All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

rebooter
@154.11.x.x

rebooter

Anon

Why do I lose DNS access to Rogers every 24hrs?

Hi

I have a small network at home, 3 machines all running windows 2000. I connect to rogers using a Linksys 4 port router. One of my machines loses DNS access roughly every 24hrs. Reboot the computer and everything is fine. The other 2 computers seem to be effected too but at longer intervals. When this happens I the computer affected is still part of the network. I can still move files back and forth. The machine has the correct DNS entries and IP address. I can't even ping. An error message appears saying that name cannot be resolved. Its very strange!!

Help

Thanks.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Have you tried getting the latest firmware for the Linksys router? That could be the root of all your problems, since it manages DNS from Rogers, as well as distributing DNS to the computers to your LAN machines...

rebooter
@154.11.x.x

rebooter to rebooter

Anon

to rebooter
Yes I have.

I don't think it is the router since it doesn't affect all the computers at the same time or the same frequentcy.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Try setting the DNS servers on the computers to 192.168.1.1, which means they'll get the most current ones from the router.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki

said by HiVolt:
Try setting the DNS servers on the computers to 192.168.1.1, which means they'll get the most current ones from the router.
Good idea, I was having problmes awhile back with DNS resolves, I'm still sure that it was a problem with rogers...but my solution was assign external DNS address for each computer.

Doing a quick search will find you a pile of diffrent DNS tables that you can connect to.

The ones I used were:
ns1.mindspring.com (207.69.188.185)
ns2.mindspring.com (207.69.188.186)
ns3.mindspring.com (207.69.188.187)