Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to BliZZardX

Premium Member

to BliZZardX

Re: rogers caps

said by zInfinity_:
What's this "Rogers Business Solutions"? Are they trying to impersonate another Sympatico High-speed Ultra package?? AHHHHHHH! My life is ruined!
It's exactly what it sounds like, Cable internet for businesses... Same stuff Bell is doing... If your address is zoned commercial, they won't install the residential service, they force you to sign up for the business package, which is the same bloody technology and infrastructure. Just a higher price, just because. go figure eh?

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

BliZZardX

Premium Member

lol... good to know!

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver to HiVolt

to HiVolt
And even if you sign up with the business package, Rogers can't/won't give you a static IP. Which makes it extremely USELESS for business if you ask me!

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by MacGyver24:
And even if you sign up with the business package, Rogers can't/won't give you a static IP. Which makes it extremely USELESS for business if you ask me!

Because its not really "business" class connection anyway... Its just a way for them to charge more money, for the same crappy service they have for residential... It's always been this way. Heh i wonder if they even allow servers.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver

Well I am going to find out next week. Currently my office is using a wireless broadband connection, but the ISP is incompetent because they have been dealing with a DoS attack for something like 8 months and it brings all the customer's connections down every time it happens. We can't do business like this anymore, and Bell isn't close enough for DSL. I wish we could get Bell, our uptime in the last three years in Toronto has been better than 99.9%.

Rogers dropped by last week and while they still don't have static IP's, they do have some sort of DNS service which resolves to your dynamic IP. I know it sounds hokey, and I know how pathetic Rogers is, but we are getting desperate for reliable service.

Next week, myself and our corporate systems manager will get on a conference call with some Rogers business rep who I have the number for and ask all sorts of hard questions about the service. Among the questions are:

Transfer speeds up and down
Cost
any charges for bandwidth usage
how quickly is the DNS server updated if our IP changes
How quickly can the service be installed
Do they allow servers (I can't see how the answer could be no, but you never know)
latency
Uptime/reliability guarantee - this is a biggie

Any other questions that people want me to ask? I'll post the results of the conference call here.

ryguy$
He Wants That Donut
join:2002-08-21
Thornhill, ON

ryguy$

In response to Mau,
Im on Rogers Lite but i run pretty fast on kazaa and stuff

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by ryguy:
In response to Mau,
I ran a speed test for you ryguy, and you were at 97 kbps, i was at 100 kbps. Sorry Mau.
Mundane
join:2002-09-03
East York, ON

Mundane to MacGyver

to MacGyver
I used to have rogers business solution at my office, they promised the world, super fast with thier business network, a lot of IT buzzwords and phrases. Thier service sucked so bad. The tech rep said that servers where OK, then sent me an email saying that servers violated thier EUL. Remove the server immediatly... (by the way, it was a back up FTP server, unused, and scanned port 21). The also blocked "non-rogers" pop3 mail accounts. If you don't use their web hosting, you'll end up with serious delays in your email. I switched to AT&T ADSL. It's a 4meg line, and they quoted me a 50 GB transfer/month for the same price as Rogers. Came with a Cisco 827 router. For the last 4 months the system has been rock solid, on 24/7 and has not crashed once. BTW, their tech support is awsome. try saying that about rogers....ever!

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON

mau108 to corster

Premium Member

to corster
said by CorSter:
said by ryguy:
In response to Mau,
I ran a speed test for you ryguy, and you were at 97 kbps, i was at 100 kbps. Sorry Mau.

lol

I didnt know you guys were on Kazaa lite...
crap
well im on the normal one, getting 1400/140 and up speeds.