Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Frontrunner33

join:2002-06-20
Canada
reply to HiVolt

Killing telemarketers

Not really about Rogers... but how to kill telemarketers without wasting time talking to them.

A month ago I got bombarded with calls from some telemarketer. I never bothered to pick up since I hate these people and I needed my sleep, (if it was important, they would leave a message) but they continued their calls. (at worst, every 30 minutes!)

I got mighty pissed... So, I figured out that if I put my answering machine to pick up on the second ring, (since their computer hanged up after three rings) their computer would connect a live operator to it, and finally they would give up on calling me. I put the ring signals to zero on all phones, and had my sleep.

Sure as hell, they continued... my answering machine picked up, their computer connected it to a live operator, they hanged up. The funny thing is that they had to pay a couple of cents for each call. (they called from somewhere in Alberta)

This continued for seven days... (~10-15 calls a day) then they took me off their calling list. It have been rather quiet since.

Why didn't I just pick up and asked them to take me off their list? 1) I don't want to talk to these jerks. 2) I wanted them to lose time AND money on calling me.
--
I sent my Sympatico HSE in a box to London. Where did you send yours?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Telemarketing should be freakin illegal. Or they should at LEAST be required by law to show proper Caller ID information, showing that it is a call from a telemarketing firm. 95% of them that call my house have blocked or private numbers, or just numbers display with no names... Pisses me off... And especially Rogers with this ridiculous call!
--
Crunch for Team Discovery!
Also visit www.ihaterogers.ca and The MADtv Forum

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to Frontrunner33

There is a product called the Telezapper which intercepts these calls and tells the computer that your number is not in service! I think Zellers and Telephone Booth carry it.
--
cmandotca

Frontrunner33

Canada
reply to HiVolt

I was once told by a telecom lady that some of these calls that doesn't show Caller ID info is made by companies who are doing their calls over VoIP. (Voice over IP) But I do agree with you... it should be illegal to do marketing without revealing who they are.

Frontrunner33

Canada
reply to shaner

Yeah, I've seen the commercial for Telezapper, but I don't want to spend money on buying it.

On another note... a friend sent me this link the other week after I told him my story:

»www.antitelemarketer.com/

There's some good stuff there. Among them gadgets working much like the Telezapper.

Frontrunner33

Canada
reply to HiVolt

Sorry for spamming, but here's a page with more detailed answer to the question why their phone number doesn't show up:

»www.antitelemarketer.com/hang_up_calls.htm