spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

No_One

@okcyok.swbell.ne
reply to somebodeez

Re: eDonkey and your Linksys Router can be Friends

It has been my understanding that your ID is just a product of your IP address. I can't find the equation anymore but it dealt with taking each of the 4 parts of an IP and multiplying by 256 n times. So some folks such as my self currently have a 9 digit IP address.

Hopefully somebody who has more of a clue than I might shed some light on this.

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
reply to somebodeez
Click for full size
Edonkey is great!!!

reyrey24

join:2002-08-08
Santee, CA
can somebody please help me get edonkey to work

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-24
here
I tried but I really don't know what else to suggest.
I'm sorry : (

djphoenix

join:2001-03-24
Kalispell, MT
sweet I thought E-donkey just sucked didn't even think of my linksys.

tadmaz29

join:2002-05-30
Mount Prospect, IL
reply to somebodeez
If you enable DMZ would that work? I don't feel like getting rid of DHCP right now, since port forwarding could mess things up.

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
I tried that but w/o any luck.
You could try and see what happens, you could always change the settings back if it doesn't work for you.
I would strongly advise using a software firewall while in that mode !

tadmaz29

join:2002-05-30
Mount Prospect, IL
reply to somebodeez
I have...other sources for stuff, so I'm just not going to use Edonkey, problem solved.

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
Cool - whatever works for you

reply to somebodeez
Hi folks!
I've read your questions about low and high IDs.
And here you can find the complete truth about it:
»www.edonkey-faq.de/faq_run.htm#i ··· n.htm#id

As this page is written in german, I will give you a little summary in (quite a poor) english:

low IDs range: 1 - 16777216
high IDs range: 16777217 - 9999999999

So it doesn't matter if you get a 8 digit number (>16777216) or a 10 digit number. They are all the same.

BTW the ID depends on your IP-address. You can calculate it very easy:
Let's assume your IP is a.b.c.d, then your ID is:
a+b*2^8+c*2^16+d*2^24

I hope, this hint will help you

Mike

reply to somebodeez
Well I have a Linksys router BEFSR41 and I did everything that you told me to do and I still get nothing. I open up edonkey and I can't get to their http: homepage let alone connect to the server. I have a static ip address and I opened up the ports just like the description. I haven't been succesful in opening any of the p2p file-sharing programs. That's about all the information I have, if anybody could help me or point me in the right direction to conquering this frustrating router it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

nynjspeed

join:2001-09-10
Howell, NJ
reply to tadmaz29
said by tadmaz:
If you enable DMZ would that work? I don't feel like getting rid of DHCP right now, since port forwarding could mess things up.
running the router in DMZ is probably not the safest way to be on the net...

had this on an earlier post...similar to the FAQ:

»eDonkey + Linksys Router

worked for me and I don't have any problems at all...

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Frustrated user
said by Frustrated user:
Well I have a Linksys router BEFSR41 and I did everything that you told me to do and I still get nothing. I open up edonkey and I can't get to their http: homepage let alone connect to the server. I have a static ip address and I opened up the ports just like the description. I haven't been succesful in opening any of the p2p file-sharing programs.
Hmmm, I am puzzled especially since you've written that you haven't been successful with any P2Ps.
This would lead me to believe that this is not an EDonkey issue or router issue.

Instead, I'm thinking it's either a firewall thing or is it possible your ISP is restricting certain ports???

My ISP is blocking the following ports:
136-139

None of these are file-sharing ports to my knowledge. Using file-sharing programs was working perfectly on AT&T Broadband. I then cancelled that service and moved to a different state. I was using the University of Florida's ethernet connection for awhile (which I know blocks all file sharing ports). I then got a router to connect on to my roomate's COX Cable service. I'm not sure what could be the case, just that all of a sudden I switched broadband connections and I can't use p2p's.

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

ISP blocking certain ports

Kind of weird that your port 80 is blocked....
I'm not sure but don't we need port 80 for the internet???
And I don't see 4661, 4662 on your list of blocked ports which are the ones eDonkey wants.
I am truly puzzled.
You might want to check the official eDonkey forums about this:

»forums.edonkey2000.com/phpBB/ind ··· ndex.php

ZoneAlarm was the problem

I figured it out and it has freed up all of the peer to peer file sharing programs. I used to have zone alarm on my old connection and I removed it from the start menu because I was using dial-up for awhile and it seemed unecessary. So for some reason even though it wasn't actively running, it was blocking all of the ports. All I did was uninstall the program and I was able to do file sharing again. So let that be a lesson

Dandy6

join:2001-12-30
Brooklyn, NY
reply to somebodeez

Re: eDonkey and your Linksys Router can be Friends

Click for full size
How come my Forwarding page look alot different for your screenshots. what am I suppost to do now ?
--
You should always live life happy. The Amazing fact that you are alive makes me happy.

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
Looks like we are using different firmware versions.
Mine is 1.42.7

nynjspeed

join:2001-09-10
Howell, NJ
reply to somebodeez
yep....I have been using 1.39.2 because I haven't had any problems or need to update it.

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by brooklynool1:
yep....I have been using 1.39.2 because I haven't had any problems or need to update it.
VBG - If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Dandy6

Brooklyn, NY
reply to somebodeez
So what do i do ?????

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
In the service port range boxes, type in 4662 and TCP.
Make sure the IP you fill in is the one that is assigned to the computer you have eDonkey on. Click "Apply".

Dandy6

Brooklyn, NY
reply to somebodeez
Will this change increase my speeds ??

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
Maybe
If you're having issues with a low ID number, this should take care of that, which in turn can help with speeds

Dandy6

Brooklyn, NY
reply to somebodeez
ok thx

zimmyandhele

join:2001-11-20
reply to somebodeez
Just as a testament to this setup - I have been using the Donkey for about the last 6 months with no problems, although not blazing speed either. Top end on downloading was around 35-40 if the file was common.

Well, last weekend I lost my ability to download ANYTHING, although I could still connect to servers. People were uploading from me just fine, but my downloads were zero. I don't use bots, I update my server list regularly using Maurice's list, and my settings hadn't changed in months. But, I am behind a Linksys router, which had never been an issue before

So, I spent about an hour last night setting up my local PCs w/static IPs and configured the router for port forwarding, and my Donkey is as happy as a clam now. When I last left it, it was cranking downloads at about ~80-85!

I sure as hell don't understand why it suddenly stopped working, or why port forwarding magically fixed it, but I don't really care at this point...

Maerhyl
Premium
join:2002-07-15
canada
reply to somebodeez
Holly macaroni somebodeez, Thanks a lot man! I dont even have a Linksys router, I have a D-Link and speeds are gone through the roof. Apparently sticking to port 4662 and instructing the router to open ports 4661 to 4663 did it. Got a 10 digit ID and great speeds. I was told before just to set edonket to port 80. It worked but 6 didgit ID and not so great speed. Man this is a dream come true.

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
zimmyandhele and Bjenk - Sweet!

thanksamilli

join:2002-09-12
Lufkin, TX
When I go into my LinkSys router setup and try to port forward, it always asks for a login and password. I have not, to my knowledge, set up one, but I can't get it to accept any changes.

Any help on this?

Thanksamillion!

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
It has a default setting - just ignore the user name and type in "admin" (without the quotes) for the password.
Once you get in, you should really consider changing the password from the default to something else (but don't forget what you changed it to!)