North York, ON

I am ihaterogers.ca

I'm the guy that owns »www.ihaterogers.ca

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

Hey! Hehehe.... good to have you aboard!

ihaterogers7

join:2002-08-05
North York, ON

HiVolt...it's actually because of you that I'm here. I was recently going through the reports for »www.ihaterogers.ca and I noticed that a lot of traffic was coming from the links you were providing in this forum.

I wanted to say thank you and figured I better join up and take part in some of these conversations. So here I am and thank you.
--
Stop complaining and do something about it!

[text was edited by author 2002-08-05 11:33:50]

skillton

join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON

reply to ihaterogers7

Rogers is the best dont hate it!!!

lol jus kiddin DIE ROGERZ!!!
[text was edited by author 2002-08-05 14:46:48]

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium
join:2002-05-06
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, QC
reply to ihaterogers7

nice site ihaterogers. Damn, that's ground cable into the gas meter is hilarious! (well not if it blew up) but the sheer stupidity is amazing.

zedsdead
Premium
join:2000-08-24
Burlington, ON

I've actually seen an Entourage tech for Bell do this before as well, lack of training..

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

reply to ihaterogers7

said by ihaterogers:
HiVolt...it's actually because of you that I'm here. I was recently going through the reports for »www.ihaterogers.ca and I noticed that a lot of traffic was coming from the links you were providing in this forum.

I wanted to say thank you and figured I better join up and take part in some of these conversations. So here I am and thank you.
--

Hehe cool, I think I put the link to your site in my posting signature the day I submitted my rant, hehe... BTW i have some sad news, i can't get DSL at my house, so I'm stuck with !@#$%^& Rogers if I want broadband... I'm not gonna bother with Satellite cuz its expensive and slow.
--
Crunch for Team Discovery!
Also visit www.ihaterogers.ca

ihaterogers7

North York, ON
reply to Bender2000

That ground wire in to the gas is actually a pretty serious infraction. To tell you the truth, I would not have believed someone could be so stupid...but that gas meter is my next door neighbour's and he called me out to show it to me when it happened.
--
Stop complaining and do something about it! I did... »www.ihaterogers.ca

ihaterogers7

North York, ON

reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:
said by ihaterogers:

--

Hehe cool, I think I put the link to your site in my posting signature the day I submitted my rant, hehe... BTW i have some sad news, i can't get DSL at my house, so I'm stuck with !@#$%^& Rogers if I want broadband... I'm not gonna bother with Satellite cuz its expensive and slow.

Hi-Volt, believe me, in no way am I saying cut off your nose to spite your face. ROGERS offers the service you need and no one else does, what can you do? Unfortunately they just don't supply the service & customer service you WANT, if you know what I mean - and I'm pretty sure you do.
--

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to ihaterogers7

i love the i hate rogers site, i'm just stuck with them cause they have all the services i need for $80 a month. It's cheaper than anywhere else. I also like brainless tech support people.
--
Tim Horton's Boston Cream Donut. Mmm Mmm Good.

Frontrunner33

join:2002-06-20
Canada
reply to ihaterogers7

hehe... Welcome man! I've been visiting your site, (using HiVolt's link) and I must say that you've done a great job. I will definitely use the pages for alternatives once Rogers decide to put a cap on their internet service. I've talked it over with my wife, and we'll move all our business (TV and internet) the day the cap goes into effect.
--
I sent my Sympatico HSE in a box to London. Where did you send yours?

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to ihaterogers7

As strange as it may seem, in reality, that ground wire was quite safe. The screw that makes contact with the steel pipe will not penetrate it sufficiently to damage the gas pipe, and since it's solidly connected no spark can be generated.

That said, on GPs, you ground cable to a ground stake or a water pipe or an electrical conduit. You will find your gas pipe grounded to a water pipe somewhere and in your furnace or other applicance to an electrical ground. There is certainly the possibility with an electrical fault in a furnace or gas dryer or gas stove to pass a significant current through the gas pipes *without* any real risk (unless there are any conditions that could generate a spark *within* the pipe and if there is oxygen in the pipe) because of the multiple ground bondings that occur.

I was really quite surprised to learn that they actually pump natural gas with mechanical pumps ... they must go to great lengths to purge the pumps of any air when they are serviced. It's when there's a compressed air / gas mix that they become explosive. Several gas workers have been killed because of their failure to purge. The same thing for propane ... it's why they have to purge your barbeque tanks so carefully.

The gas company responded quickly because they don't like seeing any situations that could even remotely cause problems. You can be sure that there's a bylaw that the gas company has prohibiting using gas pipes as a ground bond, even though it's quite safe.

Stuart

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium
join:2002-05-06
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, QC

there's a reason they dont want gas pipes used as grounds. It can lead to a very serious explosion. No brainer there. The point is, it NEVER should have been done. It is a safety hazard, no matter how safe you suggest it is.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House

reply to sbrook

sbrook, as safe as you might think that it was for the brain dead installer to put that ground strap on the pipe it was horribly stupid.

The big and huge problem with grounding to the outside, near the meter is...get this...the pressure relief valve!

If you look at the picture on the site, between the line in from the gas company and the line out from the gas meter is the pressure relief valve, in the picture if looks like it has a red knob in the center of it.

If the gas company sends too much pressure though the line for the little 1/2 pipe,(line pressure to the meter is diffrent then entering your house) the valve opens and vents the excess gas off. Now, I have seen these things fail, and leak gas all the time. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

At any point where you have a ground, or any type of place where a spark can jump you have the chance for explosion. And wether it be a ground, or a regular electrical line, the electricity always follows the path of least resistance.

Edit: Hail oh creator of "I Hate Rogers.ca!"
[text was edited by author 2002-08-06 15:33:27]

Razoboy

join:2002-06-17
Canada
reply to ihaterogers7

I love yoursite!!! all the way!!

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Mashiki

I agree that it's a stupid thing to do ... but as I said, as long as the ground bond remains sound, there will be no sparks, and a leaking regulator won't make any difference.

In fact it would take a huge leak of gas to create a dangerous situation. It's gas in confinement that is particularly dangerous for explosions and fire.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House

said by sbrook:
I agree that it's a stupid thing to do ... but as I said, as long as the ground bond remains sound, there will be no sparks, and a leaking regulator won't make any difference.

In fact it would take a huge leak of gas to create a dangerous situation. It's gas in confinement that is particularly dangerous for explosions and fire.
Welp see this is the thing right? Unless the guy removed the pain when he put the ground strap on...have you ever seen someone do this? I do, but most idjits don't...it will arc across whatever to a true ground, wether that is the ground it self or not. But...at 25,000 volts, you can get an arc jump of over 4 feet, and the fuel to air ratio for ignition only has to be 10/90% fuel/air to ignite...it doesn't take much. Your more likely to get a surge from a lightening strike then faulty equipment, but the chance is there. And lightening strikes hit up more then 25,000volts. Not counting amps.

If you take a cup of gasoline and pour it onto the ground you can walk five feet away, light a match near the ground...this counting ground slope, and no wind and have ignition.

Stetson$
It's Raining Justice In Iraq
Premium
join:2001-07-13
The Hiway

reply to ihaterogers7

Just popped into your site....and just signed up with a New ISP..LOL!!.. Up To 3.0 meg downs...20 gigs month cap...6 dollars a month more than rogers..Which i have no prob living with Stet ...Thanks Bud

You see my Posting Tag there...Well there are enough friggin idiots out there everyday who sadly try and take that away from me...LOL!!,,,Which,, they fail miserably in their attempts i might ad....

But i really don't like paying someone to do it..Rotflmao!!

Stet
--
If Tomorrow Never Comes...Will She Know How Much I Loved Her??

Count On It..:) Stet

[text was edited by author 2002-08-10 12:26:25]

ihaterogers7

North York, ON

said by Stetson:
Just popped into your site....and just signed up with a New ISP..LOL!!.. Up To 3.0 meg downs...20 gigs month cap...6 dollars a month more than rogers..Which i have no prob living with Stet ...Thanks Bud

My pleasure. That's why I'm there. And feel free to send in a rant if you want to share any ROGERS related experiences - rants@ihateROGERS.ca

--

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

I do enjoy your site as well, but I work for Bell, so I have a good evil laugh at it. BTW, I really love this new addition to your site...
»duketor.freeshell.org/sounds/cablerage.mp3
WARNING! Very extensive use of foul language! DO NOT let the kiddies hear!

And Stet, while I was listening to this, for some reason your picture kept popping up in my head! I don't know why.
--
cmandotca

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

AHAHAHAH that mp3 is hilarious!!!!!!!!

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to ihaterogers7

i think the funniest part was the thank you at the end.
--
...but i need those baskets back!