how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

login name
Premium
join:2000-08-11

Bad memory causing CRC errors?

Today, I downloaded a huge zip file from easynews that had 53 .rar files in it. Unzipping the file, I got a couple of CRC errors on some of the .rar files, so i just individually downloaded those again. However, when i went to extract the divx movie from all of the rar files, I kept getting crc errors on different files. Every time I would run winrar, I would get a different file causing a crc error. After being frustrated long enough, I decided to remove two sticks of my RAM and voila...no crc errors. Seems to me more than just a coincidence, however I would like to be sure. Can bad memory cause errors such as that?

Here are some specs.

Athlonxp 1600+
3x256mb crucial pc2100 DDR
40gb hd
windows xp pro.

Now, I do suspect it is the ram that is bad, but how can I be sure. Also, is there anything else that would cause CRC errors with .rar files? I only seem to get those when i unzip really large files with winzip or with winrar.
--
Asked by CBS television if he would prefer bin Laden be killed rather than captured alive, he said: ``Oh, my goodness gracious, yes, after what he's done. You bet your life.''

SVTRanger

join:2001-07-17
It could be possible. If it's DDR, then yes, there could be a possibility.

What I suggest is that you run some tests to check if the ram is truely going bad.

Spectral
Likes Cookies
Premium
join:2002-05-03
Salem, OR
reply to login name
Here's a prog to test your ram
»www.memtest86.com/

I've never heard of crc being cause by bad ram though as far as I know lol its possible. Usually, from what I understand, its because the file was corrupt to begin with/packed wrong/dload glitched. Heck if I can remember, but I recall seeing someone mention once some way you could force it to go ahead and unzip even with the errors and that sometimes the file was still good anyway(hopefully someone can chime in with that)
I've also seen posts of people with xp having trouble with crc errors lately.
--
"FlyingThere is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."~Douglas Adams

4play

join:2001-01-02
Puyallup, WA
reply to login name
CRC Errors = Abbreviation of cyclic redundancy check, a common technique for detecting data transmission errors. A number of file transfer protocols, including Zmodem, use CRC in addition to checksum.

Protocols = An agreed-upon format for transmitting data between two devices. The protocol determines the following:
the type of error checking to be used
data compression method, if any
how the sending device will indicate that it has finished sending a message
how the receiving device will indicate that it has received a message
There are a variety of standard protocols from which programmers can choose. Each has particular advantages and disadvantages; for example, some are simpler than others, some are more reliable, and some are faster.

From a user's point of view, the only interesting aspect about protocols is that your computer or device must support the right ones if you want to communicate with other computers. The protocol can be implemented either in hardware or in software.

Zmodem = An asynchronous communications protocol that provides faster data transfer rates and better error detection than Xmodem. In particular, Zmodem supports larger block sizes and enables the transfer to resume where it left off following a communications failure.

Checksum = A simple error-detection scheme in which each transmitted message is accompanied by a numerical value based on the number of set bits in the message. The receiving station then applies the same formula to the message and checks to make sure the accompanying numerical value is the same. If not, the receiver can assume that the message has been garbled.
--
»www.Gz.mov1ez.com

Spectral
Likes Cookies
Premium
join:2002-05-03
Salem, OR
reply to login name
remembered something else. You have the latest version of winrar?

Cariad
Logo Queen
Premium,ExMod 2001-03
join:2000-07-02
Staten Island, NY
reply to login name
said by shaggy2002:
Also, is there anything else that would cause CRC errors with .rar files?
Try downloading and installing QuickSFV, it verifies the integrity of all the files using a CRC check. Any modification in size or structure to the file, will cause the CRC check to fail.
--
Ryw in fwy na perffaith rydw in Gymraes.

login name
Premium
Thanks Cariad, and others for your replies.

I downloaded QuickSFV, but unfortunately, I do not have a .svf file to compare it to but I did find another similiar program that checks for crc's without the svf file. Using only one stick of RAM, I ran it and not one single error, however with three sticks of ram back in, I found that there were errors. I think its time to make good on Crucials lifetime guarentee and return the memory for a replacement. Im convinced its the memory.
--
Asked by CBS television if he would prefer bin Laden be killed rather than captured alive, he said: ``Oh, my goodness gracious, yes, after what he's done. You bet your life.''

RR206

join:2001-12-11
united state
reply to login name
Yep, I had the same problem, I just got my replacement from newegg on my 256 Crucial stick. I had the stick for 8 months, so it was cool of them to take care of it and not just say "Go talk to Crucial."

trparky
Android... get back here
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:4
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to login name
Another cause of some memory problems are mixing memory modules.

Why I say that is what I state below. Some people have problems with Windows itself when mixing memory, especially with the Windows NT platform.

Did you upgrade your RAM all at once? If not, make sure that you have the same type, brand, and model RAM modules.

Every RAM module has a memory controller on-board. The memory controller tells the computer how to talk to it, and sometimes, another memory module doesn't talk the same way that the other module does, thus the system gets confused since it is getting mixed signals on which way to talk to the RAM.
--
WedgeAntilles250

login name
Premium
Nope, all three sticks are the same thing, purchased at the same time, etc.

256 pc2100 Crucial DDR.

login name
Premium
reply to RR206
I wish I bought mine at newegg.com. I think I bought mine at CompUSA when they had a great deal on them. AFter rebate, each stick was around 30 dollars. That was about a year ago. I am just so sick of all of these errors, and I know its the RAM. I think I have to directly deal with crucial on this one.

thanks.
--

login name
Premium
reply to Spectral
Should I run the test with all three sticks of ram in there, or just one at a time. Looks like this program, when doing all 11 tests, takes close to 5.5 hours!!

RR206

join:2001-12-11
united state
reply to login name
I used DocMemory.»www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products ··· info.asp

It's free and small. It makes a boot disk and does the test in dos, seems to be pretty fast, didn't take any time at all to find errors. But I would do one stick at a time...

dragon
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-30
Spring, TX
kudos:1

reply to login name
i wouldn't be too quick to condemn your memory. the mb may not be able to handle all three sticks at one time, regardless of what the manual says.
just a thought to consider.

also, when running memtest, i would recommend one stick at a time. plus, let the test repeat itself severals for a few hours. i usually will let it run overnight.
[text was edited by author 2002-09-11 16:32:58]

Desi
Premium
join:2002-05-05
Kanata, ON
reply to login name
it's happened...i had it

login name
Premium
You had what?

Similar RAM problems?

callihn4

join:2002-01-10
Space
reply to login name
Please check your other post in which I have provided you plenty of answers:

»what causes CRC errors?

»bad memory....should I replace it? what to do?

Good Luck! But you wont need any. =o)

2kmaro
Think
Premium,ExMod 1 BC
join:2000-07-11
ColossalCave
kudos:1
reply to login name
You have to determine which one of the sticks has the problem. Run the memory test on 2 sticks:

If you get no errors, swap one stick and if you then get errors you've identified the bad one. Don't jump to conclusions: you may have 2 bad sticks.

Yep, Crucial isn't perfect. I just swapped a 256MB stick (PC2100 also) that was 6 months old back thru NewEgg.
--
Windows XP: More than a mere hindrance. It's a whole new barrier!

NutCase4
Mad Overclocker
Premium
join:2001-12-10
Livermore, CA
reply to login name
I noticed in another thread that you have A soyo Dragon + motherboard.

There is a known issue when using 3 dimms with this motherboard. Bios version K7VXA_2BA2 was supposed to fix this But it does not look like it did.

When I ran 3 dimms on my Dragon Plus I would sometimes get a BSOD (using the 2BA3 bios). Since I went back to 2 dimms, I have not had one.

It is probably nothing wrong with the memory.

AlbertQMoy
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Bayside, NY
reply to login name
Strange and I thought I was the only one with bad memory. For some reason, when I just started to read this forum, seem like lots of people have problems with their Crucial PC2100 RAM. But Crucial was really cool about RMAing it, process is going smooth. Have to give them pr0pZ!!~ 4 that.
--
"If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and try again, dust yourself off and try again, try again"

callihn4

join:2002-01-10
Space

reply to 2kmaro
said by 2kmaro:
You have to determine which one of the sticks has the problem. Run the memory test on 2 sticks:

If you get no errors, swap one stick and if you then get errors you've identified the bad one. Don't jump to conclusions: you may have 2 bad sticks.

Yep, Crucial isn't perfect. I just swapped a 256MB stick (PC2100 also) that was 6 months old back thru NewEgg.

Not sure on DocMemory but I know for a fact that Tufftest will ID the stick in question based on address and MB. Yea having more than one bad stick is not uncommon that's for sure. And sadly it seems no hardware is perfect at least not forever. One reason I think you see very few lifetime warranties in the computer industry. What I like about the TuffTest most is that you can leave it running on the machine and it keeps a log of all error it detects. It is also bootable and OS independent meaning it brings it's own OS and does not use DOS. The lite version is free and the full version is very reasonable. One of the best I have found.

DocMemory runs on DOS which I dislike so it is more of a second choice since this can have issues as noted above.

By the way although swap testing is great if your memory test is failing, your machine won't start or a program is having consistent errors but it is a very painful way to test if all you are getting is CRC errors. Since you will have to keep downloading a fairly large file to test.

[text was edited by author 2002-09-13 23:45:07]