spc
uniqs
Frontrunner33
join:2002-06-20
Canada

Frontrunner33 to HiVolt

to HiVolt

Killing telemarketers

Not really about Rogers... but how to kill telemarketers without wasting time talking to them.

A month ago I got bombarded with calls from some telemarketer. I never bothered to pick up since I hate these people and I needed my sleep, (if it was important, they would leave a message) but they continued their calls. (at worst, every 30 minutes!)

I got mighty pissed... So, I figured out that if I put my answering machine to pick up on the second ring, (since their computer hanged up after three rings) their computer would connect a live operator to it, and finally they would give up on calling me. I put the ring signals to zero on all phones, and had my sleep.

Sure as hell, they continued... my answering machine picked up, their computer connected it to a live operator, they hanged up. The funny thing is that they had to pay a couple of cents for each call. (they called from somewhere in Alberta)

This continued for seven days... (~10-15 calls a day) then they took me off their calling list. It have been rather quiet since.

Why didn't I just pick up and asked them to take me off their list? 1) I don't want to talk to these jerks. 2) I wanted them to lose time AND money on calling me.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Telemarketing should be freakin illegal. Or they should at LEAST be required by law to show proper Caller ID information, showing that it is a call from a telemarketing firm. 95% of them that call my house have blocked or private numbers, or just numbers display with no names... Pisses me off... And especially Rogers with this ridiculous call!

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to Frontrunner33

Premium Member

to Frontrunner33
There is a product called the Telezapper which intercepts these calls and tells the computer that your number is not in service! I think Zellers and Telephone Booth carry it.
Frontrunner33
join:2002-06-20
Canada

Frontrunner33 to HiVolt

to HiVolt
I was once told by a telecom lady that some of these calls that doesn't show Caller ID info is made by companies who are doing their calls over VoIP. (Voice over IP) But I do agree with you... it should be illegal to do marketing without revealing who they are.
Frontrunner33

Frontrunner33 to shaner

to shaner
Yeah, I've seen the commercial for Telezapper, but I don't want to spend money on buying it.

On another note... a friend sent me this link the other week after I told him my story:

»www.antitelemarketer.com/

There's some good stuff there. Among them gadgets working much like the Telezapper.
Frontrunner33

Frontrunner33 to HiVolt

to HiVolt
Sorry for spamming, but here's a page with more detailed answer to the question why their phone number doesn't show up:

»www.antitelemarketer.com ··· alls.htm