Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to sbrook

Re: Ughh... wacky inconsistant results...

The thing is, when they imposed the cap, I had consistant 1200kbps+, and it just keeps getting lower and lower... Very rarely I get a result of over 1200kbps or even close to it for that matter these days. I tried tweaks but it doesnt affect anything. Off peak its the same. not much difference. And I did try downloading from tucows, as well as university of toronto (i used to pull over 1MB/sec off this with Shaw) and the speeds are spikey, often dropping to well below 100KB/sec... I don't do any online gaming these days so I cant tell you how stable the pings are... And that upload drop spike every 1 minute is still bothering me...
--
Crunch for Team Discovery!
Also visit www.ihaterogers.ca and Planet MADtv

Uriel3

join:2001-11-26
said by HiVolt:
The thing is, when they imposed the cap, I had consistant 1200kbps+, and it just keeps getting lower and lower... Very rarely I get a result of over 1200kbps or even close to it for that matter these days. I tried tweaks but it doesnt affect anything. Off peak its the same. not much difference...
Same here HiVolt, and I'm sure we number among the many. When Roger's first imposed the caps I was getting very consistent download speeds ranging; 1100-1250dn the uploads for me has remained very good at 180-185 but as of the last three weeks or so my download speeds have been all over the place. During normal hours I now range; 930-1197 and during peak hours, evenings and weekends am now averaging; 440-860 which is very poor. I hope this is not a sign of future deterioration in service. I've tried powerful tweaks also without any noticeable differences in speeds which leads me to believe that Roger's may be manipulating or haltering the caps as per network congestion, subscriber complaints and demand.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to HiVolt
There is something about the way the caps work that really doesn't seem to work properly.

One would think that if you got 2 MBits/sec on a 3 MBit/sec cap, that you should get 1.5 or pretty darned close to it on a 1.5 Mbits/sec cap, but it doesn't work that way ... you'll get instead 1 Mbit/sec.

Part of it, I can understand ... your acknowledge packets are slower getting back to the sending host, so they are effectively automatically throttling your speed back.

But I agree, it's frustrating.

Stuart

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to Uriel3
said by Uriel:
During normal hours I now range; 930-1197 and during peak hours, evenings and weekends am now averaging; 440-860 which is very poor.
With those kind of speeds, I'd be complaining loudly to Rogers, and if I got anyone telling me to reinstall windoze or drivers, I'd be asking for management in short order.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to sbrook
said by sbrook:
There is something about the way the caps work that really doesn't seem to work properly.

One would think that if you got 2 MBits/sec on a 3 MBit/sec cap, that you should get 1.5 or pretty darned close to it on a 1.5 Mbits/sec cap, but it doesn't work that way ... you'll get instead 1 Mbit/sec.

Yeah no kidding. I used to get a very steady 2200+ down before the caps. Now its all over the place not even anywhere close to 1500. Partly to blame is the reduced and crippled upload speed I think, as the acknowledge packets have to travel back to Rogers, and if you're trying to download at high speeds, these packets have a hard time getting back... Another possibility is that Rogers isn't full duplex, like Shaw used to be for me. With shaw, I could use my full available upstream of over 125KB/sec and still download at 600KB/sec+ without any loss of speed on either transfer. Since Rogers took over, they've switched it to half duplex, and if I send anything at my max upload speed of 20-22KB/sec, whatever I'm downloading at the time will drop to a pathetic speed, sometimes slower than the upload itself!
--
Crunch for Team Discovery!
Also visit www.ihaterogers.ca and Planet MADtv

Uriel3

join:2001-11-26

reply to sbrook
said by sbrook:
With those kind of speeds, I'd be complaining loudly to Rogers, and if I got anyone telling me to reinstall windoze or drivers, I'd be asking for management in short order.
I can understand not always receiving a stable near capped speed of 1500/190. When the caps were at 3000/380 I was averaging around 2200-360 but why can't Roger's stabilize their nodes and lines to make it more consistent and closer to what in my case would be more acceptable say like 1200/180. For me, the evenings and weekends are the only times when the download speeds are always unusually very slow when compared to other times..
[text was edited by author 2002-09-04 11:21:04]