Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Full or Half Duplex?

I tried switching my NIC's duplex mode from the default Auto setting. here are the results.

10mbps Half Duplex - normal connection
10mbps Full Duplex - connection works, but extremely slow (under 100kbps) speed tests
100mbps Half Duplex - Link, no IP from DHCP.
100mbps Full Duplex - no Link, Win2k says "Network Cable Unplugged"

Has anyone had any success in using Full Duplex on their Rogers connection? Or its just not possible? My modem is a Terayon TCM100.
--
Crunch for Team Discovery!
Also visit www.ihaterogers.ca

Dark_Cobra

join:2002-04-12
North York, ON
i read this @ like 1 in the mornin and tryed it... heres wut i got:

basically the same as u:

Auto: Obviously normal
10mbps half duplex: Faster speeds from page to page, better pings in CS.
10mbps Full Duplex: same, no difference in the pings, small decrease in the speed.
100mbps Half Duplex: temp link to the CM, not perminently connected... connects, disconnects... after a min, it was connected, but i didnt seem to have a ip... then after a min or two, the connection to the CM went dead... "Network Cable Unplugged"
100mbps Full Duplex: "Network Cable Unplugged," same as u.

from wut i can tell, the connection from the NIC to CM needs to be ether Auto (work the best) or 10mbps half duplex (seems to be better speed :S ) i dont think a full duplex connection is possibe, i have the same Terayon... it seems that with the caps we have, the only connection speed is 10mbps half.... i think its smthin in the config file that rogers sends out when the modem goes online... try disconnection the the cable line into the CM, unplug it for a min, to clear the memory... the plug it in w/o the coax cable connected... then mess with the settings... if u can connect to the CM @ 100mbps full duplex (and u should, b/c the modems has a max speed of 45MBit down and 10MBit up...) the connection to the CM should go to 100 full.... id try that but my WinXP Pro doesnt seem to like a full duplex connection... it freez up most of the time... took me 5 try b4 it didnt freez.... neways, check if a connection to the CM @ 100 full can be done w/o the coax cable connected... like i said i think it has to do wit the config file sent at boot...

so, im outta here... its 1:33AM.... if i seem to be going on, over and over, its cuz im tired... and as 4 da dude that likes to say that i can spel, u can bl*w me, its 1:33AM and ive been up since 7.... so this will be my last post till like 10 2morrow, latz all!!

btw, in my sig, its says wut im running...
--
-AMD T-BIRD 1.2GHz -OCed to 1.344Ghz - 256Meg - 4x 32 AGP - 39.5Gig - ROGERS (*CRAP*) CABLE - XP PRO - 2000 PRO- [U] I AM IMMORTAL, I HAVE INSIDE ME BLOOD OF KINGS, YEAH, I HAVE NO RIVAL, NO MAN CAN BE MY EQUAL