how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hotzet

join:2002-07-28
Ottawa, ON

Router Help: D-Link DI-614+ and Rogers

Alright... I recently moved into a new, more VERTICAL house. Not wanting to have wires strung absolutely everywhere and deciding that it would be cool to have 802.11b for the laptop so I could surf from anywhere, I got the D-Link 614+ router. It's pretty standard, as Internet gateways go, just has a wireless link as well as the standard CAT5 cables.

So I brought it home, released the IP from the only computer I had set up to connect to the Internet (I should have a total of 3 available), and connected the router to the modem then the PC to the router through a normal wired connection.

The router uses a web-based interface to access settings, etc. though, and inlcudes a wizard that sets up the most common options. I've tried using both the wizard and manual, I've even tried using the old crXXXXX-x hostnames. I even went as far as telling the router to clone my PC's MAC address, then copied all the 'static' information from winipcfg (IP address, DHCP server, DNS servers, gateway, subnet mask, etc.) and typing it into the 'static IP' option for the router, all to no avail. I can now reach the router fine through both wired and wireless connections, but any and all attempts to get it to work have failed. I tried it both with the original firmwire and the newest version from DLink's website. Calling Rogers only got me a 'well, try releasing the IP address' then a 'we don't support home networks'.

Am I missing a step here? Do I need to type in something under the host name? Do I need to find an IP address for the DHCP server only? Help!

Thanks,

Tim

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
Try turning off both the router and the modem for 2-3 minutes. Then, first turn on the modem, let it go online, then turn on the router a moment later. This should allow the router to get an IP address. This is a procedure I always follow when I can't get an IP address by just renewing it. Works most of the time when there aren't any DHCP issues with Rogers themselves. If this doesn't work, try cloning your MAC address, but leave everything else to still get the info thru DHCP. Rogers does not support static IP's anymore, hasn't for close to a year now.
--
Crunch for Team Discovery!
Also visit www.ihaterogers.ca

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada
reply to hotzet
All you should have to do is clone the MAC address of the old NIC and you will get an IP (should any ways)

Steve
--
18.98Ghz of Cancer killing power commin at yah.

askywalker

join:2002-06-25
Markham, ON
I have rogers and just setup the 614+ 5 minutes ago. Worked flawlessly out of the box. Maybe you have a dud?

nitroman

@shawcable.net
I have the exact same problem. I've also tried everything. Turn both off, then turn on modem then router. Tried turning both off, then turn on router, then turn on modem. Doesn't work. Tried both of above except don't plug in network cable (from WAN port on router to modem) while resetting. Doesn't work. Tried setting host name on router to everything I can think of, even tried setting LAN workgroup to @HOME (used to need that on a PC a few years back). Nothing works. I called D-link support, the guy didn't seem like he wanted to help much so just say I have a dud and exchange it. Did that, the new one is the same thing. I upgraded to firmware 2.0f. Even tried turning off modem overnight to be sure it resets. I'm using Shaw Cable in Canada, should be same problem as your Rogers. I read on some other forums that the Terayon modem has problems with a Linksys router. Could it be that it has problems with DI-614+ as well? Anyone plz help I've tried to get it working for 2 weeks.

Thanks

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
Did you try the MAC Address Clone? Rogers here requires only ONE registered MAC address, Shaw could be doing the same. My Terayon works fine with my Linksys, only after i've cloned the MAC address of my NIC in the router config.
--
Crunch for Team Discovery!
Also visit www.ihaterogers.ca

Nitroman

@shawcable.net
Yes I have tried MAC cloning. Actually I believe SHAW can register more than 1 MAC address (but only 1 at a time of course), because I've tried connecting either of my 2 PC's to the modem and each one of them works, just by resetting the modem. But in any case, thanks for the suggestion, do you have anymore that I can try? So you have a Linksys wireless router? The BEFW11S4? And are you on Shaw or Rogers? If D-link tech supports deems this one to be faulty as well I'm definitely NOT going to get another D-Link. I also tried calling Shaw but they said there's no known problems with their service and any routers, and they don't support home networks :=(

Thanks

Slappy96

@cpe.net.cable.rogers
I have the same situation as mentioned. I have tried to set up the d-link 614+ on the rogers cable system at a friends house. He has the Terayon modem and it isn't serving it an IP address at all. He currently has a Linksys (non-wireless) router set up and working fine. I then took it to my place and set it up. I have an old Lancity cable modem from rogers and it came up instantly. I then took it back and tried it again with the Terayon modem and it failed again. Now the interesting part - I then plugged it into the Linksys and the Linksys served up an address to the D-Link and he was connected (in a very round-about way).
Conclustion: The Terayon modem has some sort of incompadability with the D-Link 614+.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
I recomenned you reset your router to factory settings. Then clone the MAC. Turn off both your modem and router. Turn your modem on, and then turn your router on. Worked with my SMC.
--
Me Use Netscape Seven. I Like, I Like