how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hman1

join:2002-01-17
Canada

Im not sure I get it...

I just passed by the SHaw forum and I came across many or all the Shaw Internet users getting like higher than us Rogers Internet users... Like around 5000k or 600Kb/s.
I also understand that Shaw is like the same thing as Rogers internet...hardware and cable wise jus somewhere else...

My question is that why are they getting better than us... And also are they gonna get capped too?

Friendol

join:2001-11-20
Vancouver, BC

At it's present form, Shaw's speed is definitely faster than Rogers' since you guys were further capped recently. Shaw capped the upload speed in B.C. at 512k. I believe as one goes East from B.C., the upload and download from Shaw seems to be better.

I am in Vancouver city and I am only getting an AVERAGE of less than 1.6 Mbits down and 450 up in my area (not complaining at all). Some areas are even worse. The "5000k or 6000Kb/s" you saw posted may be mainly from either people living in small towns or East of B.C. Even that, I doubt every much these are AVERAGE DL speed that one may experience any time of the day, any day of the week and from any server in the world.

Will caps (I think you mean speed cap here) ever comes to the West? .......Who knows? I think all the isps in Canada are watching Rogers and Sympatico very closely. From what I have read in these forums, I think Shaw is definitely better than Rogers in most cases.

Have a nice day

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

Thanks Friendol... I agree with your statement...Rogers to me is okay but not the best...I think they will get capped...

neeloy

join:2002-03-08
North Las Vegas, NV

Okay heres how it works. A headend controller has upstream and downstream line cards, each card costing in the neighborhood of 30,000 CAD/each. One downstream card has a bandwidth of in between 27 - 56 Mbps (depending on the cable plant and encoding used) and each upstream card has a bandwidth of 3 Mbps. Both Rogers and Shaw try to put as many customers on the existing line cards. How many people they put on each card is what determines what speeds people get. Cable internet is a shared service, a lot of people downloading at the same time quickly eats into the 30 or 60 Mbps available. So Rogers, serving typically denser areas than Shaw has slower speeds. Now a lot of other factors come in to play, management, default number of cards on the CMTS, etc. But that's basically an simple version of how cable works.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

But why, Neeloy, when Shaw had service in Ontario, were their customers getting insane speeds compared to what they got when Rogers took over the same densely populated areas?
--
I got my Sympatico HSE in a London box. Where did yours come from?

skillton

join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON

said by shaner:
But why, Neeloy, when Shaw had service in Ontario, were their customers getting insane speeds compared to what they got when Rogers took over the same densely populated areas?

cuz alot less ppl had it some areas
i had it in markham and i was gettin like 40% packet loss and like 20kB/sec download speeds and uploads under 2kB/sec.. @ nite i used to get over 750kB/sec download...

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB

But, Shaw and Rogers didn't coexist in the same areas. So when those Shaw customers were taken over by Rogers, the number of customers didn't change in that area, yet the speeds and service went down. Face it, Shaw was a much better ISP than Rogers could ever hope to be.
--
I got my Sympatico HSE in a London box. Where did yours come from?

skillton

Scarborough, ON
reply to hman1

i had it before rogers took over for shaw in that area
it was like 3-4 years ago

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB

And, how did that transfer of service go for you Skillton?

neeloy

join:2002-03-08
North Las Vegas, NV
reply to shaner

Okay, three factors you have to keep in mind. 1) When Rogers took over Ontario, the subscriber population was far more dense than what they were used to out west. 2) Shaw was operating on a primarily Motorola platform, one that Rogers didn't like and wasn't properly trained on. 3) They took over just as broadband was starting to get popular and therefore had to provision lines at a faster rate than Shaw was doing. While most of these factors were Rogers fault as much as anyone else's, they are why the hiccups were there. Heck, I can even remember 8 months ago, when we were giving Rogers business customers because they were the best around (steady 3000/256 and higher). Suffice to say, this is not the case anymore.

skillton

Scarborough, ON
reply to shaner

said by shaner:
And, how did that transfer of service go for you Skillton?
i moved back to north york and got the old terayon square modem... instead of my lan city... my pings went up by like 20 ms but i was gettin 300kB/sec download
i had all the modems rogers ever offered... i had lan city, old terayon, new terayon, motorola and now ericsson
anyway motorola was the worst platform so far... and lan city...

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

Thanks You guys for helping...I seem to get it now...Rogers is screwing us over...well I now get why Shaw thing happens...Ill probaly look into AEI...MAYBE

Thanks