uniqs

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

DKS

Report of RBUA's Seventh Meeting with Rogers

The Residential Broadband Users Assn. has met again with Rogers senior management. Questions on servers, bit caps, customer support, DOCSIS rollout and many other items were on the agenda. You can read the full report here.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

The sheer disregard and arrogance for the RBUA and the customer by Rogers is just astounding. The lack of understanding on the part of Rogers on the questions the RBUA asked (they did have the questions before didn't they?) is absolutely mind blowing. Clearly this meeting was a token gesture on the part of Rogers who take the RBUA as little more than a nuisance than anything else!

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Wow. More reasons to hate Rogers.
quote:
*byte caps could be either lower or higher than Bell's existing caps
*Rogers chose not to notify their customers of the throttling at any time, due to their belief that it would be challenging for the majority of their customers (i.e. unsophisticated users) to comprehend the rate reductions; Rogers feels this constitutes not only a reasonable, but superb level of customer service

sbrook said it best....:{:(

Bob Carrick

join:2000-04-24
New York, NY

Bob Carrick to DKS

to DKS
Did you read some of the crap that comes out of Rogers executives mouths? 0 people have dropped Rogers do to the speed throttling. What a crock I can point to dozens of posts all over the internet of people who have left Rogers for exactly that reason. Or the comment that data caps could be bigger or smaller then Sympatico's. Duh, who was the idiot who said that, like no one know they could be one or the other.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

I think that they left the option that the caps could be smaller is a scary proposition. But, you're right Bob. Too many accountants, not enough CSR's on the board.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
Jeez, their answers are totally ridiculous... I don't think even Bell is that ignorant towards their users, even though they introduced monthly transfer caps a couple months ago. Honestly it'll be a hard decision for me to make once these new changes come into play in the new year... I hope DSL will become available at my house by then, but I somehow doubt it.

silentfury
join:2002-06-18
Toronto

silentfury to DKS

to DKS
My apologies on the lateness of the report. I inadvertently took the stuff Chris needed to write the report away with me on vacation.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Fergal, It hardly matters, because Rogers continues in its policy of "Mind over Matter" - Rogers doesn't mind because the Customer doesn't matter!

I am reminded of a story I heard many years ago ...

The analysts and programmers got together as they pored over the design documents for a new project and decided it was so bad they'd go to their manager and in no uncertain words told him that the project was a crock of sh** and stunk the place out.

The manager got together with the division manager, and said we've got a problem, this project is pretty sh**ty and if something isn't done will make our name stink in our area.

The division manager got together with the general manager and said we've got this problem capped ... it looked as if it was going to make us look like smelly effluent, but we've got it in hand.

The general manager got with the Chairman and CEO and said you know this project has been turned around as if given a batch of wonderful natural fertilizer and will do wonders for our company.

The Chairman and CEO looked down upon his company and new product and saw that it was good.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki to silentfury

to silentfury
said by silentfury:
My apologies on the lateness of the report. I inadvertently took the stuff Chris needed to write the report away with me on vacation.

Nice of you to post it regardless, but all I can say is. Nice to know you rogers, but your not the only game in town. As such, as soon as I can leave I'm gone.
Seif178
join:2002-05-13
Canada

Seif178 to DKS

to DKS
An even slower service?
roflmao...
rwbucs01
join:2002-04-01
York, ON

rwbucs01

What is the point of faster speeds if they are unattainable in practise? I am moving to sympat ultra hoping for (at least) speeds i enjoyed before caps at rogers combined with steady state speed delivery -if sympat doesnt work as wanted I will go to smaller Isps.
Ultimately for me the kicker was the attitude of rogers to their customers revealed in the Rbua meeting notes -id take less for the same price rather than pay these guys for their steadily eroding product.
Kabdel
join:2002-02-07
Canada

Kabdel

Its brutal how they said that the bitcaps could be higher or lower... If rogers were planning on making them higher or equal to bell's, they would of said at least equal to or higher then bell's.... I have a gut feeling that we will be getting a 5/1 bit cap.
sonicool
join:2002-07-02
North York, ON

sonicool

If they have a cap lower than 15/15, i must switch out of them, because . (-_-) . If i know that they will make 5/1 cap, most users will switch to other companies for sure...If i have no other choices, I will go back to some decent dialup!

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

BliZZardX to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
Oh god!

If the data caps are lower than Sympatico's, NO ONE WILL EVER SEE ME AGAIN! ... Or at least not on the internet

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Yeah no kidding... If its something ridiculous like 5/1 I'm a goner... I will not pay $50 per month for such BS... Right now after the speed throttling, Rogers providers a service worse than Sympatico's, so if the caps are lower, seeya!

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
Hmmm, I never went out to do the work, but as far as I know the only ISPs in my area are offered by Rogers & Sympaticap.

Any other DSL ISPs across the GTA?

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Plenty of DSL ISP's in the GTA... just go on »www.canadianisp.com and do a search... If your number is available for Sympatico DSL, most of the independent DSL providers should be able to provide you with service, they all use Bell Nexxia's facilities.
xeno Julios
join:2002-08-28

xeno Julios to DKS

to DKS
for gamers, DSL can be a hit and miss (so can cable, but in a different way) - due to the latency between user and gateway being dependent on proximity to neighbourhood hub or something.

Are there any DSL providers that you are likely to get a stable sub 10ms ping to your gateway regardless of locationin toronto?

Bob Carrick

New York, NY

Bob Carrick

No, probably not, I do not know anyone that has less then a 10 ms ping to their first hop, Maybe but can't think of any off the top of my head. I have around a 12 ms stable ping to my first hop. But less then ten I don't know how possible that is.
xeno Julios

xeno Julios

it's funny - in places like new york, there are incredible DSL services with 1-5ms first hops.

Bob Carrick

New York, NY

Bob Carrick

I'd love to see that, as I just don't believe it and I lived in the US for a year.
xeno Julios

xeno Julios

I have a number of friends in new york city who i practice quake3 with, and are on some form of DSL.

Speakeasy has an excellent reputation for gaming connections (www.speakeasy.net), and they host a multitude of competitive quake3 (and rtcw i think) servers that are used in many online leagues and tournies - i've msged a few friends on irc asking them for names of their providers. I'll try to get screenies of some pingplotter traceroutes if possible and link them here.

Not only that, but I've worked at cyber cafes that have DSL, and the pings were phenomenal - and that was in toronto.
xeno Julios

xeno Julios

optimum online - »www.optimumonline.com/ is one of them i think.
xeno Julios

xeno Julios

my bad - optimusonline is cable. But there are DSL providers out there that give users great pings, and i think it's irrespective of location. Will look into it further

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
i might consider leaving rogers if the cap is like .9/.9 gb or lower for lite.