RagingTurkey
Big-Time Dreams, Small-Time Budget
Premium Member
join:2002-04-19
Victoria, BC

RagingTurkey

Premium Member

2.1, 4.1, 5.1, Dolby Digital?

Alright, I 'sort of' understand how multiple channel audio works, but can someone break it down or give me a link to explain it to me?

I have an older stereo system with some rocking speakers, and I want to hook it up to my new rig (w/ an Audigy Platinum) but I don't know whether the multiple channel stuff will work with my speakers/stereo. It is not a remarkable stereo, just and old basic thing I fixed up with 4 speaker outputs on the back, an RCA Red/White input, 2 tape decks, and a turn table.

Would it be more worth it to get a good set of computer speakers?

How can I balance my speakers? I have 2 in the back that are really tall and powerful, and 2 in the front that are smaller (about 1/3 as tall) and not as powerful. The bigger ones put out more sound than the smaller ones when I connect them all to the same stereo, and it throws off the balance. The tall ones are 42" high, 16-18" wide.

Neogeek
Premium Member
join:2002-05-13
Calabasas, CA

Neogeek

Premium Member

hehe its me again... well if you have an old stereo, unless it was a top of the line stereo when you go it, has dolby pro logic. I am asuming that when you say old, that it is more then 5 years old... well in a soround sound experience, you want the powerfull speakers in the front and the rear less powerfull speakers in the back... but i am asuming that you have a dual stereo connection. if you want to hook it up to you audy, then i suggest you need to get a new stero (receiver/amp) that supports atleast dolby digital.

That is what i have for my setup... since i only have a laptop in my theater room, it is hooked up to an extigy (which is esentialy the same thing) and it is hooked through the optical out into my reciever. I just set it to PCM/Auto on my reciever and it works.

ok thats what you have to do, now for the explination on all them numbers. Sorry i dont have a link but i am sure somone will have it when they read your post.

I will give you an overview... the integer is for how many main speakers that you have (all speakers that could be used by themselves, and still come with satisfactory audio) and the decimal (.1) is for how many subwoofers, of the non direct audio. back in the good ol days, most pc vendors would package two satelites (only for trebs) and a subwoofer. it looked fancy having three boxs and it was cheap.

Then came 4.1 which isnt digita at all, it is still anolog, and that is done by two 2.1's and use the ports in the back of your sound card. That means that you would plug one set of 2.1 for the front range, and the second set of it for the back range. I think that is one way, but now that i am thinking of it, klipshe has 4.1's and they hook into the pc digital slot... its still anolog. .a 4.1 setup is good for gaming but lacks in movie...

now for 5.1 and dobly digital, DTS, and DTS EX... well 5.1 is dolby digtal and DTS (Dolby Digital 5.1 is a higher compression ratio in the audio then DTS does) they use a digital connection from your sound card, or the optical connection. this is the connection that you would hook into your stereo for dolby digital...

DTS EX is just THX sound with the use of 6 speakers a front center, left and right front, left and right back, and a back center, and of course a sub.

Hope this helps.

btw: if you are just looking to hook up your computer to your stereo for music, then just do the (phono-2-RCA) and hook them babys up.

tke711
Premium Member
join:2001-03-31
Everywhere

tke711 to RagingTurkey

Premium Member

to RagingTurkey
For almost anything Dolby related, check out this site.

RagingTurkey
Premium Member
Victoria, BC

RagingTurkey

Premium Member

Does anyone know of any fairly inexpensive recievers that use 5.1, or 4.1? I mean, I will have the capabilities from my Audigy Plat, and I have enough speakers (except for a sub-woofer) but I need a reciever that can take either the Optical or the RCA inputs and supports 4.1/5.1.

Also, will just any speakers work, or do I need to get a new set? Would it be better to stick with my old speakers and assemble a system, or should I shell out the cash and purchase a good 5.1 set of computer speakers? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks all, you've been a great help!

Neogeek
Premium Member
Calabasas, CA

Neogeek to RagingTurkey

Premium Member

to RagingTurkey
hehe go to »www.audioreview.com and look at what people have... what are the make of your speakers... Impedence level... max watage... if they are big and a good brand then they require alot of power... what is the current make of your stereo reciever? if i have that then i can get all the info needed to find you the right specs. although what on earth are you going to be using suround sound for? if it is for gaming then i would have to be a pretty hardcore gamer to sacrifise the dough for a new receiver... if it is just for music, then well i guess if you wanted to listen to your music through optical then that would be alright and reasonable...

I used to use a JVC 6000... it was great... DTS, Prologic I, Dolby Digital, and probly the best remote i have ever seen. I think it was around 400 US at a grey market price... Later on if you really want to make use of those babies... get a Denon which is THX certified, and pro logic II, thats what i have now and i relise what a couple more sustained watts can do...

BTW 4.1 is not supported by recievers, thats just the *cheap* way to get suround... so in your current setup you would have to by a center channel... A good speaker company that sell center channel speakers for a relativly low price is »www.cambridgesoundworks.com there stuff is kick ass.

If it is movies that you want to listen to then i really suggest you get a DVD player for your hometheatre system because unless you have like a 24 inch moniter, the smaller ones arnt nearly as suspense full as the big screen TV's... even those 27 inch TV's are great (I am sure you have bigger)... watching a movie on a crappy screen while listening to a beutiful sound track thats from the movie, just dosnt do justice...

Dont forget to move your speakers to the front if you can to get the real home theatre experience... I know that on most of the systems you can really make the rear channels quiet, and put the front channels up, but it is just not taking full advantage of the system...

Just my two cents!

let us know what model your speakers and reciever is!

RagingTurkey
Premium Member
Victoria, BC

RagingTurkey

Premium Member

My receiver is a Magnavox AS305M 3701 (or thats what is says on the back, under model number)

It is very light, has 2 tape decks, and a record player. It has an RCA White/Red input which I have a Sony Discman connected to. The speakers are as follows:

2 "Marshland Projector" (9"x12"x37")
2 "R&D Speakers" Model Number RD10 (7.5"x8"x15")

Right now I have the marshlands in the back, cause they fit better, but I can just spin my chair around if I want. What kind of speaker placement in relation to myself should I have? Right now, the marshlands are on the floor, and the R&D's are on a desk at about head level when I am sitting down. I have found that a balance between the two sets is roughly 2/3's of the way from the marshlands to the R&D's (closer to the R&D's)

Any help/recommendations would be appreciated!

Neogeek
Premium Member
Calabasas, CA

Neogeek to RagingTurkey

Premium Member

to RagingTurkey
i see says the blind man... sorry just to humour myself before i leave my vacation spot... ok well what you have is one of the all in one packages that has everything eh? well can you seperate the sections into different sections or no? if not then do you mind having a reciever that is not usable? hmm now that i am thinking about it then you would not be able to use your other features on your little console.

The speaker setup is perfect... but are you just gunna use this for your music, or do you plan on listening to just music?

What is inexpensive for you? to me 400 USD is relativly a cheap deal since there are others which cost 5 grand...

Let me know

little by little and before you know it we will have it all figured out.

RagingTurkey
Premium Member
Victoria, BC

RagingTurkey

Premium Member

Well, since I am still a student, 400 US is like saying "Just sign here, here, and here, and then we will legally be able to take your kidney as payment"

"The speaker setup is perfect... but are you just gunna use this for your music, or do you plan on listening to just music?" What the heck are you talking about? If you mean whether I want to use it for everything, or just music, then I am planning on using it for everything. Music, games, TV, the works.

I am not looking for any audiophile-quality stuff yet, just something to get me through

Yeah, its an ancient all-in-one. The front is designed to look like it is a tuner, tape deck, receiver stacked on top of one another, but in actuality it is just one big box.

You say the speaker setup is perfect? But I thought I was supposed to have the bigger speakers in the front?

I would arrange it to have the big ones in the front, but alas, not enough room. I just reorganized everything and without moving heavy furniture that is filled with heavier junk, it won't work.
RagingTurkey

RagingTurkey to Neogeek

Premium Member

to Neogeek
Note: As for your recommendation for getting a DVD player, I am going to be wiring all of the electronics in my room through my new computer (going to get it tomorrow) which has a DVD player, an Audigy Plat, a Geforce 4 4400, and all that great stuff. So I will be able to watch it on the TV screen.