spc
Search similar:

uniqs
SlyM_
join:2002-07-19
Etobicoke, ON

SlyM_

Do any Rogers techs ever post here?

I noticed in the COGECO forum that some of their technicians post there and help out their members with their problems. I've never noticed any people from rogers who post here and I'm wondering if anyone ever has? I think that that would be a helpful and positive thing for this forum too.
Thanks!

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

While that would be great, no Rogers tech has ever posted here. Who knows maybe they have but haven't identified themselves. They know they'd be under fire like crazy, heh.

rAfChOw
Premium Member
join:2001-03-19
Toronto, ON

rAfChOw to SlyM_

Premium Member

to SlyM_
This portrays Rogers' great customer support. They're dying to help us!

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Yeah well i hope they all DIE!

green1074
Premium Member
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON

green1074 to SlyM_

Premium Member

to SlyM_
I can't stand the commercials.
"great customer service"
"we please the customers"
"the customer chooses the time"
"canada's most advanced digital network"
"lightning fast internet connection, so you can download your favorite mp3s"
SlyM_
Etobicoke, ON

SlyM_

Heh i was just wondering about that... I've never had any probs with Rogers or my connection. The connection getting chopped pissed me off since it happened overnight with no notice, but other than that I've had a good experience. I wish they would put more effort into things so that people wouldn't wish "they'd all die".

My uncle was Big ole Ted's accountant for a while and wouldn't say how much he made but that he and his company were filthy rich. They have the potential to make our service amazing and fast but instead they like to be cheap and piss everyone off.

I don't want to beat a dead horse but I thought i'd like to give my opinion since everyone else seems to have already.

rAfChOw
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

rAfChOw

Premium Member

said by Arson87:
Heh i was just wondering about that... I've never had any probs with Rogers or my connection. The connection getting chopped pissed me off since it happened overnight with no notice, but other than that I've had a good experience. I wish they would put more effort into things so that people wouldn't wish "they'd all die".

My uncle was Big ole Ted's accountant for a while and wouldn't say how much he made but that he and his company were filthy rich. They have the potential to make our service amazing and fast but instead they like to be cheap and piss everyone off.

I don't want to beat a dead horse but I thought i'd like to give my opinion since everyone else seems to have already.
I'm not entirely surprised. I don't really care how much money Ted has as long as the service is decent and they treat customers with respect. Isn't Ted Rogers the wealthiest Canadian?

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Nope. Jimmy Pattison. Ever see those billboards with the Pattison sign on top? That's just one of his many companies.

BTW, Rogers techs would have to learn what a computer is before they could post here.

jbcalg
Premium Member
join:2001-10-08
Calgary, AB

jbcalg

Premium Member

jimmy p?
forbes has it as ken thompson at 14.9 $B
»www.forbes.com/2002/05/0 ··· sam.html
(copy/paste link - damn spell checker )
GodSpeed5
join:2001-11-15
York, ON

GodSpeed5 to SlyM_

to SlyM_
Rogers, in my humble opinion has the best customer support I have ever seen. My wait time is only between 30 seconds and 3 minutes tops, and once I talk to them they are people who actually know the system themselves and don't read off a solutions sheet if you tell them that you are an expert user. They know their stuff.
cgrrguyTO
join:2001-09-21
Toronto, ON

cgrrguyTO

Gotta be flame-bait. Was with Rogers for two years, as I had no choice for broadband. Aside from the inconsistent speed and frequent outages, tech support was awful, and i had to wait up to 45 mins. for awful.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to jbcalg

Premium Member

to jbcalg
said by jbcalg:
jimmy p?
forbes has it as ken thompson at 14.9 $B
»www.forbes.com/2002/05/0 ··· sam.html
(copy/paste link - damn spell checker )
Oh yeah! Forgot about ol' Ken Thompson.

rAfChOw
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

rAfChOw to GodSpeed5

Premium Member

to GodSpeed5
said by GodSpeed:
Rogers, in my humble opinion has the best customer support I have ever seen. My wait time is only between 30 seconds and 3 minutes tops, and once I talk to them they are people who actually know the system themselves and don't read off a solutions sheet if you tell them that you are an expert user. They know their stuff.
Are you a comedian or one in a million Rogers customer?

computer tech
@167.1.x.x

computer tech to HiVolt

Anon

to HiVolt
MadTV Fanatic I wouldn't make any verbal threats My friend unless you want legal action.

skillton
join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON

skillton

said by computer tech:
MadTV Fanatic I wouldn't make any verbal threats My friend unless you want legal action.

lol

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to computer tech

Premium Member

to computer tech
said by computer tech:

Hahahah, looky looky what have we here... I guess they do come here, but like I said, they're too chicken to identify themselves... And stop flappin' your upper lip about legal action, and just go back to your headset and recite boring procedures to the poor customers who phone you.

computertech
@167.1.x.x

computertech to SlyM_

Anon

to SlyM_
Too bad I dont work for Rogers. Hahahaha you ass. I am a computer Tech and I see people like you all the time.

"OH I broke my computer cause I am dumb, lets blame someone else"

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Right ... I know you see a good few of those ... but you know a lot of people have a lot of good reasons to be cheesed off when trying to get support from any number of organisations because they don't get the help they understood they were entitled to. Sometimes the organisation doesn't convey well what to expect, but sadly at other times support simply doesn't deliver.

Dealing with some organisations seems to be a real "Mind over Matter" ordeal ... "We don't mind because you (the customer) don't matter".

Now on another matter of your anonymity ...

From your IP ...

Convergys Corporation (NET-CONVERGYS-CMG-167-1)
1400 W 4400 S
Ogden, Utah 84405
US

Netname: CONVERGYS-CMG-167-1
Netblock: 167.1.0.0 - 167.1.255.255

So, you're probably right ... you don't work for Rogers ... or at least you aren't PAID by Rogers, but your employer certainly works for Rogers.
[text was edited by author 2002-08-11 12:55:07]

Computertech
@167.1.x.x

Computertech

Anon

The thing yes your correct there are many times when techs do not go the extra mile for customers. Yes customer service then is not a pleasant experience for the caller. However when something is unsupported like routers, home networks or such its just that unsupported. There are other means to have it fixed.

Also if the computer introduces no items, modem capping and such write the company, don't yell at the tech.

ie. You get gas for your car it sucks and your engine breaks its not the mechanic(whom is trying to help you) fault.

Yes be cheesed. Thats your right.

So you found what by the ip. Wow you know I work at Convergys, exciting..

Krispy1
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
the stix

Krispy1 to SlyM_

Premium Member

to SlyM_
I'm not necessarily defending poor support and I understand there are individuals out there that have no business to be advising anyone, much less a customer, on anything related to computers but I would like to say that dumping on the call center reps is not really all that fair.

Fact is that, much like the annoying retail reps that follow you about a store, they are told to do certain things a certain way and will get in trouble if they stray from their processes. Again, this is not condoning poor support but placing blame on the management versus the poor techs who must listen to you scream at them.

Being in the industry I have seen many examples of poor hiring tactics to begin with (ie: non technical people hiring technical people), poor supervision and training (ie: non technical people supervising and training technical people) and poor call center management (ie: non technical people managing a technical call center).

It's my opinion that if you would like to attempt to change the level of technical support you are receiving then you should write professional letters to the upper upper management describing you dissatisfaction and listing some solutions (my grandma always told me never to complain unless you had a suggestion). Remember that tech support is a hard thing for bean counters to grasp as it doesn't give any tangible monetary return and appears to just keep sucking up money so they do their best to put a tangible figures to the situation by instituting call handle times, supported vs. non-supported items, etc. But the fact remains that if any company receives multiple complaints and risks losing customers they will adjust their processes. I realize many of you are just venting but it would be well worth the time to sit down and compose a professional letter, simply saying 'This sucks' will not suffice.

I help out in the Cogeco forum because I can, because I'm a geek and enjoy my job and because I'm more than aware of the frustrations many of you endure. It's plausible that Roger's employees are strictly prohibited from posting in a public forum and if that's the case a well written letter to management listing the benefits may loosen these policies.

It's difficult to identify yourself and post publicly and it takes a special kind of person to be able to withstand the flames with grace and not embarrass the business while still being honest and helpful. I believe it is these hurdles that discourage many companies from openly letting their employees represent them in such a manner.

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06
J7W 8E4

Bender2000 to Computertech

Premium Member

to Computertech
I like how you brought up this issue of supported vs. nonsupported things such as routers. It brings up an important poing. Whenever there's a problem, many techs will blame a router RIGHT AWAY. Oh it can't be the isp it must be your router. I've seen that before. And it wasn't the router. It is really irritating when a tech asks you to disconnect your router and plug the modem into your ethernet card directly just cause they think it's your router. Despite the fact that the router was not a problem in the past. Many many times, techs won't properly listen to knowledgable customers. I think that is a point that was being made here initially.
[text was edited by author 2002-08-11 16:16:55]

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to Computertech

Mod

to Computertech
said by Computertech:

The thing yes your correct there are many times when techs do not go the extra mile for customers.

I don't expect techs to go "the extra mile" for customers, but I do expect them to go "the first mile" ... and sadly, a number of them don't even go the first quarter mile, because their goal is to take and dismiss as many calls as possible to make their stats look good. I know the game all too well, for I worked in the support centre of a major computer manufacturer.
said by Computertech:

Yes customer service then is not a pleasant experience for the caller. However when something is unsupported like routers, home networks or such its just that unsupported. There are other means to have it fixed.

Absolutely agree. But at the same time there are real problems that are being dismissed by tech support because of unsupported stuff. The answer to that is to ask the customer to "remove the router, remove the firewall" and try it again and call back if it's still a problem. Instead the customer gets "Probably your router. Rogers doesn't support routers. Is there anything else I can help you with ? Thank you for calling Rogers ... goodbye." The customer is left with a "What just happened?" feeling.

Refer a customer to a place he might be able to get help for unsupported problems .. like here. Don't leave him feeling you don't care.
said by Computertech:

Also if the computer introduces no items, modem capping and such write the company, don't yell at the tech.

Rogers techs are the front line to "Contact us". There is no other email way to contact Rogers.
said by Computertech:

ie. You get gas for your car it sucks and your engine breaks its not the mechanic(whom is trying to help you) fault.

But if the mechanic says "Dunno, might be bad gas, take it to the place you bought the gas, bye!" then he hasn't done a good job. He should say "I think it could be bad gas. If it is, you might want to chase the place you bought the gas ... and you might want to let a place they're happy with service the car so you can make a claim."

Dismissing the customer is not good business.
said by Computertech:

So you found what by the ip. Wow you know I work at Convergys, exciting..
So? You post with a chip on your shoulder like it seems we often get when we call Rogers, then you say you don't work for Rogers ... OK ... The circumstantial evidence suggests you provide support for Rogers ... with the same kind of attitude ... let's blame the customer.
sbrook

sbrook to Krispy1

Mod

to Krispy1
said by Lippy:
I'm not necessarily defending poor support and I understand there are individuals out there that have no business to be advising anyone, much less a customer, on anything related to computers but I would like to say that dumping on the call center reps is not really all that fair.
{snip}
It's my opinion that if you would like to attempt to change the level of technical support you are receiving then you should write professional letters to the upper upper management describing you dissatisfaction and listing some solutions (my grandma always told me never to complain unless you had a suggestion). Remember that tech support is a hard thing for bean counters to grasp as it doesn't give any tangible monetary return and appears to just keep sucking up money so they do their best to put a tangible figures to the situation by instituting call handle times, supported vs. non-supported items, etc. But the fact remains that if any company receives multiple complaints and risks losing customers they will adjust their processes. I realize many of you are just venting but it would be well worth the time to sit down and compose a professional letter, simply saying 'This sucks' will not suffice.
{snip}

Lippy, I don't know how Cogeco works, but all electronic communication with Rogers points to one of the support channels, whether by phone, or by mail. All email certainly seems to be filtered through support. Even mail in reply to Rogers management seems to wind its way back through support.

The only way that I haven't tried is with a postage stamp, but it sure looks like that will follow similar paths of filtering.

I absolutely agree "Support stinks" is not a good way to get an answer ... but I think over the last 7 months looking at postings in this and other forums, one gets tired of making constructive complaints when nothing happens when one does. It degenerates to "It sucks".

Even email complaints to support management must go through support personnel ... one has no idea whether one's complaint made it.

Stuart
sbrook

sbrook to Bender2000

Mod

to Bender2000
said by Bender2000:
I like how you brought up this issue of supported vs. nonsupported things such as routers. It brings up an important poing. Whenever there's a problem, many techs will blame a router RIGHT AWAY. Oh it can't be the isp it must be your router. I've seen that before. And it wasn't the router. It is really irritating when a tech asks you to disconnect your router and plug the modem into your ethernet card directly just cause they think it's your router. Despite the fact that the router was not a problem in the past. Many many times, techs won't properly listen to knowledgable customers. I think that is a point that was being made here initially.

As much as you don't like the tech asking you to disconnect a router, or shutdown a firewall, this is a necessary part of the debugging process. There are routers and firewalls that have caused all manner of problems. The other day, I was complaining about my mail program being slow initiating the mail transfer. Suddenly instead of initiating it within a second or two, it was taking 5 and 6 seconds. It wasn't until someone else reported another problem related to an AntiVirus program causing performance issues that I decided to turn off AV and check the timing ... back to 1 sec. It wasn't the mail client at all ... it was the AV program. I've got over 25 years in this business with 2/3 rds of that in real time areas where I should know not to blame the obvious.

The tech has no way of knowing if you are really technically knowledgable, or if you can simply talk the talk.

At the same time, I know a lot of techs will say "It's your router ... thank you for calling " as soon as they hear the word router or home network. And that is wrong.

Stuart

travisc
join:2001-11-09
Uxbridge, ON

travisc to sbrook

to sbrook
Stuart, do some leg work and find out who runs the show in your area. For instance, I know that Earl Dusek is the VP/GM of the Durham/York region, and with some guessing I got his e-mail address, and he took care of a problem for me. Bypassing the CSRs can be easy and rewarding.

Ascension0
Does God Have A God?
join:2002-05-18
Beverly Hills, CA

Ascension0 to SlyM_

to SlyM_
---somewhat of a rant---

After reading this post, I had to reply and display some of my opinions of TS call centers, because there are many misconceptions from the customers side as much as there are on the call center side.

Regarding the training and hiring tactics that companies take on a regular basis is not something to be desired, I must admit, non techs hiring / training techs is something that is an integral part of call centers and will always be because its a business and usually ran by business only oriented people and may not have the specific knowledge.

One misconception I truly hate is that consumers think that a call center agent is a shrink robot able to take the abuse and respond with an indifferent/happy voice but truth of the matter is we are human as well, doing a job, and are there to help you if you act like an adult and speak without trying to make the agent feel like he/she is a *beeping* loser out to piss you off personally, you will usually get above average help, and its too bad, that because of the tactics used by upper management that ALL agents are branded incompetent right off the bat.

I personally am an agent and know many more that go way beyond there support bounderies everyday to help you all. And yes I do know of retards in support centers too and wonder if they need sticky note to remind them how to breathe.

And yes when someone calls me with a big issue that is polite, i will listen and fix it. but when i get someone start off a call cutting me off, swearing at me... trust me i will respect that person as much as he/she respects me and will not go the extra mile to help or try to convince my superiors that we should help this consumer out.

For sure i understand where there coming from, i've seen lots of cases where i know i'd probably have blew a gasket.. but behaving like a pseudo-maniac would not go far.

My point is dont pre-judge the agent until you've spoken to him

Also its funny as i get alot of customers ask me how i do it and if i get really bad customers, and how they could never do whatever i do and this brings me to my 2nd misconception which most of us as agent think that the consumers are there to get freebies any which way they can and have no respect for you as an agent.

Generalizations is a very bad thing, but i got to say , the isp i work for has it together for tech support and training. But still has the "save money philosophy" of any other call centers.

Which brings this up, this is what forces us as techs to restrain and follow pre-approve charts because research shows that it saves money, and if go off-track we get repremanded and may eventually lead to a lay-off and then we look like idiots on the phones.

I personally dont do this, so i risk my job each day, as many others do. But if your really good and fix it fast they refrain from handing out there 2for1 acknolegdements for not fixing probs inside a certain timerframe.

Ah well.. i could write a book.. there are 3 types of agents.. the morons, the hands tied behind your back agent, and the few risk takers.

-asc-
SlyM_
Etobicoke, ON

SlyM_

I agree with Sweet And Full Of Grace, the phone tech's are people too. I always get through instantly for some reason which helps I guess. And I'm always polite and friendly. Once the girl i was talking to asked me why I was using soo much upload bandwidth, and asked me if i was "one of those IRC guys?". Cause she was never finding anything off of kazaa and she wanted a better place to go. I told her and she was cool cause i was cool with her. Heh, i hope she didn't get fired if the call was monitored though.
My friend has phoned up rogers tech support and been a prick, and got no help at all. It goes to show ya...
Expand your moderator at work

Ascension0
Does God Have A God?
join:2002-05-18
Beverly Hills, CA

Ascension0

Re: Do any Rogers techs ever post here?

For the unsupported issue, i agree with you to a certain point, i dont mind helping in a general sense of word and i know most routers are the same, but there are too many models out there and too many ways to configure them to help a member out effeciently, i guess call centers dont support them because its either you support all routers or none, and i dont think any isp out there are willing to be that picky to choose there techs solely on there router experience and/or invest money to have all the techs familiarized with them.

-asc-

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

At work, Bell was helpful enough to help me with Router problems... At the time they told me that they did not support Routers, but they suggested a Nexland router. Even though they said that, the tech tried to help me out, going thru settings in the different routers (he knew what was going on) and we just couldnt get it to authenticate PPPoE. We bought a Nexland, and it worked right away. Of course at work we have the business DSL, but regardless, they could have just blown me off.