Ok I phoned the Rogers Tech and they told me to uninstall ICS(Internet Connection Sharing) and test for 24 hours.I'm still getting the slow speed and inconsistent connectivity.Every minute or so a page times out and I just see the "Send" LED light flash and then the next minute it connects.They pinged my IP and told me they were receiving duplicate packets. They performed an IP test with other high speed users within my neighbourhood and they said everything is fine.Maybe I'll just try uninstalling the SOHOware card and reinstall the card driver again.
Duplicate packets ?Uninstall ICS ? Yeah right. Another bogus shot in the dark from Tech support.Sounds like someone is trying to statically assign themselves the IP address that you're assigned to.
How do I know if someone is trying to statically assign themselves the IP address that I'm assigned to.How do I change IP addresses? I tried the release all and renew all function and it still assigns the same IP address.I did a tweak test after uninstalling ICS and noticed I no longer had problems with pinging.
How is your network set up ?
I have 2 NICs in my main PC connected to rogers.One NIC connects to Rogers and the other connects to 1 PC which is sharing files and the Internet with a CAT 5 cable.I have reinstalled ICS anyway because that was domb advice from the tech support.I have had this setup for more than 1 year and I have never had any problems until 2 weeks ago.I never installed any new hardware or software and suddenly I get inconsistent Rogers connection.Phoned the tech support again and was told the power went out in their building so they have to call me back regarding my suggestion of changing the IP address.
My connection has been very inconsistent also ever since Roger's imposed the 1500/190 speed caps especially when comparing the download speeds between daytime, evenings and weekends.[text was edited by author 2002-09-10 21:39:41]
Fixed the problem.My second NIC had an incorrect TCP/IP setting which was causing this problem.Everything seems to run be running much smoother now.Now I can proceed to figuring out the correct RWIN to use for my capped 1.5 Mbps.