All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jax0n6
join:2001-01-15
Mississauga, ON

jax0n6

Is there a better cable ISP in the 416/905 area?

Im currently on Rogers and ever since the cap, i dont really like my new speeds. I was wondering, are alot of people switching to faster cable ISPs now? If so, which ISP is good and can be installed in the Toronto area?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Sorry dude, Rogers has a cable internet monopoly in the GTA... I'm stuck with Rogers myself for broadband, no DSL available for me... They can do whatever they please (reduce speeds, raise prices) and get away with it because they have no cable internet competition, and for people like me there is no other alternative, so i have to take it up the @$$ if i want broadband, heh....

travisc
join:2001-11-09
Uxbridge, ON

travisc to jax0n6

to jax0n6
You could always move to another cable provider's territory...

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to jax0n6

Premium Member

to jax0n6

Re: Is there a better cable ISP in the 416/905 are

A lot of Rogers users, including myself, are going DSL. There are many offering 3MB/640K service now.

Go check it out at »www.canadianisp.com for a selection. I am going with IGS myself.

Steele Raine
@cpe.net.cable.rogers

Steele Raine to jax0n6

Anon

to jax0n6
I'm also in Toronto and I think Rogers is it for cable. As for DSL I've heard good things about iStop:

»www.istop.com/residential.html

The seperate 5 hour morning window seems ideal to let p2p apps run: 100KB upload would be nice for sharing.

Off topic: I found this group on Google when looking for other peoples upload rates: When I used to live at Yonge + Finch last year with a LanCity I'd get 35-40KB/s upload... and now I measure my Terayon here at Yonge + Eglinton and can't ever go over almost exactly 15KB/s. I've measured it at various times and I do not think its a matter of other traffic in my neighborhood. Anybody else notice this?

Thanks

Clipper
join:2002-05-23
Stoney Creek, ON

Clipper to jax0n6

to jax0n6

Re: Is there a better cable ISP in the 416/905 area?

said by jax0n:
Im currently on Rogers and ever since the cap, i dont really like my new speeds. I was wondering, are alot of people switching to faster cable ISPs now? If so, which ISP is good and can be installed in the Toronto area?
You can't swich Cable ISP's. cable companies have areas that they control by CRTC regulations and no other cable company can offer services there. I work for a cable company, and spoke to a woman the other day who said she knows she can switch to rogers cable for her internet from us. I objected about it and told her that its impossible for her to do so, but she insisted, so I stopped the issue. It was pretty funny.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Clipper:

You can't swich Cable ISP's. cable companies have areas that they control by CRTC regulations and no other cable company can offer services there. I work for a cable company, and spoke to a woman the other day who said she knows she can switch to rogers cable for her internet from us. I objected about it and told her that its impossible for her to do so, but she insisted, so I stopped the issue. It was pretty funny.
I was under the impression that the CRTC regulates that Rogers (or whoever owns the lines and the network) has to make its services available to independent ISP's. Just like Bell & DSL providers. The thing is, no ISP's want to provide cable internet, they'd rather deal with DSL cuz its cheaper and more profitable for them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Re: Is there a better cable ISP in the 416/905 are

Not far off ... not to mention the fact that Rogers has apparently set quite high rates for connection to the "last mile" (i.e. from the phub to the customer)

Of course, then there's the problem that unless they install different modems to work on different frequencies on the back link, or use say TeraPro's instead of DOCSIS, you'd have to run to the same Rogers CMTS and be routed off from the first Rogers router ... so all you'd be changing is your path to the network. Not much advantage ... rather like lots of Nexxia resellers.

Stuart

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt

Re: Is there a better cable ISP in the 416/905 area?

thats what i thought to hivolt

Clipper
join:2002-05-23
Stoney Creek, ON

Clipper to HiVolt

to HiVolt
You are correct actually, it was an oversight on my part. Ive actually explained about this before. But you are right, it is very expensive and most companies don't want to undertake it, however, I do know of 3 companies that resell cable internet, but its not in the 416/905 area.