uniqs

2kmaro
Think

join:2000-07-11
Oklahoma City, OK

2kmaro to login name2

to login name2

Re: Bad memory causing CRC errors?

You have to determine which one of the sticks has the problem. Run the memory test on 2 sticks:

If you get no errors, swap one stick and if you then get errors you've identified the bad one. Don't jump to conclusions: you may have 2 bad sticks.

Yep, Crucial isn't perfect. I just swapped a 256MB stick (PC2100 also) that was 6 months old back thru NewEgg.

callihn4
join:2002-01-10
Space

callihn4

said by 2kmaro:
You have to determine which one of the sticks has the problem. Run the memory test on 2 sticks:

If you get no errors, swap one stick and if you then get errors you've identified the bad one. Don't jump to conclusions: you may have 2 bad sticks.

Yep, Crucial isn't perfect. I just swapped a 256MB stick (PC2100 also) that was 6 months old back thru NewEgg.

Not sure on DocMemory but I know for a fact that Tufftest will ID the stick in question based on address and MB. Yea having more than one bad stick is not uncommon that's for sure. And sadly it seems no hardware is perfect at least not forever. One reason I think you see very few lifetime warranties in the computer industry. What I like about the TuffTest most is that you can leave it running on the machine and it keeps a log of all error it detects. It is also bootable and OS independent meaning it brings it's own OS and does not use DOS. The lite version is free and the full version is very reasonable. One of the best I have found.

DocMemory runs on DOS which I dislike so it is more of a second choice since this can have issues as noted above.

By the way although swap testing is great if your memory test is failing, your machine won't start or a program is having consistent errors but it is a very painful way to test if all you are getting is CRC errors. Since you will have to keep downloading a fairly large file to test.

[text was edited by author 2002-09-13 23:45:07]