spc
Search similar:

uniqs
karen402
join:2002-02-20
Louisville, KY

karen402

Help With Error Msg

I've been lurking this group for awhile and finally got the nerve up to setup a two computer network using the BEFSR41. I'm not sure that is the correct term. Insight is my ISP cable provider, so now I have two computer hooked up and that's what I'm using it for.
Sorry I can't give credit because I didn't get his name but I printed someone's instruction on setting up, and using the cloning option with the router. That part went great my first computer was online.
I hooked up the second computer, and its working fine, but I'm getting an error message on my primary computer. A little yellow triangle thing pops up and says
"Windows System Error, a Duplicate Name Exist On The Network."
What have I done wrong? How do I fix this?
Something else, I'm only getting a light on port1, not getting a light on port2 which is where my other computer is plugged in.
Thanks Karen
Oh Primary computer is WinXP
Other one is WinME

Dan Tseng
join:2001-04-01
USA

Dan Tseng

The "Duplicate name" problem probably just means you gave both computers the same name when you set them up. You can change that in XP as follows:

1. click on the START button
2. click on CONTROL PANEL
3. click on SYSTEM
4. click on the "COMPUTER NAME" tab
5. click the "CHANGE..." button
6. type a different name for the computer
7. if the workgroup name is "WORKGROUP", you may want to change it to something a bit less obvious. If so, you'll also have to change the workgroup name on the WinME computer.

On the WinME computer:
1. right-click the "Network Neighborhood" icon on the desktop.
2. select "PROPERTIES"
3. click the "IDENTIFICATION" tab
4. presumably, the "COMPUTER NAME" is the same as it originally was on the XP system. As long as the two systems now have different names, both are OK.
5. if you've changed the workgroup name on the XP computer, change it on the ME computer also: all computers in the same workgroup must have exactly the same workgroup name (15 character maximum).

Now, click OK on both computers, and any additional "OK" buttons until all the prompt windows have closed. You may have to reboot one or both systems to complete the change.

These changes should take care of the "Duplicate Name" problem, but may not solve the "no light on port 2" problem. If not, add a post here to let us know what errors you're still having.

[text was edited by author 2002-09-15 04:42:29]
karen402
Louisville, KY

karen402

Thanks a lot that was it and fixed the error message. I knew where the computer name was, and what the error message was telling me but I was scared to change it because I thought that was the name generated by Insight when I registered my modem, or what ever they call it. I guess everything behind the first computer and router can, or must have a different name?
It did not fix my router light. I still only have one, and it is for the main computer.
Thanks again Karen

Dan Tseng
USA

Dan Tseng

Since the computers were able to warn you that they had the same name, and now "know" that they have different names, they must be communicating. That means the Router is at least partly working, enough to let you have a Local Area Network and Internet access for the XP machine.

Can the ME computer access the Internet? If so, maybe the Router's light isn't working, which is annoying but not all that important. You can try connecting the ME's cable to a different port on the Router.

Are the lights working on the ME computer's Network Interface Card (NIC)? They should be, since the computers detected each other.

If the ME system can't access the Internet, try connecting the XP's cable to the ME card temporarily, and then try connecting the ME's cable to a different port on the Router. Does a Router light work with the ME machine in those cases?

Can each machine "see" the other machine's hard drive, even if restrictions on file sharing prevent them from accessing folders or files? If you decide to use file sharing, be sure to set read/write passwords for the drives, but that's a separate issue from simple visibility.
karen402
Louisville, KY

karen402

I will answer the last one first, how would I know if each computer could see each other? How do you do that? Like I said I’m not real computer smart, I just print and follow directions.
I have moved the ME to a different port, still no router light.
Yes the light on the ME nic card is working.
The ME machine can access the internet, and from running a speed test, the speed is just fine.

Seeing your gracious enough to help me I have another question. I'm concerned about security and there is very little said about it in the Linksys manual. I was told by the salesman that this router has a built in firewall. Well I went to every tab I could find in the setup program and didn’t see it. That's only the partial question. I installed the free version of ZoneAlarm on my XP computer and my other computer ME is trying to access or ping, I don't know the terminology of this one. This has nothing to do with my no light problem I just installed ZA a few minutes ago. Why would my other computer be trying to get into this computer?
Sorry this is so long.
Thanks Karen

Dan Tseng
USA

Dan Tseng

If both computers can access the 'net, then the Router's working for you, and I wouldn't worry about the light.

We're actually changing topics here, but...

The firewall is mostly ON by default. There are instructions elsewhere in this Forum for fine-tuning the Router, and I really don't want to get into that here. But, two things you should do for sure: access the Router, then:

1) change the password from ADMIN to something the rest of the world doesn't also know (and write down the password so you will be able to access the Router in the future);

2) in the "Advanced" section, on the bottom of the "Filters" page, make sure "Block WAN request" is ON and everything else is OFF, (and click APPLY after setting it).

The computers are pinging each other because that's what workstations on a LAN do -- it's how they know the others exist.
karen402
Louisville, KY

karen402

Thanks for your help.
I will keep looking for a solution to the no light problem, I know everything works, but I've done something wrong here.
You did get me up and running.
Thanks again Karen

fauzt0
Premium Member
join:2001-04-07
New London, CT

fauzt0 to karen402

Premium Member

to karen402
Is the no light problem because your ME machine isnt a 100mb NIC...I have an old 3com ISA card on my old comp on the network and the lil light with the 100 next to it never lights up...Because its not a 100mb card....
karen402
Louisville, KY

karen402

I'm not sure. The Insight tech installed it a couple of years ago when I signed up for cable.
How can I find out?
Thanks