how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Wizuriel9

join:2002-07-30
Toronto, ON

rogers and p2p

I've been looking and i learnt that some isp can block ports and manage to slow down p2p/ftp programs. I know when i use IE i can get download speeds between 100-150 however using any p2p/ftp program my I never get above 10kb/s (even when connected to a t1 user), i've also noticed my line quality, ping skyrocket as soon as i turn on p2p and my speeds go way down (speed test here gave me a 38). does rogers mess with p2p programs?
1) »monitor.dslreports.com/tweak/blo···a=normal normal
1) »monitor.dslreports.com/tweak/blo···a=normal with a p2p program on
2) »/speedtests/10···720903/1 normal
2) »/speedtests/36···882626/1 p2p on
3) »/quality/nil/839786 normal
3) &»/quality/nil/841359 p2p on (didn't even work right with p2p on)

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

I download fine from Grokster (Kazaa clone) i get fast speeds if the person is fast enough and doesnt limit his bandwidth. People are also able to download from me at the top speed of 22KB/sec. I don't think Rogers would do any port throttling, they will be implementing monthly caps in the near future anyway... Then they'll just happily charge you for going over the limit.
--
Crunch for Team Discovery!
Also visit www.ihaterogers.ca and The MADtv Forum

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House
reply to Wizuriel9

Hi-Volt's got some good points. Some things you can try are downloading files via FTP that are on a OC48 or higher connection like ftp.cdrom.com or somthing else that's on a big pipe.

Also, you could try switching your incomeing and outgoing ports in the programs options. Wether the program supports it.
--
Balance in all things. Otherwise, how can you tell the good from bad?

Wizuriel9

Toronto, ON

quote:
Also, you could try switching your incoming and outgoing ports in the programs options. Wether the program supports it.
i don't think any offer you that much control, is something wrong with my connection then because just opening some p2p programs kills my connection and my speeds are worse than some 56k modems (and ftp doesn't seem to be much better).

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada
reply to Wizuriel9

You say the speeds are lower and the ping times are worse. Are you downloading /uploading? If so what would you expect? If you connection is in use the speeds will be lower and the pings higher.

As for port throttling I have a feeling they are doing some.

Steve
--
18.98Ghz of Cancer killing power commin at yah.

Wizuriel9

Toronto, ON
reply to Wizuriel9

I know my speeds are lower and my connection speed and ping will change from normal but i DON'T think they should change that much espically considering the results of the downloads in a p2p program (I've asked people espically in direct connect and most say my speeds are one of there lowest uploads). is there any way to check if rogers is throttling (tried calling but they wouldn't give me a straight answer about p2p)?

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada

said by Wizuriel:
I know my speeds are lower and my connection speed and ping will change from normal but i DON'T think they should change that much espically considering the results of the downloads in a p2p program (I've asked people espically in direct connect and most say my speeds are one of there lowest uploads). is there any way to check if rogers is throttling (tried calling but they wouldn't give me a straight answer about p2p)?
I've done some looking around and have called rogers but I don't know yet if they are or are not for sure yet

Steve
--
18.98Ghz of Cancer killing power commin at yah.

mau108
Mau
Premium
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON
reply to Wizuriel9

im running rogers, with kazaa lite and downloads above 100kb most of the time (if the other side has a clean fast connection).
--
...:::M.A.U.1.0.8:::...

elusion
Premium
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON

reply to Wizuriel9

I get great connections with p2p, namely blubster, morpheus and kazaa, connections at 50 kb, I have downloaded at speeds of 145 kb on kazaa since the caps, so I don't think they are throttling.
Welcome back mau, it's been a long time, shouldn't left us, without a dope post to reply to, reply to...
[text was edited by author 2002-09-02 19:20:01]

mau108
Mau
Premium
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON
reply to Wizuriel9

lol
aite green
id never leave dslr

just had been busy for the summer..

BACK TO SKOOL NOW