sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to green1074

Mod

to green1074

Re: Rogers spying?

Daemons like this invariably come with shareware / freeware. It's how the shareware writer/distributor makes money. One of my kids installed BearShare, and along with it came not one but TWO daemons that a) tracked internet use, and b) threw up popups all over the place. They got removed very quickly. It remains to be seen whether BearShare still works!!!

Stuart

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Has someone actually verified that this tracking daemon appears only after you install the Rogers software? I myself have never installed any @Home or Rogers software in the past, and I haven't had any problems like that.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Well, I got the Ericsson piperider CD which I put in for grins. It is only needed if you're connecting by USB port to the modem. I looked at the manuals and that was it. Nothing was loaded onto my system.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by sbrook:
Well, I got the Ericsson piperider CD which I put in for grins. It is only needed if you're connecting by USB port to the modem. I looked at the manuals and that was it. Nothing was loaded onto my system.
I was referring to their setup package, which installs a customized browser, media plugins, etc... Sorta like @Home had. I wonder any part of that install sets up the tracking daemon.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Never got either ... I signed on just as @home was going bye bye and Rogers was implementing @rogers.com Originally I got the Terayon modem in a docsis box and power supply and ethernet cable and a bad instruction manual and a copy of the EUA and workorder, and passwords that didn't work for anything! That took some sorting out with Customer Circus!

When they swapped for a piperider, got the cables and the modem, powersupply and an Ericsson CD.

Stuart

ryguy$
He Wants That Donut
join:2002-08-21
Thornhill, ON

ryguy$ to sbrook

to sbrook
Why would rogers like t spy on us??? what so they can see if were goin on "special" sites. what are they parents, teachers?

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by ryguy:
Why would rogers like t spy on us??? what so they can see if were goin on "special" sites. what are they parents, teachers?
No, the proxy (which i disabled on your computer yesterday) tracks sites that you visit and make them load faster, but rogers doen't setup a proxy right.