uniqs
share rss forum feed

skillton

join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON
reply to Viggen93

Re: Sneaky trick to fool rogers techs

said by Viggen93:
Just wondering, what makes everyone here so sure that DOCSIS modem's get better "ping"?

the fact that every user that was switched from a terayon modem to a docsis modem reports better pings... including me.
terayon modems get 24ms pings to the 1st hop @ best... docsis modems get 6ms pings to the 1st hop @ best...
the modems use different technology... the terayon modems use s-cdma and the docsis modems use docsis... i'm guessing the way the technologies work is what makes one ping higher then the other...

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Well I used to get 5ms pings to my first hop with Shaw, on the Terayon. But thats long ago. I think the Terayon system is not as good when the segment has a lot of people using bandwidth, where as DOCSIS is more efficient at giving better service in a populated area.
--
Crunch for Team Discovery!
Also visit www.ihaterogers.ca

Anon Tech2

join:2002-02-02
London, ON
reply to skillton

Below is the ping time to my gateway with a 4-5yr old Lancity modem. Why would I want a different modem? I've moved 3 times since I first got cable, and have refused to return this modem for a new one every time.

PING 24.112.140.1 (24.112.140.1) from 24.112.xx.xx : 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 24.112.140.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=1.735 msec
64 bytes from 24.112.140.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=1.753 msec
64 bytes from 24.112.140.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=1.763 msec
64 bytes from 24.112.140.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=1.687 msec

Dark_Cobra

join:2002-04-12
North York, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·FreePhoneLine
reply to skillton

no all the teayons are s-cdma... i got a new TCM200... and its docsis.... when i had it installed it was in a new box, never opened, it said on it, terayon tcm 200, DOCSIS... i read the side, it say "meets all docsis standards"...so...that and my area when docsis a few days b4 i had the modem installed:) so i was the only1 with a new docsis modem:) for a few days at least... there prolly were a few others that had switched their CMs that day... but i swear, the 1st week since the area change... we had to b uncapped... i was getting over 3.5/1mbit... then that all changed.... now mostly every1 here is docsis... and im north york.... hi-speed internet is [b]REALLY[/]b popular, almost every1 has rogers:( and it seem to get slow @ times... thats y im thinkin of going to dsl...

latz
--
-AMD T-BIRD 1.2GHz -OCed to 1.344Ghz - 256Meg - 4x 32 AGP - 39.5Gig - ROGERS (*CRAP*) CABLE - XP PRO - 2000 PRO- I AM IMMORTAL, I HAVE INSIDE ME BLOOD OF KINGS, YEAH, I HAVE NO RIVAL, NO MAN CAN BE MY EQUAL

skillton

join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON
reply to Anon Tech2

yea lan city modems ping the lowest
if u got a constant signal with little noise and not 2 many ppl on ur cmts its good

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to Dark_Cobra

said by King_Cobra66:
no all the teayons are s-cdma... i got a new TCM200... and its docsis.... when i had it installed it was in a new box, never opened, it said on it, terayon tcm 200, DOCSIS... i read the side, it say "meets all docsis standards"

A Terayon TeraPro TCM 200 modem is NOT a DOCSIS modem. It is an S-CDMA modem connecting to a TeraLink CMTS and not a DOCSIS CMTS.

I have one right in front of me (The Rogers guy forgot to take it away when he installed the PipeRider (which IS DOCSIS). Nowhere on it does it admit to being DOCSIS.

Here's the link to the Terayon specs for the TCM 200
»www.terayon.com/admin/file_handl···o_ds.pdf

Now compare that to the Terayon specs of the TJ210 TeraJet modem which IS a DOCSIS modem.
»www.terayon.com/admin/file_handl···t_ds.pdf

Tinabops

@cpe.net.cable.rogers

I'm having a problem with my TCM 200.

When the tech guy came to install my Rogers cable, he told me my NIC wasn't installed properly. I don't know what the problem was, because it had worked fine (on a home network and with one of the old LanCity cable modems) up until that point.

So he gave me a USB network adapter. The internet works fine through it, but when directly linked up to my NIC, it doesn't work. The home network still works, though.

Does this modem only worth USB network adapters?

It's weird, because the top light is solid green, so it *should* be connected... it's as if the card doesn't recognize that it's hooked up to a modem, and I just installed the Windows ME driver for it, so why won't it work?

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Tinabops:
I'm having a problem with my TCM 200.

When the tech guy came to install my Rogers cable, he told me my NIC wasn't installed properly. I don't know what the problem was, because it had worked fine (on a home network and with one of the old LanCity cable modems) up until that point.

So he gave me a USB network adapter. The internet works fine through it, but when directly linked up to my NIC, it doesn't work. The home network still works, though.

Does this modem only worth USB network adapters?

It's weird, because the top light is solid green, so it *should* be connected... it's as if the card doesn't recognize that it's hooked up to a modem, and I just installed the Windows ME driver for it, so why won't it work?
The TCM-200 works with any 10base-t ethernet card or higher. The reason why you can't just switch from the USB NIC to your internal NIC easily is because Rogers only allows one MAC Address per modem, which is unique to any network adapter, be it internal or USB.
--
Also visit www.ihaterogers.ca and Planet MADtv

Tinabops

join:2002-09-11

What's a MAC address?

I read about it on the Terayon website, and the suggestion was to try rebooting the modem, then letting it come online, then rebooting the computer connected to try to get a new MAC address.

This didn't work.

I'm completely confused. Has anyone else run into the problem, and has anyone else successfully linked this type of modem to a Linksys Cable/DSL router, without paying for extra IP addresses? My old LanCity modem worked great... maybe I'll just put that back on :P
--
Intrinziq Communications
The Search for Paradise

[text was edited by author 2002-09-11 22:04:22]

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Tinabops:
What's a MAC address?

Read this, it has all the necessary steps.

»Rogers HiSpeed FAQ »How do I clone a MAC address with a Linksys router?

I've used Linksys 4 & 8 port routers with my Rogers connection without any problems after cloning the MAC address into the router's config...
--
Also visit www.ihaterogers.ca and Planet MADtv

Tinabops

join:2002-09-11

Hey, it worked!! Thanks so much!