join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elusion

Re: Rogers spying?

Daemons like this invariably come with shareware / freeware. It's how the shareware writer/distributor makes money. One of my kids installed BearShare, and along with it came not one but TWO daemons that a) tracked internet use, and b) threw up popups all over the place. They got removed very quickly. It remains to be seen whether BearShare still works!!!

Stuart

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Has someone actually verified that this tracking daemon appears only after you install the Rogers software? I myself have never installed any @Home or Rogers software in the past, and I haven't had any problems like that.
--
Crunch for Team Discovery!
Also visit www.ihaterogers.ca and The MADtv Forum

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

Well, I got the Ericsson piperider CD which I put in for grins. It is only needed if you're connecting by USB port to the modem. I looked at the manuals and that was it. Nothing was loaded onto my system.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by sbrook:
Well, I got the Ericsson piperider CD which I put in for grins. It is only needed if you're connecting by USB port to the modem. I looked at the manuals and that was it. Nothing was loaded onto my system.
I was referring to their setup package, which installs a customized browser, media plugins, etc... Sorta like @Home had. I wonder any part of that install sets up the tracking daemon.
--

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

Never got either ... I signed on just as @home was going bye bye and Rogers was implementing @rogers.com Originally I got the Terayon modem in a docsis box and power supply and ethernet cable and a bad instruction manual and a copy of the EUA and workorder, and passwords that didn't work for anything! That took some sorting out with Customer Circus!

When they swapped for a piperider, got the cables and the modem, powersupply and an Ericsson CD.

Stuart

skillton

join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON
reply to Gongster

said by akiclan:
I ran a sniffing program on thier network and I couldn't help noticing that their main servers log the sites I have been visiting. In the log file of the sniffer it showed every single IP address that I have connected to in the past week even CS server IPs! I know what toronto2001 means about the daemon. It is installed by the firmware in the modem to track what sites you have visited and sends it to rogers. I believe it is called a track daemon or something along those lines. All I say is that ur being watched. Even with the tracking daemon disabled they still log what IPs you connect to. I'll post the log file if you wish.
so lemme get this strait... ur saying the firmware in the modem installs a program on ur computer?
if dats what ur sayin then in sorrry to say this but ur prolly retarded... because even if wat ur sayin was possible rogers wouldn't be dumb enuff to do it... they'd get sued big time... its against the law...

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Hah no way its in the firmware of the modem... He installed some freeware proggy off the net and it installed the tracker... It happens all the time.

What I want to know is if there are any parts on the Rogers setup CD that might contain spyware, 3rd party stuff that Rogers puts on their CD, and they might not even know themselves about it...
--

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House
reply to toronto20012

Start->Search

Put in the search box:
Daemon.*

Make sure that searching hidden and all folders is selected. When the file(s) is found right click on the file and goto Properties.
There should be some tabs across the top, depending on OS. In NT you should have atleast one called Version. Just click though the information and it should tell you who manufactured it.

More the likely it's some type of program that's been installed simiar to HiVolt's statement. The funny thing is, and I do wish I had a copy of Rogers setup CD I never did get one when I got online with them.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to toronto20012

The rogers proxy was tracking the sites you visited.

ryguy$
He Wants That Donut

join:2002-08-21
Thornhill, ON
reply to sbrook

Why would rogers like t spy on us??? what so they can see if were goin on "special" sites. what are they parents, teachers?

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC

said by ryguy:
Why would rogers like t spy on us??? what so they can see if were goin on "special" sites. what are they parents, teachers?
No, the proxy (which i disabled on your computer yesterday) tracks sites that you visit and make them load faster, but rogers doen't setup a proxy right.
--
First I was afraid, I had Sympatico, I kept thinking that I was gonna die, but I grew up and I got rogers and now I know, I will survive!