dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Frustrated user to somebodeez

Anon

to somebodeez

Re: eDonkey and your Linksys Router can be Friends

Well I have a Linksys router BEFSR41 and I did everything that you told me to do and I still get nothing. I open up edonkey and I can't get to their http: homepage let alone connect to the server. I have a static ip address and I opened up the ports just like the description. I haven't been succesful in opening any of the p2p file-sharing programs. That's about all the information I have, if anybody could help me or point me in the right direction to conquering this frustrating router it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

somebodeez
MVM
join:2001-09-24
here

somebodeez

MVM

said by Frustrated user:
Well I have a Linksys router BEFSR41 and I did everything that you told me to do and I still get nothing. I open up edonkey and I can't get to their http: homepage let alone connect to the server. I have a static ip address and I opened up the ports just like the description. I haven't been succesful in opening any of the p2p file-sharing programs.
Hmmm, I am puzzled especially since you've written that you haven't been successful with any P2Ps.
This would lead me to believe that this is not an EDonkey issue or router issue.

Instead, I'm thinking it's either a firewall thing or is it possible your ISP is restricting certain ports???

frustrated user

Anon

My ISP is blocking the following ports:
136-139

None of these are file-sharing ports to my knowledge. Using file-sharing programs was working perfectly on AT&T Broadband. I then cancelled that service and moved to a different state. I was using the University of Florida's ethernet connection for awhile (which I know blocks all file sharing ports). I then got a router to connect on to my roomate's COX Cable service. I'm not sure what could be the case, just that all of a sudden I switched broadband connections and I can't use p2p's.

somebodeez
MVM
join:2001-09-24
here

somebodeez

MVM

ISP blocking certain ports

Kind of weird that your port 80 is blocked....
I'm not sure but don't we need port 80 for the internet???
And I don't see 4661, 4662 on your list of blocked ports which are the ones eDonkey wants.
I am truly puzzled.
You might want to check the official eDonkey forums about this:

»forums.edonkey2000.com/p ··· ndex.php

frustrated user

Anon

ZoneAlarm was the problem

I figured it out and it has freed up all of the peer to peer file sharing programs. I used to have zone alarm on my old connection and I removed it from the start menu because I was using dial-up for awhile and it seemed unecessary. So for some reason even though it wasn't actively running, it was blocking all of the ports. All I did was uninstall the program and I was able to do file sharing again. So let that be a lesson

some_user_that_answe to somebodeez

Anon

to somebodeez

Re: ISP blocking certain ports

Those are source ports, so that clients dont run services on their computers.

That is different from detination ports