

If I had a million dollars...... I'd buy me a T3.....

HongKongPolice

@sympatico.ca
reply to HiVolt

Do you have a DOCSIS modem at least? If you do then you should be gettin good pings and speeds

drprat

i'm with HiVolt as well.... my speeds and ping are S**T!!!... i'm not kiddin... i've been a customer when since Shaw was around (about 1998 or so) and service has been slidin ever since...

i have multiple trouble tickets out (for atleast 6 months now) and i always receive the same answer evry time i call to check on them, "they're still in pending status"... it REALLY pisses me off....

first they charge us $5 more... then they cut our speeds by half (1.5mbit from 3).... soon enough they'll be cappin our traffic... all the while, customers like myself are SCRWED wit crappy speeds and sh***y pings.... for multiplayer gaming, i'm better off wit a 56k modem.... prob is DSL isn't avail in my area and cable is somewhat decent when compared to dial-up..... corporate america.... scrwin with us 24/7.....

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Yeah well no DSL for me either... On Shaw I used to host 32player quake2 games with pings under 50. Shaw was full duplex, Rogers is half duplex. So as soon you start using some upstream, your downstream slows down large. If I dont send anything, I can download at 120-150KB/sec. If I start a FTP upload at 8KB/sec, my downloads drop dramatically to 30-40KB/sec, and if I upload at a full speed of 21KB/sec my downloads are slower than the upload speed. Its that pathetic. With Shaw I could send at over 120KB/sec and still download at 5-600KB/sec at the same time!
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to HongKongPolice

Nope, no DOCSIS. I have the same Terayon modem I was originally given by Shaw 4 years ago. Good modem, just terrible service from Rogers.

drprat

same probs here......

i guess we should listen to mashiki, "So, what's stopping you in canada?".... we've gotta help organizations like RBUA.. alone, we are nothing, together we atleast have a chance.....