God Is Dead
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
NYC

9 recommendations

WildGod8

Premium Member

.BIN & .CUE simple tutorial.

There always seems to be the question "what do I do with a .bin and .cue file" in these forums so I figured I would write a quick and simple tutorial. Please feel free to add more.

So you have downloaded two files, one with a .bin extension and one with a .cue extension. "What do I do with these?" you ask. There are a number of options.

BURN TO CD

You will need either NERO, CDRWIN or FIREBURNER to burn the file.

To burn with NERO:
Start NERO, choose FILE, choose BURN IMAGE, locate the .cue file you have and double click it. A dialog box will come up, for anything other than music make sure you choose DISC-AT-ONCE (DAO). You can also turn off the simulation burn if you so choose.
Then burn away.

To burn with CDRWin:
Start CDRWin, choose the button on the top left, choose LOAD CUESHEET, press START RECORDING.

To burn with Fireburner:
Start Fireburner, click on the button on the bottom left corner "VISUAL CUE BURNER/BINCHUNKER", press the right mouse button and choose LOAD TRACKS FROM .CUE and choose the correct .CUE file, press the right mouse button again and chooseselect "Burn/Test Burn", choose DISK AT ONCE (DAO), disable TEST BURN and MULTISESSION, press OK.

.CUE ERRORS
The most common error you will get with a .cue file is when it points to an incorrect path. This is easily fixed. Find the .bin file, copy the exact title including the .bin extension. Now find the .cue file, open the .cue file using notepad. It should look similar to this:

FILE "name of file.bin" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 MODE2/2352
INDEX 00 00:04:00
INDEX 01 00:06:00

Delete everything in the quotes, in this case we would
delete name of file.bin. Now place the title you copied
in between the quotes. Save the changes and close out.
Thats it, your .cue file should work now.

If your missing a .cue file you can make one easily using the tiny application found here:
»How to make a cue sheet for a bin file?

OTHER WAYS TO USE .BIN & .CUE FILES

VCDGear:
This program will allow you to extract MPEG streams from CD images, convert VCD files to MPEG, correct MPEG errors, and more.

Daemon Tools:
This program creates a virtual drive on your PC which will allow you to "mount" the .cue file and use whatever is in the .bin file without having to burn it to a cd.

ISOBuster:
This program will allow you to "bust" open the .bin file and extract the files within the .bin.

Shanto20
Don't Frown, Be Brown
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
New York, NY

Shanto20

Premium Member

Great guide! I suggest using Nero. and vcdgear is really good too.
[text was edited by author 2002-09-11 15:36:24]

dp
MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA

dp to WildGod8

MVM

to WildGod8
Good stuff wildgod! You're right, this question has been asked a few times so thanks for putting this together. I've marked it so I can point others to it who may have missed it.

WildGod8
God Is Dead
Premium Member
NYC

WildGod8

Premium Member

yeah I use NERO myself but some ppl swear by the other two so I figured I would include them.

laffalot
Crunch Tsc

join:2002-03-27
Scotland

laffalot to WildGod8

to WildGod8
Nice work there wildgod, great explanation for a reoccurring question:)

ForrestWood
Premium Member
join:2002-04-25

ForrestWood to WildGod8

Premium Member

to WildGod8
Great guide!

dumwaldo
Premium Member
join:2001-03-12

dumwaldo to WildGod8

Premium Member

to WildGod8
a note about VCDGear...

from »www.vcdgear.com/faqQA.html#2.20

2.20 Why does VCDGear cut the beginning/ends of the movie early?

First of all, I am assuming that the movie has been encoded properly and it is not the person who encoded the video that cut the ends too quickly (e.g. to skip the credits because there wasn't enough space).

There have been a few reports about this problem in the past but unfortunately, I have been unable to trace this problem since it has never happened to me. It has not come up as an issue lately.
What I can recommend is try all the options. Try extracting the movie with the Fix MPEG Errors (-fix) options turned on, and also try extracting it without the fix options. Then compare the output... are they both still missing the beginning/end? Also you might want to try comparing the output of a DAT and the output of an MPG.

If you are using RAW to MPG, try disabling Auto Cut (-nocut) and see if that helps.

watch out for this with VCDGear. if you are missing a few seconds between the end of cd1 and begining of cd2 then chances are it was from VCDGear.

i use VCDGear myself from time to time but i use the original engine with a GUI written by someone with the VCDhelp site. i posted a downloadable copy here... »Is there a way to watch VCD without burning them?

thetrav
It's About The Journey
Premium Member
join:2001-09-15
La Mesa, CA

thetrav to WildGod8

Premium Member

to WildGod8
Hey wildgod,

Will Adaptec Easy CD Creator Basic work with the process you are describing? I have yet to burn any files with .bin or .cue so your tutorial will come in very handy when I get to that point. I am knew to the whole ripping of dvd's and burning to the various formats available..

Has anyone read or seen a post or website the describes the pros and cons to the various existing formats to burn or store video formats, ie .avi, .mpeg, .vod, divx, vcd, svcd, and others I am forgetting???

A comparison guide or chart and reasons for the format would be very helpful

Thanks. Thumbs up from me!!

WildGod8
God Is Dead
Premium Member
NYC

WildGod8

Premium Member

Daemon Tools link seems to have changed from the one above its now here:
»www.daemon-tools.com/

freeze
I'm not even Greek
Premium Member
join:2001-05-13
Ohio

freeze to WildGod8

Premium Member

to WildGod8
Very nice guide, I prefer CDRwin (Easiest, less problems for me) for Bins myself, but lately I acquired a 6 gig where I stuff my ISOs and Bins and use Dameon tools to save a CD....

Thanks though.

Suttonian
Premium Member
join:2001-12-23
England

Suttonian

Premium Member

I used to burn them on to CD using Nero. For about 2-3 weeks iuse Daemon. I reccomend this. It is very good. You can check whats on the CD without burning saves time..
null9
lol
Premium Member
join:2002-04-12
Brooklyn, NY

null9 to WildGod8

Premium Member

to WildGod8
i use nero and daemon tools cant go wrong with it

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to WildGod8

Premium Member

to WildGod8
I burn using NERO!

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Nero mostly, tried the others.
Quick question on those cue files.
Often will only get bin files....what to do>>
(besides using isobuster or winiso for example)

It seems writing up a cue file in notepad would be too easy,,,, BUT..
How does one know if its mode1 or mode2 and what about those numbers 2352..

Guess looking for the quick and dirty on constructing the right cue file.
Thanks in advance