uniqs

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to HiVolt

Mod

to HiVolt

Re: Ughh... wacky inconsistant results...

There is something about the way the caps work that really doesn't seem to work properly.

One would think that if you got 2 MBits/sec on a 3 MBit/sec cap, that you should get 1.5 or pretty darned close to it on a 1.5 Mbits/sec cap, but it doesn't work that way ... you'll get instead 1 Mbit/sec.

Part of it, I can understand ... your acknowledge packets are slower getting back to the sending host, so they are effectively automatically throttling your speed back.

But I agree, it's frustrating.

Stuart

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by sbrook:
There is something about the way the caps work that really doesn't seem to work properly.

One would think that if you got 2 MBits/sec on a 3 MBit/sec cap, that you should get 1.5 or pretty darned close to it on a 1.5 Mbits/sec cap, but it doesn't work that way ... you'll get instead 1 Mbit/sec.

Yeah no kidding. I used to get a very steady 2200+ down before the caps. Now its all over the place not even anywhere close to 1500. Partly to blame is the reduced and crippled upload speed I think, as the acknowledge packets have to travel back to Rogers, and if you're trying to download at high speeds, these packets have a hard time getting back... Another possibility is that Rogers isn't full duplex, like Shaw used to be for me. With shaw, I could use my full available upstream of over 125KB/sec and still download at 600KB/sec+ without any loss of speed on either transfer. Since Rogers took over, they've switched it to half duplex, and if I send anything at my max upload speed of 20-22KB/sec, whatever I'm downloading at the time will drop to a pathetic speed, sometimes slower than the upload itself!