uniqs

Brendan
Warr Guitar
join:2000-07-14
Portland, OR

1 recommendation

Brendan

Another New Toy

OK, I mentioned it a few days ago, but I actually received it today. It's a Warr 12-string touch guitar. The same instrument Trey Gunn of King Crimson plays, except he plays a 10-string. The neck measures literally 5 inches across. It's massive, as you can see. I picked it up for a song on eBay; $1200. A new one goes for around $3000.
Brendan

Brendan

thrak.zip
675,663 bytes
(thrak.mp3)
This is the best sounding instrument I've ever played. Here's a soundbyte of me playing. (I'm still fairly new to tapping, so don't laugh :P) The first six strings (bass side) are tuned in fourths, which makes it extremely easy to play without huge reaches. The last six (guitar side) are tuned in regular fifths, like a guitar. And, it's stereo-- it has seperate outputs for each group of six strings. Now all I need is a stereo effects processor, and I'm good to go.
[text was edited by author 2002-09-13 02:02:23]

rjackson

join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA

rjackson to Brendan

to Brendan
Cool, so...can you play The ConstruKction of Light on it?

Brendan
Warr Guitar
Portland, OR

Brendan

I could if I was as good as Trey. :P

rjackson

join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
Netgear R6400
Switches Trash Bin
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

rjackson

It's amazing watching Trey play. So, I guess your left hand plays guitar and your right hand plays bass? I know Fripp plays a right-handed guitar, even though he's left-handed...like me! Except I use a right-handed mouse even though I'm left handed. Ok maybe it's not quite the same...

Damn I gotta check 2003 tour dates now!

Brendan
Warr Guitar
Portland, OR

Brendan

Well, from what I've seen Trey do, your right hand taps, and your left hand plays. It's not an open-string instrument, meaning you don't play open chords or anything. I think the guitar side is mostly for MIDI and things like that. Although, I'm sure you can play it like a Stick, if you wanted.

hyperjoe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
Gates Mills, OH

hyperjoe

Premium Member

This is one of the coolest sounding bass I have ever heard, proving you where running it dry. What gives it that sound?

Nice toy!! You should be in a band!

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

sporkme to Brendan

MVM

to Brendan
You ought to have a listen to the Charlie Hunter Trio. Charlie has a similar device that allows him to play bass and guitar at the same time. It's a might bit scary, because he does play chords and whatnot...

valmg
Neutiquam Erro.
join:2001-05-07
Brick, NJ

valmg to Brendan

to Brendan
Not to seem dumb, but what is it made of? It's pretty, it looks like hard wood.

Brendan
Warr Guitar
Portland, OR

Brendan

Ash. It has incredible tone. In the soundbyte I was using an effect, however, clean the instrument sounds amazing.