spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hector316

join:2001-07-21
York, ON

Rogers Inconsistent connection Please Help.

I've with Rogers HI speed for more than 1 year now. Signed up on May 2001.

About 1 week ago I noticed the red lights flash on my Terayon Modem.

It normally means Rogers applies some sort of update.

Well after everything went back to normal I have been encountering problems where I lose the internet connection 1 minute and the next minute or 2 it comes back.

I am using a SOHOWARE ethernet card that came with the Rogers installation and I updated the drivers for the card today. It still hasn't resolved the issue of the inconsistent connectivity to the Internet.

Could someone list some troubleshooting tips that I can try before I call the inept Rogers Technical support?

Is anyone experiencing similar problems connecting to Rogers in the North York, Toronto area?

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada

I'm guessing that you have not changed anything in your hardware setup am I right? If that is the case then there are a few things to check. Firstly have you noticed any change in your TV's clarity? Any buzzing or blurry picture?

How long was your modem off for? If it was more that a minute or two then there could be some sort of problem with your lines. An easy way to tell is if your TV picture is messed up.

You should just call rogers and tell them your problem. Ask them to check your modem levels and all that stuff.

Before you call make sure you reboot your modem for a good 5 minutes so you don't have to do it while you are on the phone with them.

Steve
--
If we are what we eat, then i am fast, cheap and easy!!!

Hector316

York, ON

I never installed any new hardware or software that is why I find it weird.

My TV picture is fine nothing blurry detected.

It was less than a minute.

The red light went on again yesterday quickly and I was hoping they fixed something but it is the same.

How do I perform a power cycle with the modem?

Baby Blue

join:2002-08-17

I had the same problem when I first signed up to rogers, after numerous calls one the the tech tol me it was because the dhcp server was stealing back my IP. It took a good 2 weeks before it was resolved and as far as I know it just kind of fixed it's self. good luck

Hector316

York, ON

Thanks.

I've been doing line quality tests and it fails most of the tests except for the last test that it passes.

I've power cycled my modem and triple checked all my ethernet card settings and everything is properly set.

Now I keep noticing the modem's Message light turn red when the internet is slow for less than a minute so I'm guessing its something on their network so I will call them and notify them of this weird problem I've been having for more than 1 week.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Make sure you keep calling Rogers... They send out "work tickets" but nothing ever gets done. Also don't expect anyone to call you back, even if they say they will. I've had tons of problems regarding connection freezing for minutes to hours at a time, not being able to regain connectivity after powercycling the modem & computer. I have since developed a "why bother" attitude and I just wait till it fixes itself.
--
Crunch for Team Discovery!
Also visit www.ihaterogers.ca and Planet MADtv

Hector316

York, ON

»/quality/nil/856364

Thats the link to my line quality test results.

This is the link to my Tweak Test:

»ny-monitor.dslreports.com/tweak/···a=normal

This is the link to my speed test result:

»/speedtests/78···31431367

Weird results.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

Problem with speed ... ask Rogers to check that you haven't got a 4 times speed card in the CMTS limiting your download speed.
There is a problem with many TeraLink CMTS systems where 4* speed cards were installed, which limits your download speed by hardware to just 4 times the upload speed as a hard cap, in spite of what is set by their software.

Hector316

York, ON

Ok I phoned the Rogers Tech and they told me to uninstall ICS(Internet Connection Sharing) and test for 24 hours.

I'm still getting the slow speed and inconsistent connectivity.

Every minute or so a page times out and I just see the "Send" LED light flash and then the next minute it connects.

They pinged my IP and told me they were receiving duplicate packets. They performed an IP test with other high speed users within my neighbourhood and they said everything is fine.

Maybe I'll just try uninstalling the SOHOware card and reinstall the card driver again.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

Duplicate packets ?

Uninstall ICS ? Yeah right. Another bogus shot in the dark from Tech support.

Sounds like someone is trying to statically assign themselves the IP address that you're assigned to.

Hector316

York, ON

How do I know if someone is trying to statically assign themselves the IP address that I'm assigned to.

How do I change IP addresses? I tried the release all and renew all function and it still assigns the same IP address.

I did a tweak test after uninstalling ICS and noticed I no longer had problems with pinging.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

How is your network set up ?

Hector316

York, ON

I have 2 NICs in my main PC connected to rogers.

One NIC connects to Rogers and the other connects to 1 PC which is sharing files and the Internet with a CAT 5 cable.

I have reinstalled ICS anyway because that was domb advice from the tech support.

I have had this setup for more than 1 year and I have never had any problems until 2 weeks ago.

I never installed any new hardware or software and suddenly I get inconsistent Rogers connection.

Phoned the tech support again and was told the power went out in their building so they have to call me back regarding my suggestion of changing the IP address.

Uriel3

join:2001-11-26

My connection has been very inconsistent also ever since Roger's imposed the 1500/190 speed caps especially when comparing the download speeds between daytime, evenings and weekends.
[text was edited by author 2002-09-10 21:39:41]

Hector316

York, ON

Fixed the problem.

My second NIC had an incorrect TCP/IP setting which was causing this problem.

Everything seems to run be running much smoother now.

Now I can proceed to figuring out the correct RWIN to use for my capped 1.5 Mbps.

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
reply to Hector316

yea I'm in that area to.. I called and they said there was something wrong with the equipment on their side.. They would send out a tech to replace the servers sometime or another... they also have to fix the cable line under my street because it's corroded