All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

wiregauze
join:2001-04-17

wiregauze

Strange keyboard behavior...

First, I believe it is not a hardware problem because on the login screen, keyboard works normally. And, a strange behavior (described below) happens only when a certain user logs in. Keyboard works perfectly normal in the other users environment. Also, it's normal too when I boot it into Linux.

I have a DELL laptop (Inspiron 3500, celeron 333 w/ 192MB) running win2k and Linux. It has a 'Fn' Key between left-Ctrl and Windows key. When you press and hold it, you can use a part of letter keys as number keys.

Without any apparent reason, it started printing numbers whenever I press those keys even when I don't press the Fn key. If I press/hold it, it prints letters. The symptom is consistent in IE, notepad, or any other applications.

For example, current behavior is:
K --> 2
Fn + K --> k
Shift + K --> nothing
Fn + Shift + K --> K

Basically if I type 'www.hotmail.com', it ends up with 'www.h6t0a53.c60'.

No virus or Trojan is ever detected by NAV and TDS.

Again, such behavior happens only when a certain user logs in. The other users in win2k and in Linux are perfectly fine.

Could anyone help me solve the mystery?

-- wiregauze

tadwood
join:2002-08-10
Lawrenceville, GA

tadwood

Since you say this only happens for one particular user, it sounds like it is a problem in that person's user profile. Unless somebody else comes up with a more specific fix, you may want delete his/her profile, and create a new one. Or, create a different user name for him/her, which will also creates a new user profile, but leaves the old one intact.

wiregauze

wiregauze

Ok, I created another account for the user. I copied My Document and Favorites directory to the new one. And emails are taken care of. Is there anything else I should pay attention to?

Thanks,
-- wiregauze

tadwood
Lawrenceville, GA

1 recommendation

tadwood to wiregauze

to wiregauze
If they use Outlook, you may need to copy their .pst file from the old user profile so they don't lose emails. Look through the Application Data and Local Settings folders to see if there are any application data or preferences that they may need. Outlook usually puts .pst files in \Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Outlook.

Locnar
The Malevolent Sphere
Premium Member
join:2000-10-12
Kansas

Locnar to wiregauze

Premium Member

to wiregauze
Hmmm, I get the exact same thing on my laptop if the Num Lock is turned on.

"Basically if I type 'www.hotmail.com', it ends up with 'www.h6t0a53.c60'."

m=0
j=1
k=2
l=3
u=4
i=5
o=6

w,h,t,a,c are on the LH side of the keyboard and are not effected by the Num Lock being on.....

osumba2001
join:2000-12-11
New Albany, OH

osumba2001 to wiregauze

to wiregauze
Sometimes a keyboard can be triggered to enter the function state such that pressing the K button will put a 2 on the screen, etc.

To restore to the normal keyboard, press the FN Key and F9 or just the NumLock key.

These 2 solutions work for me when this happens.

wiregauze

wiregauze

said by osumba2001:
To restore to the normal keyboard, press the FN Key and F9 or just the NumLock key.

These 2 solutions work for me when this happens.
I tried it, and didn't work.

I have absolutely no clue why it happens... only for that account. I scanned the process list in task manager, but found nothing suspicious.

For now, I'll just give the new account to her. I'll try to dig up the real cause when I have enough time.

Thanks,
-- wiregauze

osumba2001
join:2000-12-11
New Albany, OH

osumba2001

When in doubt, contact the computer manufacturer. Perhaps they can help.
[text was edited by author 2002-09-12 14:34:25]

Locnar
The Malevolent Sphere
Premium Member
join:2000-10-12
Kansas

Locnar to wiregauze

Premium Member

to wiregauze
NT4, W2k and XP can hold/restore the Numlock and Caplock states per profile. I have seen instances where I remote into a machine and it turns on the Capslock but the indicator on the keyboard/laptop stays off ... and have had instances where it gets 'stuck' ... but it eventually clears itself up.

tadwood
Lawrenceville, GA

tadwood to wiregauze

to wiregauze
I found this on the Dell Knowledge Base. It is similar to what osumba2001 was saying, but the key strokes are a little different.:

When a Function Key is typed, it may appear as the opposite of what it should appear. For example, if you press the <Fn> + <I> keys at the same time they may display the letter "I" when this key combination will normally produce the number "5". Also, your press the <I> key by itself, it may display a "5".

Solution

Using a Dell™ Inspiron™: Press the <Num Lock> key on the keyboard to turn it off.

Using a Dell™ Latitude™: Press the <Fn>+<Num Lock> keys at the same time to turn them off.

wiregauze

wiregauze

said by tadwood:
Solution

Using a Dell™ Inspiron™: Press the <Num Lock> key on the keyboard to turn it off.

Using a Dell™ Latitude™: Press the <Fn>+<Num Lock> keys at the same time to turn them off.
Yes, that's what is supposed to solve the issue in the first place.
In my case, it doesn't work. I should have mentioned it earlier.
Sorry.
-- wiregauze

[text was edited by author 2002-09-12 15:21:09]
wiregauze

wiregauze

I found the cause. The NumLock key was dead.
I believe the solution suggested here would have worked otherwise.

I created NumLock toggle VBS script found at How to set NUM Lock state... page in microsoft support site.
Problem solved.

Thanks all,
-- wiregauze