spc
Search similar:

uniqs
curls
join:2000-12-27
Nepean, ON

curls

Connection __DIES__ when using WinMX/KaZaa

Hey everyone. I have a strange problem that Rogers can't seem to diagnose.

First of all, my speeds are fine (as far as Rogers goes). I get about 1300/180, which is normal considering I live in a populated area. My pings are usually fine (18 ms to gateway) as well. The Rogers tech has checked my lines a few times and found nothing out of the ordinary noise-wise.

My problem occurs when I'm downloading songs/media from multiple people/servers at one time. I can be getting 10 different songs, from 10 separate people, and my speeds will be fine, but all of a sudden without warning, my connection DIES. My modem (Terayon sharkfin) still shows online, but no packets will be received until I power cycle my modem and disconnect/reconnect the NIC connection. The main thing to note is that I'm not being booted off the network because I'm hitting a speed cap -- I'm being booted from the network because it "seems" that the modem cannot handle having over 10-15 ports open at once.

Any light to shed on my problem?

I just had the Rogers tech swap Terayon modems this morning, and the problem still exists.

Keep in mind that I can download from single (or 2-4) servers at once and will NEVER have this problem -- it's only when I'm connection to more than 10 servers/people or thereabouts.

I've run countless tests here and have minimal packet loss (about 2-3%), normal pings, and very good speeds (near the cap limit).

Thanks for ANY help you can provide.
You guys are always infinately more helpful than the retarded Tier 1 and Tier 2 Rogers techs. (don't even try to get me started on how they completely insulted my intelligence -- I'm a 3rd year IS major at Carleton U, and they treated me like I never laid eyes on a computer before, LOL)

Thanks again.
~Eric
neeloy
join:2002-03-08
North Las Vegas, NV

neeloy

After this happens, can you surf the web without rebooting the modem? And is there a certain port that when opened causes this problem?
curls
Nepean, ON

curls

Just tried it again, and this is the ONLY way to get it work reconnect:

1. connection dies during transfers.
2. unplug modem.
3. plug modem back in.
4. while modem is connecting, disable network connection.
5. modem back online, enable network connection.
6. voila, working fine again.

And I'm not sure, but I don't know about the ports. How can I tell for sure?

Thanks
~Eric
neeloy
North Las Vegas, NV

neeloy

Does disabling and enabling the network connection without power cycling the modem help?

Download any number of port scanners from »www.downloads.com and port scan 127.0.0.1
curls
Nepean, ON

curls

No, just dis/enabling the network connection does NOT help.

I'll try the port scanners. Should i be scanning during the download process? What should I look for?

~Eric

PS: This is what the dumbass Rogers tech said during our conversation where he couldn't figure out the problem:
"Maybe its because your Athlon (1.2 GHz) processor cannot handle the load... have you tried using a computer with an Intel processor?" BAAAAAH!! ANGRY!!!!!!
neeloy
North Las Vegas, NV

neeloy

If disabling/enabling your network connection does not do anything then it is probably not related to your computer at all. But then again I find it hard to think of where in the Terayon config it would care how many ports you had open. Unless you are somehow stumbling on to a management port used by the modem and crashing it that way. What OS are you running. Check your port situation, if it opens a certain port right before crashing, try blocking that port on your firewall and see what happens.
curls
Nepean, ON

curls

Running Windows XP Pro.

What ports should I be looking for specifically, because when I'm downloading from many sources over WinMX or KaZaa, there's like 25-50 ports open just for the WinMX or KaZaa program alone. It'd be impossible to pick the specific port that's causing the problems that way.

Anything else I can check? Rogers seems to be blaming my computer for everything. The tech guys' quote: "Athlon -- isn't that made by AMD? Those processors suck, and is likely your problem". ROFLMAO... what retards.

Thanks for the help so far.
~Eric

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to curls

Premium Member

to curls
AMD RULES
curls
Nepean, ON

curls

I know!! Anything to offer in regards to my Rogers-being-retards problem?

corster
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

corster to curls

Premium Member

to curls
2 Options:

Call Rogers when they say "Rogers Technical Support" when they pick up say "Sorry, I thought i was calling some tech people that know what they are doing and arent braindead (click)"

or

Go with DSL
curls
Nepean, ON

curls

DSL sucks even more in this building, trust me on that one... have a friend on the 3rd floor who can't get over 30 kB/sec at anytime, from any server. That is not an option.
neeloy
North Las Vegas, NV

neeloy to curls

to curls
Download Essential NetTools (»www.all-nettools.com/ent3.zip) and on the netstat screen, setup a filter for kazaa.exe and then sort by state, set the refresh rate for 1 sec and watch what happens. When Kazaa is trying to establish a connection, first it will send a SYN packet and then go to the state established. Watch what happens as different ports get opened.

Good luck!
curls
Nepean, ON

curls

I tried something I should have tried a long time ago. I plugged in the modem directly to the main line coming into the apartment. Unhooked every splitter and had ONLY the Terayon hooked up to the single cable outlet. WORKED LIKE A CHARM.

Now, I have to convince Rogers that I need a booster, or a new drop from the box on the ground floor. Tried once today to no avail. They want me to pay $9.95 for a new outlet, although the girl on the phone had no idea if that was simply a split from the current line, or a completely new drop from the main cable box downstairs. ANYONE KNOW? If it's simply a split from the current line, there's no point. Anyone know any good (although inexpensive) amplifiers that will be compatible with cable modem (ie: two-way communication)??

Thanks
~Eric

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Try a SINGLE split ... Rogers modem one side, TV other side. Make sure it's a splitter Rogers gave you ... not some cheap nasty one from the $ store.

Then, if that works, only split the TV side again. Never split the modem side. If TV signals are too weak, put in a booster on the TV side split ... not in the main feed. A two-way booster amp is going to be expensive.

corster
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

corster to curls

Premium Member

to curls
Illistration of sbrooks confusing plan
curls
Nepean, ON

curls

Thanks to both of you! The previous setup I had is: Rogers splitter from main line. One side to modem, other side to another splitter which leads to one Digital Cable tv, and one regular TV. The main splitter is a "good" one from Rogers, (3.5 dB loss on each output), and the tv-only splitter is a cheap one.

The problem still persists if I unhook the tv-only splitter, meaning I'm likely losing too much signal on the FIRST split. I'm going to try a bi-directional splitter today, and if that doesn't work, Rogers is coming here Sunday to put in a new line from the main box in the building.

Thanks again for the help.

~Eric